Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 09:48 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong?

i have an eg. my fuel gauge is so iffy! the needle is always moving up and down. yesterday the guage was all the way passed empty so i filled up knowing that i still have gas in my engine cuz i knew my guage was messed up. i filled it to a full tank w/ only 6.2 gallons which means i have aobut 5.7 gallons left in the tank! thats like half!

so do you guys think its the fuel gauge that's messed up? or the lil sensor inside the tank? i hope it my gauge cuz that gives me a reason to tell my rents to get me a jdm cluster!
Old 08-05-2001, 04:48 PM
New User

Default Re: my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong? (utensil)

BTW: anyone know if the JDM eg cluster is a direct plug and play to the car? and is the tach hard to install if i dont already have a tach on my car?

anyone have websites w/ instructions?
Old 08-05-2001, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong? (utensil)

plug and play...if the cluster has a tach and you don't, it will be in the plugs and it is already wired to your dash harness. it should be.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:22 PM
New User

Default Re: my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong? (loturbohybrideg)

ya i dont already have a tach and the cluster does.

what do u mean "it will be in the plugs and it is already wired to your dash harness"

am i gonna have to spine or tap into any wires?
Old 08-06-2001, 06:12 PM

I have a similar problem with my gas gauge on my '97 civic EX. I think it may be the sending unit in the gas tank but I am not 100% positive. I will let you know as soon as I find out. Later!
Old 08-06-2001, 08:02 PM
New User

Default Re: my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong? (iceburgslim)

the wire for ur tach is already in your harness in the back of your cluster even if you don't have a tach, honda wires all the civics up the same, and just puts different clusters in it (i.e. you have the same wiring as a si, ex, etc) when u plug the harness in the wire will then be connected to the tach and your tach will work just fine. if you don't believe me, look for yourself. behind the cluster, on the left blue harness (top left when cluster is still in, not when you're looking @ back) there's a blue wire, should be in the #6 spot (i think) that's the tach wire, you'll see that same wire on every civic. hope this helps
Old 08-06-2001, 08:33 PM
New User

Default Re: my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong? (9civic9)

woah thanks 9civic9, that helps a lot

and i just went to the dealer today and told them my problem. they couldnt tell me right there w/o checking my car. but they said theyve been selling a lot of stock clusters lately for my generation car (eg) and they havent ever sold any sending units.
the easiest way to check is to plug in a differenct cluster to see if it works
Old 08-07-2001, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man, ive got the same problem with my 93 cx, everytime i go around a corner, floor it, or even changing gears, it drop down to almost empty, but then any time i put it into 5th it goes right back up. I hate, it always bugs me when im driving. Could it be my gauge cluster or are they all like this?
Old 08-07-2001, 06:41 PM
New User

Default Re: my fuel guage is messed up. anyone have an idea whats wrong? (Downeybear11)

i think its the cluster
Old 08-07-2001, 06:42 PM
New User

i think its the cluster

BTW ive gone 142 miles and my fuel gauge is less than half already haha. i have a cx im supposed to be making 40 mpg!!!!!!! hahah