Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my radiator fan is not working help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my radiator fan is not working help!

well to start off i had a stock b16 then i turbod it and it turn out my fan was hitting the turbo so i got a slim fan it didnt come with the plug so i ran it to the battery with a switch...and after i took out the turbo i tried putting the stock fan on and it does not work anymore i checked the fuse...changed the fan still does not work any help is appreciated thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my fan is not working help!

any help ???
Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a meter and your temp gauge to make sure the fan is receiving power when the engine exceeds normal operating temp. If it does not, check the connections and then replace the fan switch.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the fan switch? if its not recieving power wouldnt it mean the fan motor is bad? cause i did replace it with another fan and it still didnt work
Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my radiator fan is not working help!

On the thermostat housing. It completes the fan motor's electrical connection when heated sufficiently and if it doesn't, the fan won't turn on whether it works or not.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh ok but yeah yesterday i found there was a broken sensor on the side it a water sensor that little one plug thing that sticks out like a nipple i guess..but yeah i plug that in let it idle for about 20 minutes it got to normal operating temperature did not go up i let it idle at normal operating temp for about 5 to 10 minutes then took it for a drive step on it twice and still didnt over heat... but i didnt hear the fan turn on once
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

broken sensor on the side it a water sensor that little one plug thing that sticks out like a nipple i guess
have no idea what ur talking about, the bottom hose of the radiator follow it back to where it connects to the engine. thats the thermostat housing, there should be a lil connector on it firewall side thats the rad fan switch. disconnect it and using a paperclip or bare wire to connect both pins (actual part that detaches) if ur fan comes on either the switch is bad, u dont have enough coolant or theres air in the system. try bleeding it out 1st. if it doesnt come on hook the fan up directly to the battery if it doesnt come on replace the fan, if it does its prolly the relay but ceck wiring b4 u replace the relay make sure erthing is there hooked up and in good condition feeewww what a mouth full lol goodluck
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i did the paper clip thing and it turned on my fan so if anything im gonna take out the sensor and atleast try to clean it
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

the single nipple is the sensor that sends signal to your cluster for temperature
Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
ok i did the paper clip thing and it turned on my fan so if anything im gonna take out the sensor and atleast try to clean it

I have the same problem with my h22, the fan comes on after the car turns off, but will not turn while the key is turned. I try to hardwire the fan switch (paperclip) and the fan still didnt turn on.

Is this a sign that my sensor (fan switch) is bad? or could it be the thermostat is bad?

please help
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure honestly but you can take this thread i think i have my problem fixed
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem with my h22, the fan comes on after the car turns off, but will not turn while the key is turned. I try to hardwire the fan switch (paperclip) and the fan still didnt turn on.

Is this a sign that my sensor (fan switch) is bad? or could it be the thermostat is bad?

please help
t-stat has nothing to do with the fan coming on(electrictly i mean) u have a completely different problem cuz obviouslyly the fan motor and relay r both good since they come on with the out the key. r u sure ur jumping out the right disconnect? u should start ur own thread, state what u have done already and post pics of what u have used i.e. the disconnect ur using so u can get more help with that. idk if h22s are the same but im sure other people can help.