Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph

look at my sig for my set up. ok, i have my stock 13" rims on my car. it is winter. it was snowy, and i was seeing how slippery the roads were. it was in fifth gear, i would just punch it to see how bad it spins. the roads are a little wet and slick, so it spins. but then after that my car shakes really bad above 60 mph. this happened last night, and i haven't driven it yet today. but the car has never had an alignment, and maybe this might do it. the axles are only like 8 months old. so thats should be the problom(but thay do knock when the tires spin on the snow when the sterring wheel is turned all the way, but my axles are warrentied for life, and maybe thay are supposed to do that, i dunno anything about axles. let me know what you think might be causeing this. i hope the steel belts in the tires didn't get messed up, they are brand new tires.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph (92hatchy)

Probobally just ice/snow stuck in the rims.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph (Ricey McRicerton)

that was the first thing i looked at. i had that happen once before. and it wasn't snow. one other thing why i think its my alignment, it i keep my steerling wheel stright, the car goes back and forth on the road, just a little, can hardly tell. goes one way, when feels like it grabs a different groove on the road and goes back, but i know these roads, and it never did it on that road before. so its not the groovs on the road.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:37 PM

if it only shakes abouve 60MPH...may b ur wheels need balance
Old 02-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph (DFW_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DFW_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it only shakes abouve 60MPH...may b ur wheels need balance</TD></TR></TABLE>
my thoughts exactly- my wintercar had its wheels shake real bad over 60mph. i got new tires and a balance and its all better(maybe some of your wheel weights fell off or something like that)
Old 02-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph (DFW_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DFW_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it only shakes abouve 60MPH...may b ur wheels need balance</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly what it is probably. if you needed an alignment, your wheels would be pulling a certain direction...there are other symptoms too but that is the most common one.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph (shermanyang)

the only thing is that the wheel wights would of fell off becasue they are new tires, and have just been balenced. but they are aluminum rims, and isn't there different wights they use? might fall off easier? I drove it today, and it seemed to be a better. I know i looked for snow in the rims before, and there wasn't any, but maybe the snow was hiding. but i will probably take my tires off and see how well balanced they are at the shop. and while they are off, clean them so if there was any snow, it will be gone. thanx for the help.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem. I need to see if the weights fell off, too.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

axles dude, just fixed a 97 hatch with b16, it had the same problem where whenever you step on the gas in 5th it vibrates to the point where it feels like the frontend is going to fall off.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: (vtekthis)

check your tires. i had the same problem, pulled into a gas station one day and it turned out my front drivers side was at about 23psi, so i filled it up and now its fine.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: (Mar_EK)

could be any # of things, might want to try rotating your tires, or getting them balanced.. maybe an alignment is due... jus like all those other guys said...

trouble shoot.. bro' tell us whats up.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check all the tire pressures, check to see if the wheels are still balanced, check to see if you have a bent wheel. And very last thing you might want to check is your alignment
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your drivetrain, axles, tires, wheels. when things are outta balance or loose... you start to feel them at highway speeds. jack the car up and glance over everything. Or take your new tires back and ask for them to rebalance them. Id believe that would be free, correct?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mar_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your tires. i had the same problem, pulled into a gas station one day and it turned out my front drivers side was at about 23psi, so i filled it up and now its fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chad's)

I roated mine (only side to side, though), checked tire pressure, and the thing still vibrates. I do have a very small bend in one of the wheels, but it's very slight. Do you think it could be caused by that? I need to put the fronts on the back, though ...
Old 02-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (Sushiboy)

thats a scary feeling.. i've been there. See if it does it again, if their is noise, try to find the source. but other than that, just wait until it's not snowing.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing happened on my dad's accord. damn thing shakes like crazy above 60mph. i had the 2 front tires rebalanced and still no answer. i ended up buying a tire (because one had a nail in it) and when i had the original tire taken out there was water inside the tire causing it to vibrate like hell at high speeds. fix-a-flat put the water in there. now that i have a new tire it's as smooth as a new car.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my hatch shakes bad above 60 mph (iriemark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iriemark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same thing happened on my dad's accord. damn thing shakes like crazy above 60mph. i had the 2 front tires rebalanced and still no answer. i ended up buying a tire (because one had a nail in it) and when i had the original tire taken out there was water inside the tire causing it to vibrate like hell at high speeds. fix-a-flat put the water in there. now that i have a new tire it's as smooth as a new car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
uh oh, there is one tire on my car with fix a flat in it. My friend borrored my tires and put a hole in it, and fix a flat was put into the tires. That might be the problem. So maybe i should take that tire off my car and take off the bead and try to drain that **** out or something. that might be why it does it only sometimes, (like after it sits for a long time) but it was weird becasue it started doing it after i was spinning the tires at higher speeds-thats why i thought it was the axles.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, its not the fix a flat. I found out that when i spin my tires on the snow, or any time, and drive, it shakes really bad at higher speeds, but after like 2 minutes it goes away, but then if a lot of power is applyied when i start to move again, it will shake at higher speeds again. I think it is probably the axles. They have a life time warrenty, so im going to go get a new pair and soo if that works. They do knock bad when I and turning a tight corner and applying power. Its weird becasue these axles are no more than a year old. Im glad i have a life time warrenty on them. But if doesn't sound like my axles are the problem, let me know what you think.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe youg lugnuts are loose try to tighten them.