Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My hood will not close on my EG - help :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
The Alchemist...

Default My hood will not close on my EG - help :(

My hood will not close on my EG

When I bought this car the guy was trying to explain to me what I need to push when it does this but he didn’t speak good English at all. Anyhow the lever in the car is loose now and its just not latching when I close it. Any ideas?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: My hood will not close on my EG - help :( (w-a-o)

I speak english fine and it's gunna be difficult to explain...

Basically the spring you can KIND OF see in the pic above is attached to the latch housing and a lever...
You want to put your finger on the Pass. Side of the lever and push it towards the driver side...

Then it should latch... mine does the same thing it's most likely a problem with the trunk release cable...
Old 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My hood will not close on my EG - help :( (NonovUrbizniz)

Yup, push the spring from left to right!!! It will click into place...same problem here too
Old 05-03-2005, 06:25 PM
The Alchemist...

Default Re: My hood will not close on my EG - help :( (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I speak english fine and it's gunna be difficult to explain...

Basically the spring you can KIND OF see in the pic above is attached to the latch housing and a lever...
You want to put your finger on the Pass. Side of the lever and push it towards the driver side...

Then it should latch... mine does the same thing it's most likely a problem with the trunk release cable...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so..

I leave the things that the read arrows are pointing at alone correct? The spring your talking about is inside the green circle and has an arrow pointing to it correct? So is this lever a little to the left of the spring that the arrow is pointing to?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, when you look at the spring and see where the 2 ends are connected to, push whatever the left side of the spring is connected to, and push that to the right, making the spring compress.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My hood will not close on my EG - help :( (dxhatch93)

mine does that too... i remember when i was setting the boost controller, i had to keep running out of the car and popping the hood and closing it, i must have pushed that little spring to the right about 20 times in 20 minutes, that was annoying
Old 05-03-2005, 07:09 PM

this is going to sound ******* stupid, but, mine does that, and what I have to do is go under the dash (where you open it) and feel under the handle you pull, and you can feel the cable. just kinda push it back in, and it slides back where its supposed to be. dunno if that will work, but hope it helps.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (landon)

mine does the same thing push the spring also I put some WD 40 on mine and now it closes fine.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: (SIcivicHATCH)

lol mine does the same, seems like they shoulda recalled all the civ's and fixed that ****

yeah... it's pretty simple, basically the only hole your finger can fit in, you stick it in and feel to the right, theres a metal thingy on a spring, and you just push it (the only way it can go) right.. until it wont go any further. the only thing i hate about it is getting grease all over my hands and then getting back into my car
Old 05-04-2005, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (landon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by landon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is going to sound ******* stupid, but, mine does that, and what I have to do is go under the dash (where you open it) and feel under the handle you pull, and you can feel the cable. just kinda push it back in, and it slides back where its supposed to be. dunno if that will work, but hope it helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It all depends on where the cable in binding inside the protective sleeve...

For example mine is bound up RIGHT at where the hinge is so it doesn't matter what you do to the release lever...

I have to push the hood latch lever back where the spring SHOULD be pulling it.

I though about getting a replacement cable BUT...
A. It's a really common problem so there's no guarantee the new one won't do the same thing.
B. It's a PAIN to switch out and I'm not going to bother over something small like that... If I ever "finish" my car I would worry about it but that's probobly never going to happen so... I just push that little bastard back and it works fine.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:24 AM

I wouldn't have bought it, he was telling you that i was broke but he didn't know how to say it. That pisses me off, the same thing almost happened to me.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:57 AM

WD40 on the spring and cable and you're all set.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pioneer162)

I'm having this same problem and was wondering if any of you would know the answer to a couple of my questions.

It seems to me that the hood latch assembly is what needs replacing in my car (like the spring doesn't return as it should).

It would be number 6 in this diagram.

I already ordered the part, but after reading this thread I'm worried that I just ordered a useless part and what I really need is a new cable. How do these cables "break"? Mine still pops the hood just fine and stays inside the popper (down by my feet), this is why I think it would be the latch...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InLimbo87)

i didnt read all this so im sorry if its already been answered but its because the hood latch is greasy and sticking. push the spring over with a screw drive or something. all you have to do is clean and lube it and it will work fine. all the eg's do it. ive seen people destroy carbon fiber hoods trying to repeatedly slam them closed saying "well i dont give a **** about the hood if it wont close" when its just the latch. lol
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InLimbo87)

yes its # 6. but try cleaning it first. sorry i didnt read through the first time.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 AM

Default Re: My hood will not close on my EG - help :( (EgRedSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EgRedSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't have bought it, he was telling you that i was broke but he didn't know how to say it. That pisses me off, the same thing almost happened to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DCSportEJ1Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCSportEJ1Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt read all this so im sorry if its already been answered but its because the hood latch is greasy and sticking. push the spring over with a screw drive or something. all you have to do is clean and lube it and it will work fine. all the eg's do it. ive seen people destroy carbon fiber hoods trying to repeatedly slam them closed saying "well i dont give a **** about the hood if it wont close" when its just the latch. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply :D

I haven't yet WD-40'd the latch as I can't seem to find my can of it. I'm going to pick some up and try it tonite. I did try cleaning it out good with some carb cleaner to no avail. For now, I've cancelled my order of the latch part and I'm going to see what I can do for now.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know why because...........................K SERIES lol
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tru2Less)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tru2Less &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know why because...........................K SERIES lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My hood will not close on my EG - help :( (EgRedSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NY93CivicEx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol mine does the same, seems like they shoulda recalled all the civ's and fixed that ****
</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's called basic maintenance. Think they should recall all tires cause they wear out and might cause an accident?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EgRedSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't have bought it, he was telling you that i was broke but he didn't know how to say it. That pisses me off, the same thing almost happened to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You passed up a perfectly good car because a language barrier kept you from understanding that a hood latch was dirty and needed to be lubed? That's like passing up a job making twice what you do now because they'll only give you two weeks vacation. Use some common sense.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WD40 on the spring and cable and you're all set.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank god there are other people here that can think. Sticking your finger in there every time you want to close your hood is ghetto. Do it once to get you home, but after that, there's no excuse.

If you have to, unbolt the whole thing and soak it in wd40. I've NEVER seen a cable go bad unless it snapped because the latch was frozen in place. It's always the latch. Clean it. Lube it. Call it a day.

That or call Honda and ask about a recall.