Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START

Ok i finished puttin everything together with my motor, but it wont start now.
Its gettin spark, and i THINK fuel, it just goes che che che che and wont actually start.
Everyhting lined up TDC and all, i dont have a timing light so i cant check ignition timing, but even if it was off it would still start, just run crappy right? Whats going on here????
I left the plugs out and let it try to crank or whatevr "Priming" it to let furl and oil into the engine before starting it. The Fuel pump turns on but is a lot louder than the stock one, its a walbro 255lph pump.

Setup is:
95 dx
95 GSr motor
CTR standard bore pistons
new rings
acl bearings
valve job hot tanked head stock head
STR Cam gears at 0,0
I have a FPR but i didnt put it on because i dont have a gauge so i dont know what im setting it at so i jsut left the stock on until i get it dyno tuned an dill let the tuners put it on.

I had the gsr motor in there for about a year or so and it ran fine minus the burning oil thing and thats why i did this, at least it ran then Im a dumbass

Please i beg of you help me!!!!!! I am on AIM b18c1ej2 if someone could really help me im right next to my non working car and if you can guide be through what to check and such please help. THanks

Old 05-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (slowdx)

dam ..sorry to hear.... i wished i knew or had an idea to throw out there..but i dont... i would be as lost as u now...

goodluck though .. imma keep track of this post cause i really wanna know whats wrong also
Old 05-30-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (cr00klyn718)

Thanks man, i checked all the fuses and everything, im gettng spark, i seem to be getting fuel i took the whole fuel rail off and injectors and checked and they were wet ansd were getting fuel and everything ijust put it backand tried and it wont i just cant think of whats wrong...... Im debating on whether or not to take it to a shop monday if i cant figure it out
Old 05-30-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (slowdx)

Maybe not enough spark with the c/r of those pistons and the GSR head? I think alot of NA guys that run high c/r have to use aftermarket ignitions to help them start.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:32 PM

throw some start fluid in there hopefully it starts a rippin, hopefully...
Old 05-30-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (transmission11)

Ok now i bought new plugs and borrowed some wires....i also messed with the ignition timing by moving the dist. Well with the gas all the way down it fought real hard and started and ran at like a very very low rpm for about 5 seconds.....then it died....SO now i know its getting fuel and spark so now im thinking timing...
No matter where i put the dist. at for ignition timing it is still not starting....
Im confused and starting to worry i didnt put it at TDC correctly when i pu tmy head on...
Ok there was no mark for TDC like a white or yellow line so i had the head off and i put ht emotor to where 1&4 were all the way up and then i put the head on and lined the cams straight up then after 2 minutes fit the timing belt on, im 99% sure i didnt skip a tooth or anything and they are straight up and the belt has a good tension.
Did i do something wrong?
I probably did im stupid AHHHHHHHHHH
Old 05-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (transmission11)

LOL, this makes me feel good. Im glad to see im not the only one in the EXACT same situation Check my threads for help. BTW, my car still isnt ******* running. I say do some "motivational talk" or intimidate your car to work. Good luck

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=519836
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=519418
Old 05-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by transmission11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throw some start fluid in there hopefully it starts a rippin, hopefully... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Enlighten me on "start fluid"
Old 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Future Texas Boy

check the firing order. I guarantee that`s it.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:01 PM

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (vtecvoodoo)

You mean position of plug wires on dist and such...i double checked it on helms and still not working for me...
Old 05-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Future Texas Boy

maybe the dist has a bum ignitor or something. I`ll be on for a while and will try to help....
Old 05-30-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (vtecvoodoo)

Thanks, the dist worked fine 2 weeks ago no problems at all. And it will try to start and even run for a fewsecond but will die on me. DO you thionk what intekragsr said could be my problem? The valves being so out of wack?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Future Texas Boy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, the dist worked fine 2 weeks ago no problems at all. And it will try to start and even run for a fewsecond but will die on me. DO you thionk what intekragsr said could be my problem? The valves being so out of wack?</TD></TR></TABLE>

possibly. valve job wouldn`t hurt.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:09 PM

Check your grounds on the tranny and the thermostat housing!!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:10 PM

I know I'm gonna get flamed.... but have you considered taking it to an auto repair shop. I'm not suggesting letting somebody else work on your car. I would not dare disrespect all the DIY guys on this site that help me out, but maybe you could pay a little $$$ to have them tell you what's wrong so you can fix it yourself. Just my $.02
Old 05-30-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START (Jswpstdoff)

Yeah the whole take it to a repair shop thing would work if IT STARTED lol. Im not paying 70 towtruck fee until its a VERY VERY last resort thats hwy i came on here first. Then il call some friends to come over then ill justkill my self or go cry in the corner....
Old 05-30-2003, 09:17 PM

i was over with intekgra and his car turned over and started for a few seconds if the cylinder is dry but would die off as well... and after gets flooded.

we checked his distro and cleaned the contacts a bit, no change. contacts look a bit weak tho... espcially the rotor..
Old 05-30-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: (EvoLusionX)

AGAIN check the grounds!!! I had the same problem with a B16 the fckin guy turned it over soooo muck it flodded the cylinders and washed the rings!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:27 PM

Default Re: (hndarcrb18c1)

I never took the block and tranny out of the engie bay, so i know the tranny one is still there and the block ground id fine and everything, Not a ground. Thanks forthe suggestion all help is welcome someone help me and intekragsr out!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hndarcrb18c1)

is there some grounds I am missing? Thermostat housing, tranny and the little one on the engineto rad support right? Any others?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: (intekragsr)

**** it sleep time ill deal wiht it in 5 hours, when i wake up. DAMNIT!!!!!!
Vic, if you read thsi come to my house and fix my car...Ill buy you breakfast!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:47 PM

maybe both of you have squirels stuck in your throttle bodies!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:14 AM

Default Re: (EvoLusionX)

LOL,
Alright i got up this morning and thought the garge gnomes fixed my car buit it wont start still.
Im going to redo the timing all the way.
So the No. 1&4 piston are all the way up at TDC correct? And the cam gears point straight up at thats time right? Is there anything i need ot be aware of?
I wanna go ina corner and cry i cant get this damn thing to work. I should have sold mu soul to the devil and bought a motor form IB's!
Old 05-31-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (slowdx)

Help me!
Old 05-31-2003, 10:39 AM

i had a similar problem
but the engine was a d16z6
it would start every now and then and then just sputter at really low rpms and die off.

we took a hair dryer, dried out the intake, and wires. changed the plugs and oil. and removed all the plugs and wires and drained the cylinders of gas. the car started after that. took about 36h. lol

Quick Reply: My piece of poo motor is done, well not quite...CAUSE IT WONT START