Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my plan for 500hp+

Hi
i would to share my plan and to get some experience:

Honda del Sol Setup

1.Engine B16A(still thinking about change my block) please give me advice
2.ECU (p30- and thinking about motec still learning about it)
3.Transmission (it last thing)
-
Engine B16A Setup
1.skunk2 valves.done skunk2 valve springs.done skunk2 titanium Retainers.done KMS Guides.done KMS seals.done
2.Skunk2 Camshafts Pro1+ Series.done gears(im here) rocker arms(thinking).
3.Sleeving Block(where i can find Sleeve kits??). Stroker Kits (not from one company)
after all these

i will be here
Transmission
Turbo 35 psi
ECU
so what ur thinking? can i get 500hp? any advices?

Modified by q8delsol at 1:53 PM 9/19/2006
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Re: my plan for 500hp+ (q8delsol)

That depends on the tune and the size of turbo you are going to use to be able to hit 500hp.

As always theres no replacement for displacement no matter what you are doing.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my plan for 500hp+ (LowSlow93Sol)

darton makes some nice sleeves for that engine, Eagle pistons, rods, Skunk2 head work, ALL PROFESSIONALLY DONE!!! then run a good fuel managment such as AEM, Neptune, or CHROME, and pay like $700-1000 for a dyno tune and with a legit turbo you will have ur 500hp its not cheap man!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As always theres no replacement for displacement no matter what you are doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sure there is, its called compression, engineering, and tuning

i always hated that saying, how do you think hondas make any power out of sub 2-liter engines?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: my plan for 500hp+ (sol2hatch)

mmm darton can i order from the net? i want sleeve kits if u know
Eagle pistons or Wiseco
last thing the dyno tune
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i always hated that saying, how do you think hondas make any power out of sub 2-liter engines? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM

I wanna see this shiz when/if it's done.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure there is, its called compression, engineering, and tuning

i always hated that saying, how do you think hondas make any power out of sub 2-liter engines? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I didnt know that Honda engines made power from the factory..

Given the same compression, tuning, and engineering; a bigger motor will ALWAYS make more power. There is no way that you can argue that.

A two liter Honda motor makes 237hp at 7800RPM while the Next gen small block Chevy motors put out oh....like 505hp. Exact same compression ratio.(almost) And they actually have torque and gas mileage is practically equal.

Modified motors will see bigger gains from bigger displacements. Do you see anything under 2500CCs running sub 5 second timeslips?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would swap in for a larger block such as the GSR or a LS/VTEC - or even a H22 O.O

Wouldn't go with an ITR b/c that's high comp for NA power but u'll need FI if u want that much for a non-rediculous price (and when I say FI I include nitrous)...I'd say any B18/B20 would be good, I'd decline from the H22/H24's b/c H parts are usually a bit harder to find and a bit more expensive.

That's my $0.02, not lookin for a bash, just tellin ya what I think :-\.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

h22 ftw
Old 09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think this kid has a clue about how to make 500hp. So far, let's see: he's put shitty Skunk2 components into his head and he's convinced that he wants to run 35 pounds of boost.

That's about enough to tell me that 500hp will never happen
Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking about doing a similar build about a year ago. You are going to need to put the entire thing into perspective. Are you going to have enough money to do the build first off. Then if you do, will you have enough money for other thing that you need day-to-day? Do you really need a car with 500+hp? I hope you don't plan on daily driving this car, cause it will be way more than a handful on the street with DOT approved street tires.

Now that I pretty much shattered your bubble. There are way more things that go into a build than just the parts. FYI, MoTec will cost probably more than your car is worth stock. You can get very similar results with Crome, hondata, or if you feel like spending money, AEM EMS.

As far as the sleeves go, Benson has much better quality than Dart. I've seen dart sleeves and they don't look as durable and sturdy as Benson's sleeves. Besides Benson has been in business for longer than I have been alive.

And on top of all of this you are going to need to do something about your suspension. How are you going to get all that hp to the ground?

What I'm saying is that you need to REALLY think about this entire process before you just dive right in and blow thousands of dollars on parts and then can't finish the build.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think this kid has a clue about how to make 500hp. So far, let's see: he's put shitty Skunk2 components into his head and he's convinced that he wants to run 35 pounds of boost.

That's about enough to tell me that 500hp will never happen </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, when I first read it I said to myself "with all his upgrades it's basically just a quicker street car that he wants to put on roids and make 500whp." Though I was here to offer advice, not bash him. Still think he should go with a larger block displacement, may want to invest in some better companies than skunk2 - great for street, bad if u want 500hp, VTEC killer cams would probably be good for your app, though like I said, larger block. No substitute for displacement. Big block + right changes (cams, even length turbo mani, etc.) + Turbo + lots and lots of nitrous will get you there.

And by lots and lots I was thinking very strong rods pumping 200shot direct port in each gear O.O.

Though back to reality for a second: Did you want 500whp off the bottle or on? I'd seriously recommend using the bottle for 500whp but if you want it w/o nitrous for a daily driver...blah, you're gonna need more boost and more engine work.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think this kid has a clue about how to make 500hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2
Old 09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with a gsr block for one thing.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hondas dont make power in their sub 2 liter motors, at least not real power.
there is no replacement for displacement, plain and simple. engine power is directly connected to how much fuel/air is combusted.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think this kid has a clue about how to make 500hp. So far, let's see: he's put shitty Skunk2 components into his head and he's convinced that he wants to run 35 pounds of boost.

to the OP:
to get you started on your way, id recommend you put a b16 tranny and your b16 head on a gsr block. build your bottom end to make it bullet proof, and maybe get some real valvetrain components. then get a good sized turbo boosting 14psi and find a real tuner. you'll be looking at much less than 500, but 35 psi is OVERKILL and youll be happy with the bottom end you save with the right sized turbo as opposed to a larger one running higher boost levels.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definatly use a GSR tranny. In my experiance They are a little stronger than a B16 tranny, and for the power you are going to be making you want it every bit as strong as you can. Good luck... But I'm not seeing 500 horse from your set up so far, and I'm really doubting it will be streetable if you do actually figure out how to make that much power.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (rclark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">+ Turbo + lots and lots of nitrous will get you there.

And by lots and lots I was thinking very strong rods pumping 200shot direct port in each gear O.O.

Though back to reality for a second: Did you want 500whp off the bottle or on? I'd seriously recommend using the bottle for 500whp but if you want it w/o nitrous for a daily driver...blah, you're gonna need more boost and more engine work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't think a GSR could make 500+ whp without the bottle? I feel bad for you then. It doesn't take a 200shot direct port injection plus boost to make 500 hp on a built engine.

Oh I forgot to mention that 35psi is close to what the professional drag guys run. With the right components that compliment eachother well a 500 whp could be had on probably 15-18 psi possibly less. It just depends on the size of the turbo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rclark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would definatly use a GSR tranny. In my experiance They are a little stronger than a B16 tranny, and for the power you are going to be making you want it every bit as strong as you can. Good luck... But I'm not seeing 500 horse from your set up so far, and I'm really doubting it will be streetable if you do actually figure out how to make that much power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even GSR trannies can't handle 500 hp for long. I talk with the guys at Laskey Racing quite often and one of our last conversations was about trannies. Last season they ran their CRX they were going through transmissions so fast that they were just buying any tranny they could find and putting in the gears that worked. So they could have a b16 1st gear then an LS second and third then a GSR 4th and ITR 5th. Stock honda transmissions aren't built for 500 hp.

I thought the same thing but you said it for me.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

I think you'll find it's a waste of money. This type of project is better undertaken by a company that can write off the whole car and use it to promote their own products.

You'd be better off going for a more tame fun to drive setup while you're still FWD.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by q8delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what ur thinking? can i get 500hp? any advices?Modified by q8delsol at 1:53 PM 9/19/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

headwork, ems, strengthen the bottom end maybe?! you have alot of work left to do and a s**t load of tuning ahead of you. better start saving now.