Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My new purchase EJ8 Civic

Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new purchase EJ8 Civic

Just purchased a 99 Civic EJ8 with only 51,500 original miles, (had an odometer check and it has never been tampered with, and purchased off a major dealership.) :D

So far all I have done is got my windows tinted and trying to get on track with making my car a perfect DD (I know they're great DD's stock, I'm just looking for a little more power not entire swaps and such).

Already have a great quality alarm system, and a steering wheel lock.

Just looking for some other ideas in the sense of what Intake, Header etc.are the best for my car and such.

I'm some what new to the JDM engines, (normally work on german and american) but I still know my way around any engine.

Just looking for some input on what you guys think I should do.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My new purchase EJ8 Civic

First off, thank you for getting the chassis code right!

Second off, it's a D series motor. It won't respond to bolt ons at all. All the bolt ons in the world won't do anything but move your powerband around, and make your car anywhere from a little to a lot louder. If you want to make it faster, you either need to swap motors, or boost it.

As it is, that car is clean as hell. It's an EX with all the power options, too, making it heavier than your average EJ chassis. If I were you, I would keep it stock, keep it as well maintained as it already is, and if you want something with some get up and go, buy another car to have fun with.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Trial User

I was thinking of keeping it stock until I get my degree and can afford something along the lines of a evo VII or maybe a Hatch STI, but thanks man I wasn't entirely sure of what the d series were capable of. I'm just not in the position to do a GSR swap or anything so stock it will remain
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Don't feel bad about it, man. That car is clean as ****. Finding it that way and keeping it that way should be more than enough to be proud in.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That car is too clean to modify, i would leave it all stock. just my opinion, nice find.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd get the oem foglights for that badboy
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Trial User

Thanks guys really appreciate it! My main thing im just looking to do is to replace the steelies! Haha but yeah I will definitely keep it stock then, im in no need of a race car right now while im in college haha
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to replace the steelies I suggest oem 99 00 civic si rims
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Listen to what has already been said in this thread, leave it stock. It looks amazingly clean.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always had a thing for white 96-00 coupes. Keep it clean, and safe.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RT_NEWYORK
If you want to replace the steelies I suggest oem 99 00 civic si rims
I think I might follow through with that idea, im not into flashy rims like rotas and drags so those would be perfect
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 98civdx

I've always had a thing for white 96-00 coupes. Keep it clean, and safe.
Thanks man, I always make sure my cars are highly maintained!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get some stanley sidemarkers
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man get some 2.25 exhaust all the way through my d-series had more get up and go with it since it was breathing better
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get rid of the plate, but i love the car. awesome find, super jelly
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean car, keep it that way..

Get some new rims and call it a day.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by quinton
**** man get some 2.25 exhaust all the way through my d-series had more get up and go with it since it was breathing better
You have no clue what you're talking about. Please stop until you educate yourself.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Trial User

^ Lol I wasn't sure if I was the only one who thought he was talking through his ***
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by quinton
LOL, Butt dyno results are always huge gains.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love how some people here think that adding bolt ons does nothing for your car...i personally dont like loud exhaust but they do create power gains. unless all these huge companies like Hondata,AEM, DC Sports, HKS, Greddy, etc. are all lying about theyre dyno results, guess they are and the members of this forum are way more intelligent than them.

the gains wont be alot, but they are there. when you say bolt ons are you reffering to just intake header exhaust? that combo wont yield more than 5-10hp at the most. There are a **** ton of other bolt on options that create substantial power gains. Oh and incase you didnt know, FI setups are bolt ons buddy. Guess the extra 100 HP you get off a turbo set up isnt a power gain either, everyone is just soo fulla bs eh?

hey kid look, its your car, do what you want with it. Dont let anyone tell you how to do it, just dont turn it into a ricer. leave the exhaust stock, no one likes hearing loud hondas unless they are putting down serious numbers.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by beyond305
i love how some people here think that adding bolt ons does nothing for your car...i personally dont like loud exhaust but they do create power gains. unless all these huge companies like Hondata,AEM, DC Sports, HKS, Greddy, etc. are all lying about theyre dyno results, guess they are and the members of this forum are way more intelligent than them.
You've obviously never worked in, or dealt with people who work in marketing before. Don't even try to say "my dad's friend's son's cousin". The dyno numbers SOME of those companies advertise is the absolute best they got off ONE motor. More specifically, generally two motors. One for the peak HP gain, and one for the peak torque gain. Those numbers come from big block motors - sure as **** not little four bangers. These are also on white chassis cars that are being specifically tuned for that car, by a master with that car. If they advertise a 12WHP gain (actual number) on their production car (4.6L Mustang, actual car), that has been custom tuned to make the CAI look good (actual part), what do you think it'll give an untuned 1.6L Honda engine that is COMPLETELY different than aforementioned 4.6L? I've give you a hint: nothing. It moved the power band around, but does not increase it at all. In some instances, it actually moves your peaks OUT of the usable power band! Yeah, sounds like an AWESOME idea to me!

Also, only half of those companies actually advertise direct gains. The other ones sell on their name and craftsmanship alone. Go ahead and keep name dropping, though.

the gains wont be alot, but they are there. when you say bolt ons are you reffering to just intake header exhaust? that combo wont yield more than 5-10hp at the most. There are a **** ton of other bolt on options that create substantial power gains. Oh and incase you didnt know, FI setups are bolt ons buddy. Guess the extra 100 HP you get off a turbo set up isnt a power gain either, everyone is just soo fulla bs eh?
Yeah, a turbo that bolts on. You show me a kit that bolts on, and I'll show you a kit that'll blow up. I can think of three mission critical important pieces (four, if you want to specify the EJ6/8 chassis), that are NOT bolt on affairs. Go ahead, keep telling everyone how much you know.

hey kid look, its your car, do what you want with it. Dont let anyone tell you how to do it, just dont turn it into a ricer. leave the exhaust stock, no one likes hearing loud hondas unless they are putting down serious numbers.
You tell him not to let anyone tell him what to do with it...then you tell him what to do with it?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Trial User

Paint the hood black for that carbon fiber look ... LOL jk drop it !!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have dyno results. Real ones from all kinds of builds. Not some company's marketing department. Bolt-one really do nothing. And a turbo kit is far from a bolt-on affair even if parts of it are bolt on.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Trial User

hey kid look, its your car, do what you want with it. Dont let anyone tell you how to do it, just dont turn it into a ricer. leave the exhaust stock, no one likes hearing loud hondas unless they are putting down serious numbers.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah I know, I dont plan on every putting an exhaust on it, or even.drop it for that matter. I don't want to be referred too as a ricer by anyone :p. I just hate getting rolled up on by all these other ricers that want to race me.. im like the hell? Im in a stock d16 im not going anywhere quick lol
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is it that every thread someone starts ends in tradgedy on this forum?

Children.....Please...

Let the man have his intro thread...

Most bolt ons do in fact unlock some power.... But the gains are so miniscule that its hard to notice change and really aren't worth the money IMO...

I think people just get offended 99% of the time, and that's why most of these threads lead to BS....

They just went out and bought or have the intentions of buying some ridiculous part that in the end is sooooo not worth the money..

Then they get the facts and get all in a knot over it...

TIME TO FACE THE FACTS...

Bolt ons are eye and ear candy... Nothing wrong with it...

BOTTOM LINE

The only way to really benefit from any of it is with custom tuning.... But its a waste of $$$ for HP/CASH ratio unless you've got something worth while doing it for.. Like a hair dryer..

I have a 97 hatch in the same shape and less miles than his and she's got a stock boner...

I'm gunna take the Y7 over the rollers a bit since its got so few miles, and do a LS swap for a reliable yet more powerful DD down the road when the Y7 gets tired.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new purchase EJ8 Civic