Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Poor Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Poor Honda

this happened yesterday in the school parking lot, i was inside staying after to catch up on some work when all of a sudden my friend grant comes in and says how long are you going to be, i said about a minute or so, he says i just hit your car and ripped off the bumper, i didnt believe him at first because he was parked next to me...i was wrong, he said he turned out too soon and smacked the bumper and ripped it off...780 worth of damage...oh well should be fixed soon. just a story for today

EDIT: i know 700 sounds like alot but what i dont have pictured is the actual metal bumber it bent and cracked...dont know how fast he was going to cause that...but damn
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Poor Honda

how does 780 dollars add up if just your bumper fell off
Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, whoever quoted you 780 bucks for a new painted bumper is trying to rape you in the @$$ without lube. back bumper from Honda should be 200-250. and you can find a decent place to color match, fade match, and paint the bumper for about 100-150. quit parkin next to that friend lol... but on the bright side, atleast it was your friend and he told you. most people wouldnt have even stopped, let alone tell you about it. oh and i gotta say it, you were stayin over after school... were you gettin some "extra credit" man? lol
Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG6KILIN
how does 780 dollars add up if just your bumper fell off
edited in first post, also the bumber will need ne be replaced(160) because of all the spider webs and painted(last time i went to get touch up paint it was 85 dollars a can)
Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
dude, whoever quoted you 780 bucks for a new painted bumper is trying to rape you in the @$$ without lube. back bumper from Honda should be 200-250. and you can find a decent place to color match, fade match, and paint the bumper for about 100-150. quit parkin next to that friend lol... but on the bright side, atleast it was your friend and he told you. most people wouldnt have even stopped, let alone tell you about it. oh and i gotta say it, you were stayin over after school... were you gettin some "extra credit" man? lol
haha ya...atleast he was cool about it, im not paying for it so its all good, he didint want to go through insurance because his would go up so hes paying out of pocket, the shop owner is their uncle so hes cutting them a break to around 400 or so...

and yes i was shootin for some EC...lol
Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

w00t w00t for extra credit... i miss my school days man, my high school teachers were freakin sexy. either way, sorry to hear about your car man... hope their shop does good work and fixes you up.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$780? Looks minor here's some work I did with my dad on his EK and besides the paint job, bumper, andbumper cover from the junk yard...it was still way under that and his had structural damage.
Attached Images      
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was he trying to impress a girl or something?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ that car came out nice
Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ouch ! hope he pays for it !
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

w00t w00t for extra credit... i miss my school days man, my high school teachers were freakin sexy. either way, sorry to hear about your car man... hope their shop does good work and fixes you up.
I never had one good looking teacher!!! maybe why I hated school.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they should have more hot teachers. i always made better grades in those classes lol
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MWLW20
$780? Looks minor here's some work I did with my dad on his EK and besides the paint job, bumper, andbumper cover from the junk yard...it was still way under that and his had structural damage.
wow. your quarter panel buckled just like mine did when i was rear ended.
but BOTH of mine buckled and i need a new trunk and tail lights.
ugh. but on the bright side i got 5k from insurance and bought another car.
will cost $700 to fix and paint the back of my car once i get the parts.
so $800 in total.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you can get a "made in taiwan" bumper cover $45 and a full paintjob from maeco for $500 pretty good paintjob

that's with a FULL paintjob
Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ I would rather roll around in flat black then have a 500 dollar Special From maeco on my car. Just my .02 cents tho.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like your friend needs to learn how to drive... anyone that can't back out of a parking space should not be on the road.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay, so I'm assuming only the bumper and bumper beam need to be replaced (could very well be wrong).

I want you to call up local salvage yards or use car-part.com to find both parts. More than likely if they have one part they will have the other.

Now get some quotes for those parts and anything else you might need.

Go to some of the yards. Find parts that you're happy with.

Purchase them.

Schedule your parts for paint.

Put the parts on the car.

Drive to get it painted. Have the painter match the paint to the paint currently on the car (some paint colors might not look perfect if they don't match it up).

Pay less than you were quoted. Don't have insurance jump up (if insured).
Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who runs into a parked car? dam thats sad is hell!

Well from the pics it don't look bad at all man. I work in a body shop and see this **** everyday. also see way worse every dam day. this is not no dam 700 dollar job. nor a 400 job. A Honda Bumper is around $40 and the expensive part is getting someone to lay some paint thats not gonna chip off in 8 months. theirs a special spray that we lay down before we spray the base coat and this helps the paint stick to the plastic surface. The Paint is gonna be around $35 and clear coat around $40 . but you gotta pay the material and have someone lay it for you will cost a total of like $180. Maco had a sell not to long ago to paint bumpers for $120. but im sure thats over.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1LowSol
^^ I would rather roll around in flat black then have a 500 dollar Special From maeco on my car. Just my .02 cents tho.
There is nothing wrong with Maaco. My neighbor just opened up his own shop and it each shop varies. If you want a custom paint job go to a custom shop but if you get a base/clear it doesn't come out to bad and you get you 5 year warranty. Right now is actually not a bad time to go there well at least his shop...with the economy bad a lot of the local custom shops have gone out and some veteran guys are working at his.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha thanks man, ya we had 1 good looking teacher but she went preggo so shes out this year maybe next year if we're lucky.
Originally Posted by NOFX
Okay, so I'm assuming only the bumper and bumper beam need to be replaced (could very well be wrong).

I want you to call up local salvage yards or use car-part.com to find both parts. More than likely if they have one part they will have the other.

Now get some quotes for those parts and anything else you might need.

Go to some of the yards. Find parts that you're happy with.

Purchase them.

Schedule your parts for paint.

Put the parts on the car.

Drive to get it painted. Have the painter match the paint to the paint currently on the car (some paint colors might not look perfect if they don't match it up).

Pay less than you were quoted. Don't have insurance jump up (if insured).
Im not paying for it so it really doesnt matter how it gets done, just as though it gets done...
Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 AM
New User

Ok I know this is totally off subject, but I have a question:

We are getting the P1361 error even after replacing the distributor. Grrr. My husband says that the 96 Honda Accord TDC sensor is actually IN the distributor. However, many forums seems to disagree. Can you please clarify where the TDC sensor is in a 96 Honda Accord? My husband seems to think the location of this sensor was different in the 95-97 Accords.

Hopeful,

Gwen

P.S. Its a V6 2.7. To clarify my husband says the 95-97 models came with the TDC sensor actually IN the distributor.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1LowSol
dude my buddys EJ8 has a macco paintjob and it looks great
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gcarpenter74
Ok I know this is totally off subject, but I have a question:

We are getting the P1361 error even after replacing the distributor. Grrr. My husband says that the 96 Honda Accord TDC sensor is actually IN the distributor. However, many forums seems to disagree. Can you please clarify where the TDC sensor is in a 96 Honda Accord? My husband seems to think the location of this sensor was different in the 95-97 Accords.

Hopeful,

Gwen

P.S. Its a V6 2.7. To clarify my husband says the 95-97 models came with the TDC sensor actually IN the distributor.
Make your own thread in the Accord section. You'll get much better results if you (1) make your own thread and (2) make it in the correct section.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Make your own thread in the Accord section. You'll get much better results if you (1) make your own thread and (2) make it in the correct section.
exactly
Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tell the insurance to write you a check for the initilal quote and take everyones advice in getting junkyard parts "most likely oem honda" and pocket the rest of the money

or you can just spend $780 on a car that's at least 14 years old to have a "like new bumper"

Quick Reply: My Poor Honda