Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My H22A EG Swap Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My H22A EG Swap Review

So It's been a week since I swapped in my JDM H22A OBDI LSD into my 1992 Honda Civic CX EG. I am writing a review with my experience with the swap for a week.

Ok I used Avid mounts, and let me say they are the best mounts ever. For one they are cheap; for two, you know how everyone goes 'stiff mounts cause vibration blah blah blah...' Well this is what I have to say to that after using Avid H22 EG mounts, "What vibration"? I have zero, I mean ZERO vibration in my car. It feels 100% stock from the inside of the car, and I mean 100%!

I also am using the Skunk2 intake manifold. Why O why do people say you need to tap the firewall to get it to fit? All I had to do is take the brake splitter and move it 2 inches to the right on the wall, you don't need to disconnect any lines litterally grab it and move it, and it fits in there perfect.

I am using the Accord halfshaft and 90-93 integra axles and they do not bind at all, just don't really lower the front.

What about the height issue. I Am using Skunk2 Pro-S full coilovers and did not lower the front, kept at standard height and I don't and won't scrape oil pan or down pipe on speed bumps or anything. Nice to know you don't need to watch every little stupid thing in the road instead of really paying attention to the more important things, like other cars.

Weight difference. Ok look I can NOT tell a difference in weight at all from going from a d15b 45whp motor to the 'Honda Big Block' My car handles the same if not BETTER with this new engine.

How about that ever so famous 'understeer'. Well , What understeer? Liek I said earlier, my car handles the same if not BETTER!

The only main differneces I can tell with the car is I can smoke B18C5's night and day and that the shiffter is a little different from a D series.

So all you people who want that H22 but are thinking GSR now because you don't want vibration or bad handling, Re-Read my post and then make you decision.

I am so glad I went with this JDM H22A from hmotorsonline instead of a slow B series.

Modified by cycopath at 11:50 PM 5/5/2008
Old 05-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Re: My H22A EG Swap Review (cycopath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cycopath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am so glad I went with this JDM H22A from hmotorsonline instead of a slow B series.
Modified by cycopath at 11:50 PM 5/5/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lolz...

How is your post going to help people decide H over B??

And why are you hating on the Bseries..Congrats you walk c5s...

It's like the AP1 vs AP2 for s2ks...Cmon now.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: My H22A EG Swap Review (SmrCRX)

How? Because so many people say all the stuff I just did like the weight, vibration understeer and everything but have no proof. The reason it iwll help is becasue some people, like me, want a nice daily driver, not a car the feels like it's gonna fall apart. Becasue with a B-series you can use stock rubber mounts, not on a H series though.
I'm trying to clear some of the myths up.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cycopath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How? Because so many people say all the stuff I just did like the weight, vibration understeer and everything but have no proof. The reason it iwll help is becasue some people, like me, want a nice daily driver, not a car the feels like it's gonna fall apart. Becasue with a B-series you can use stock rubber mounts, not on a H series though.
I'm trying to clear some of the myths up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do some searching...A Car that feels like it will fall apart lolz?? stereotyping all B series??

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/684550

The H vs B vs D has been settled a long time ago with the weight issue...

My crx prior to me selling it was not a POS because it had a B in it homie...
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
* B A N N E D *

Your an idiot. Sorry but you are. I NEVER said in any of my posts a B series was a POS, I said with a B series, you CAN use stock mounts which means no vibration. With a H, you can't, so with stiff aftermarket mounts alot will have vibration and some are so bad it feels like your car is gonna fall apart.
I also know the weight issue was cleared up a long time ago, but why not have a thread with everything in one, saves alot of time searching don't you think?
This is MY review on my H swap, has nothing to do with ' Who cares? that was covered years ago'

This thread is for people decieding over a B or H series. So take your negative bullshit that has no relavance to this thread somewhere else.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cycopath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your an idiot. Sorry but you are. I NEVER said in any of my posts a B series was a POS, I said with a B series, you CAN use stock mounts which means no vibration. With a H, you can't, so with stiff aftermarket mounts alot will have vibration and some are so bad it feels like your car is gonna fall apart.
I also know the weight issue was cleared up a long time ago, but why not have a thread with everything in one, saves alot of time searching don't you think?
This is MY review on my H swap, has nothing to do with ' Who cares? that was covered years ago'

This thread is for people decieding over a B or H series. So take your negative bullshit that has no relavance to this thread somewhere else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Cry a river beach boy...

2. It's "you're" an idiot...Not Your

3. Welcome to HT..

Modified by SmrCRX at 9:25 PM 5/6/2008

Modified by SmrCRX at 9:26 PM 5/6/2008
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
* B A N N E D *

It's not about my "Supa Fast Type Wah Killin race car." as you just stated. It's about helping others who want to decide on a swap. Alot of people don't know how an H will be in the car. Is it gonna a horrible ride, am I gonna hate it on long drives, am I gonna be snapping axles or ripping my oil pan off? These are questions people like to know before they do a swap. I know I did, but had no soild proof how it was gonna be, so took a chance and I am posting my results for other people to see.

I don't care if anyone posts in this thread, it will be there for people to read whenever they need it however.

So, tell me, how do you win again?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM

IBTL

Post up.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jdm h22a??? man I was gonna go with the h22a type s but then changed my mind to a jdm GSR from hmotorsonline. I talked to steve from hmotors and he told me reason why people dont buy H series is because you have to a cut a few things and modify a few things. Like for instance the shifter. You have to cut the surrounding areas that holds the shifter. My friend just bought an Eg from someone with the stock d series motor.. but if you look closely at the chasis that thing is chopped up.. previous owner says it had an h22 before...
Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: My H22A EG Swap Review (raidacaipo)

Yea you need to cut part of the tranny braket off (thats with certain mounts); also, enlarge the hole where the shifter assembly is to hold the new one and cut a small whole in the floor under the center of the dash because H22's use a cable shift linkage. But it shouldn't be bad looking. Mine looks very clean, time was taken on it to make sure it was done right. But then again I can understand if looks bad when you swap back in a D series.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had my h22 for year now. i went from d16 to a jdm h22a w/ m2b tranny and never bin happier. i was going to originally get a b16 but my brother in law alway bragging about the power his motor was putting out. He's was right to brag, i dont think i'll ever setting for anything less

Modified by rpared01 at 9:08 PM 5/6/2008
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (rpared01)

Thats awesome, glad you like it! I feel pretty much the same way, won't settle for anything less now.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: My H22A EG Swap Review

first off id like to say i started my honda life 3 years back within that time i had a stock 89 si hatch with a d16a6, a 93 eg coupe with a d16z6 , a 92 eg with a 99 ls motor, a 90 ef with a 99 gsr swap, a 94 eg hatch with a jdm gsr swap and

now i got a 92 eg with a jdm h22a swap .. ill never get rid of it and i think its the best car ive owned so far... keep on hustin that h series... my buddy just picked one up yesterday also a eg with a jdm h22a..

all the motors ive had this one has the best response, and hella torque... all i have is a chipped ecu and cams, cam gears .. that car is beast... its swapped rite , with a wire tuck, and aftermarket header...

long story short go with the h22a its cheaper then the gsr.. they have them all day on http://www.tigerjapanese.com full h22a jdm swap for $1850 very little modifications needed and your in
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
jdm h22a??? man I was gonna go with the h22a type s but then changed my mind to a jdm GSR from hmotorsonline. I talked to steve from hmotors and he told me reason why people dont buy H series is because you have to a cut a few things and modify a few things. Like for instance the shifter. You have to cut the surrounding areas that holds the shifter. My friend just bought an Eg from someone with the stock d series motor.. but if you look closely at the chasis that thing is chopped up.. previous owner says it had an h22 before...
how hard is it to cut with a grinder come on make a square and thats it... bolt er down and drill your hole for the cables.. it can only be as clean as the person putting it in
Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
maybe ur friend should put a h22 in it and you wont see them holes and shtuff eh
Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought this thread was very helpful.
I've also been trying to decide on which way to go for my eg, and this answers many questions I've had.
thanks for the post
Old 02-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so, you are unable to lower the car in the front...am I hearing you right?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last night I had my 1st Honda big block experience. H22 in a EG hatch tuned 189WHP and damn it pulled!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude my EG H22 Sedan is SLAMMED, using Hasports and 94-00 integra axles, and I have not one problem with them binding etc. If I knew how to post pics I would to show everyone, but I never figured out how to lol. SSlam that thing
Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by ys1civicsi
Dude my EG H22 Sedan is SLAMMED, using Hasports and 94-00 integra axles, and I have not one problem with them binding etc. If I knew how to post pics I would to show everyone, but I never figured out how to lol. SSlam that thing
when u go post a comment or wutever their is a little mountain in a box with a yellow sky click that and u can type in the image link (upload to photobucket.com or tinypic.com or wutever)
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol..., so many haters that haven't tried out a H in a eg, all day they say bad things about the H but pull up side to side and we'll seeahah. I have a i/h/e jdm h22a in a 92 cx all strip out but still is my DD(work and back) and I love it. I caught up to a s2k and eg gs-r racing on the freeway and they were like in 3 gear and I just pop it into third and I was right there with them and they were like DAMN!! I went to the track and pulled 13.9 with Hankook's man, HANKOOK'S MAN!! Everybody there was impress cause I was smoking a bunch of people, and even the hot rod fans were staring me down like they didn't like it cause I was whooping them rustangs, and camaros. hahahah just my 2 foodstamp! h22a Plus EG/SOL/EK=
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's no way in hell the H22 does not weigh more than a d15b. I swear an ls longblock weighs as much as a sohc swap...not that the H block weighs more but it's pretty obvious that the trans weighs more just by looking at how much bigger it is than a B series trans.

Anyway, this is what I got out of your write up:
-You bought soft Avid mounts and compared them to Hasport harder mounts
-You have crappy Skunk2 Pro-S suspension, thus your opinion of whether or not your car handles great is void.
-You can't lower your car or the axles will bind
-The header and pan must hang low or you wouldn't have kept your car at stock height to avoid hitting them.

Not that I didn't previously know these facts about skunk2 suspension or H swap, but thanks for clearing it all up...again.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The H is only about if I remember corretly 50 plus for the tranny and 150 more for the motor. corret me if I'm wrong but I would rather have 200 extra pounds for 30+ hp. Now thats a good trade IMO
Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my eg, no axle binding what so ever. Using Hasport mounts, Lowered on stock struts ebay junk springs in the rear, and tein S in the front. Camber kit in my garage.
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, Any other slammed Eg's with an H22. These photos were with the SOHC still in, but it still sits on the same suspension, and sits a little lower.

Quick Reply: My H22A EG Swap Review