Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my list of problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my list of problems

ok... first off... i've searched for various information... found some answers... didn't find some... or found some but didn't really relate to my problem or not enough detail... so i'm going to post the problems with my car... if you don't want to help, just don't reply... if you want to... then go for it... otherwise just ignore all this and save yourself some time...

just gonna list everything off the top of my head

i have a 98 honda civic ex coupe 5spd

first off i have a broken motor mount... its the upper mount on the drivers side...

transmission problems:
difficult to get into first gear sometimes... will grind if i push at the wrong time... i think it may be because of the motor mount... have to wait until the engine sits forward before it will go into gear smoothly... also third gear makes a slight grind sound while going into gear (doesnt resist... just drops in gear and makes a quick grind)

not sure if this is related to the transmission but every now and then i hear this super loud screech... it gets higher pitched and then disappears... i think it may be the clutch?

head problems:
the valves on the intake side of the head tick realllly loud... at all rpms... and especially when cold... had a valve adjustment on it... didnt fix a thing... listened to it with a microphone-thingy... no sound from exhaust side... no sound from top of head... loud sound from intake side... mechanic told me the valvetrain probably needs re-seated...

motor problems:
i'm running lean... plugs are white...

burning oil? i don't see blue smoke or anything... but i need to drop in about a quart of oil every week... there are no leaks at all... no puddles under the car... not spitting oil out of exhaust... no oil smell... it just disappears...

white smoke appears when i first turn on the car... it disappears after awhile... never checked to see if it spits white smoke out under vtec or not...

theres some high pitched whining sound coming from one of the belts... if i push on the alternator belt it has about the right about of play and makes no sound... if i push on the timing belt... it feels kinda stiff but moves freely and it makes a squeak... i tried putting the belt dressing on it but it didnt make the whining sound go away... so i think maybe one of the pulleys or something needs oil or grease? its progressivly gotten worse... before it would only make the sound when cold... now it makes the sound all the time... at all rpm ranges...

suspension problems:
the front passenger side squeaks when i go over bumps and brake and move and stuff... i pushed on it and it bounces correctly... so i think maybe something needs grease or maybe a bushing is bad?

i hear a clunk coming from under the car... dont really know where... when i'm going reallllly slow and i step on the gas the car jerks (cause of broken motor mount) and i hear a clunk... doesnt make a clunk when braking... (i think)... just really noticeable when going slow and i step on the gas...

misc problems:
sunroof won't go back... only goes up... i just found this out like 30 minutes ago... it drops down and goes back like 1 cm and then you hear the motor making noise (like its trying to move it back) but it can't

that's about all i can remember right now... if i think of anytihng else i'll add it... feel free to help out or just ignore this...

thanks in advance for any help... its really appreciated
Old 02-10-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: my list of problems (inane)

Thats a SERIOUS collection of cars you have there.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 PM

And your only 22!?!? What tha **** do you do for a living?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my list of problems (mp5o)

yeah dude how do u have all those cars that are hooked up like that and not even know the answer to a single one of those problems !
Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: my list of problems (The-Beast)

just because i own cars doesn't mean i know all about them

and i'm an electronics technician...

now lets get back to my list of problems
Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you hook me up with some type of job?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Re: my list of problems (The-Beast)

lol... Yea me too!

Engine mount: Replace it

Engine: Replace it

Transmission: Replace it

Suspension: Replace it

Sorry thats the best I could come up with right now. Just buy a bunch of after market parts to replace everything rich guy. Let me know how it goes.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol... Yea me too!

Engine mount: Replace it

Engine: Replace it

Transmission: Replace it

Suspension: Replace it

Sorry thats the best I could come up with right now. Just buy a bunch of after market parts to replace everything rich guy. Let me know how it goes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol you bastard
Old 02-10-2005, 09:58 PM

Not that I'm doubting you own such a collection of fine automobiles, but why in the world would you drive a 98 honda civic ex coupe 5spd when you have all of those other cars at your disposal? Just curious. And as far as answers to your problems...

go to your nearest Honda dealership, and find another 98 honda civic ex coupe 5spd... all problems fixed in one shot.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Team Purple

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And your only 22!?!? What tha **** do you do for a living?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the exact same thing that I was thinking. LOL, You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my list of problems (Honda-Tech Balla)

sell some serious drugs or something maybe kill people lol but yea by the way those are some sick cars if you cant take care of one of them i will help you out and take one for you
Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: my list of problems (skater5067)

#1. Fix the **** you know is bad - the motor mount - I mean, c'mon now - how well do you expect **** to function when it ain't bolted down correctly. This could certainly cause you tranny problems - so fix it.

#2. Is this a bone stock 98 Ex 5 spd?

#3. Belts squeel when they slip - they slip cuz' they ain't got enough grip - you need to retighten the belt. Belt dressing is a worthless band-aid - correctly tensioning the belts gets the job done.

#4. Where is your Helms?

#5. Valves tick - perhaps using your microphone-thingy is allowing you to hear the injectors tick too seems as how they are the same side as the intake valves.

#6. Whats the maintenace history look like? Cap/rotor/plugs/wires...that sort of thing?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: my list of problems (wagonis)

ok... i own a civic because of one thing... the gas mileage and for the daily driving to work and back...

the s15 and prelude arent street legal... the evo7 and s2k are fun cars that get taken out every now and then...

and at gas prices today... good gas mileage is a plus...

as for replies to the replies...

#1 - i've been meaning to fix it... i'll get to it

#2 - its bone stock... has a few things... aftermarket wheels (heavier than stock)... an aem cold air intake... i think thats about it... the motor isnt the original... the original blew... i dropped in another d16y8... but its all stock

#3 - ok... i'll try to tighten the stuff for the timing belt and see if it fixes it... i thought it was too tight though because the belt feels a little stiff and it squeaks when i push on the belt itself

#4 - on my computer

#5 - i never checked the injectors because when i swapped the motors... i used the same intake manifold as on my old motor (it made no sounds on old motor)... so i ruled out that that could be bad...

#6 - maintenence... i never really changed the wires or rotor and cap... the plugs get changed when due... regular oil changes every 2500 miles...

as for more update on the clutch squealing (i think thats it)... i was driving around today and i noticed that when i pushed the clutch in... the rpms dropped... everything was quiet... when i stepped on the gas... when the rpms would get to about 5k... id hear the loud squealing and it would get faster and then disappear... it doesnt make the sound while driving at all... just when i have the clutch in... so maybe its the clutch slipping? although i thought a way to test if it slipped was to drive uphill... if the rpms go up but you dont really gain any speed... then its slipping... i dont have that problem...

what's the most reasonable swap for less than $1000... the swapping my friends and i do... so the money would just go to the motor... i want something that runs flawlessly and has no problems... is obd2a so i dont have to mess with anything... and is basically just a drop in? $1000 including everything i need (motor, head, transmission, all sensors, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc, etc...)

thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 11:32 PM

For a thousand dollars just go turbo.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my list of problems (wagonis)

[QUOTE=wagonis]Not that I'm doubting you own such a collection of fine automobiles, but why in the world would you drive a 98 honda civic ex coupe 5spd when you have all of those other cars at your disposal?[QUOTE]

If I owned those other cars like him... my 98 ex would be a piece of **** too.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tranny not going into gear smoothly:
can very likely be caused by the broken mount, ****'s shifting around in there... and/or a worn bushing at the linkage (the rod that holds the tranny still right next to it, can also be the clunk under the car). can also be synchros/clutch, or even just need some new tranny fluid.

Ticking.
1. all honda's tick 2. some tick louder 3. if not adjusted properly they can tick very loud 4. I've found very few shops that adjust the valves properly 5. the ticking your hearing with the mic on the intake side is very likely the injectors.

dissapearing oil.
no puddles, everything is dry, you're burning oil... like it or not. either that or your rear seal is shot and it's leaking out causing the screech on the clutch... you'd smell this though...

suspension squeak.
grease everything and see if it goes away.

clunk
fix the motor mount and shifting issue and then address this

belt screech.
if belts are tight and in good shape, start spraying wd40 or something on the pulley's, if it goes away, you found the problem pulley... (not reccomended for timing belt)

...good luck
Old 02-12-2005, 04:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my list of problems (miahmouse)

lol.. boooy i wonder whos full of ****.. anyways.. bring your car to a shop.. you have the money.. lol
Old 02-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Team Purple

Default Re: my list of problems (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.. boooy i wonder whos full of ****.. anyways.. bring your car to a shop.. you have the money.. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, Im gonna go out on a limb here and call BS...This guy is a liar. How do you afford the insurance on those? Please tell me they aren't paid for.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: my list of problems (Honda-Tech Balla)

they're not paid for... i make payments... and i only have insurance on three of them... the only car thats paid off entirely is my civic and prelude... the prelude was cheap cause i bought a salvaged (theft recovery) prelude for $850... everything was intact except the engine was missing... so i had an engine built for it and thats about where it sits...

now if you can... leave the cars alone and lets get back to my civic and problems with it :D
Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 PM

valves- if they have a burned red or orange look could be they are weak and need to be replaced

oil- too many thinks to be specific. check pvc sytem.

belts- check for too much tension or too loose.
also check if one is out of alignment

suspension - try wd40 1st. if thats not it, go buy a strut and rent a strut compressor.

motor mount- replace it. its hydraulic, so u probably wanna get a new one.

sunroof- check the rails. take off ur carpet. they work similar to windows, which are notorious for derailing on civics
Old 02-21-2005, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo_b16_ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_b16_ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
suspension - try wd40 1st. if thats not it, go buy a strut and rent a strut compressor.

motor mount- replace it. its hydraulic, so u probably wanna get a new one.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wd40 should mainly be used for dispersing water, it's not meant as a long lasting lubricant. if you want to use a spray lube try a good wet type silicone spray.

there are exactly 0 hydraulic motor mounts on honda's. they're rubber with steel inserts