Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My front end shakes when I hit the brakes.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (hondaeg95)

Replace your pads with something semi metallic, bed your pads nicely with some easy driving, that will help clean the built up of stuff on your rotors.

Check this link out:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitep...h.htm
Old 02-24-2004, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (93CivicSI)

Your rotors are warped. My car was doing the exact same thing *its quite scary* and I replaced my rotors and pads and the problem was fixed
Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (EH2_LS_TURBO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH2_LS_TURBO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm, yes there is such thing as a warped rotor, where do you think the damn term "warped rotor" came from??? ...maybe because its WARPED?

yes you CAN resurface them but what is it before its resurfaced???.....WARPED! tah dah !!

i want a cookie now</TD></TR></TABLE>actually, a "warped rotor" is actually flat, it just has hot spots and surface cracks on it. If a rotor was actually warped, I dont think taking a milimeter off of it would make too much of a difference.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (hondaeg95)

Sounds like rotors man. Good excuse to buy slotted/cross-drilled rotors.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (MikeNice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeNice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like rotors man. Good excuse to buy slotted/cross-drilled rotors.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why would you buy rotors that would preform worse and cost more than oem replacements???

Modified by Solracer at 1:38 PM 2/24/2004
Old 02-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (Solracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Why would you buy rotrs that would preform worse and cost more than oem replacements??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? My friend got some brembo slots and I thought they helped dramatically. Of course that can also be attributed to the axxis pads put on at the same time. I can definitely see how the slots would help eliminate a lot of fade under continuous hard braking though, a lot of dust gets collected in his when he autox's.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? My friend got some brembo slots and I thought they helped dramatically. Of course that can also be attributed to the axxis pads put on at the same time. I can definitely see how the slots would help eliminate a lot of fade under continuous hard braking though, a lot of dust gets collected in his when he autox's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Slots and Holes are not there to help cooling they are there to help remove gas's from pads, and modern brake pads only do this once during bedding in.
If you put new fluid new rotors and new pads on any car it will stop better than what was on there before, but why pay double for something that has the ablity to wear pads faster and crack and has no real performance gain.
Yes I know Speed World Challenge cars run cross drilled brakes but they required by rules to run very large wheels so they fill them with large brakes and drill them to save weight, and besides most of us don't have the budget they do.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (Solracer)

if they are warped DONT be cheap and get them turned, esp when honda rotors can be found dirt cheap..
theres a reason why it warped in the 1st place and turning it might solve the problem for a few days or weeks. but the problem warp 99% or the time will come back, and probabl be worse than before.

ive done probably 1000 brake jobs and it happens.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (drunknbass)

New rotors-$20 each from Autozone or Advance.
I used the same set of cheap rotors all year last year on my (championship winning--hehe) H4 civic ex using Carbotech Panther Plus pads. Last weekend I changed all 4 rotors in preparation for the 04 season and saved my rotors for emergency spares because they still looked perfect! Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that rotors are CHEAP, considering their role in performance...