Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My friend (female) got ripped off...get this....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friend (female) got ripped off...get this....

My friend just got ripped for $500 by some douche-bag mechanic. Her fuel pump apparently went out, so the guy told her it was because she let the fuel level get too low and the air filter wasn't kept clean! So it needed a new fuel pump, but he also screwed her for some "module" (she doesn't know what it was) which would have to be replaced along with it. What a *******.

I tried to tell her that she just got ripped off and needed a new mechanic, but she won't listen. She thinks that just because her car is fixed, it justifies this guy robbing her. I hope this ******** has some bad karma coming his way....

Sorry, just wanted to rant.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Electrician

Aren't OEM fuel pumps upwards of $300? Indeed, don't need to be ripped off, but she is a girl man. Most mechanics take girls and scam them.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

a female friend of mine went to the saturn dealership for regular service and they told her that her front and rear brakes were shot. Charged about $400. I had ridden in her car just a week prior. No squealing, grinding, shaking or anything. Car stopped just fine.

After they had their way with her, car still breaks the same... 'course there wasn't a problem to begin with...
Old 07-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aren't OEM fuel pumps upwards of $300? Indeed, don't need to be ripped off, but she is a girl man. Most mechanics take girls and scam them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, from san leandro: 17040-S01-A31 PUMP SET, FUEL $151.93

I f'n hate saturn with a passion. My ex had one, and I had to go to the dealer a few times. If something is wrong with the car, you tell some leaison guy about what's wrong (which he usually couldn't understand what I was telling him) as opposed to the guy who works on your car. I ended up in a fight with the damn service / parts people every time I was there.

Once the POS threw a code that wasn't listed in the service manual (!) so my girl took it to get put on the computer there (40). When I got into town, I took a look at it, and couldn't understand what the code meant. Went back to the place, asked the service guy. He said they'd have to put it back on the computer to tell what the code meant. I called BS, and said what difference is it going to give you besides this identical printout? He went on and on about diagnostics and BS, and he wouldn't shut up.

I told him that I was in the process of designing the driveline of the new SUV they were going to get (which he said I was BS because they wouldn't ever sell an SUV) so I know a little about vehicles. I ended up yelling this is f'n bullshit and walked out. That was probably one of the better experiences I've had with a Saturn dealer. I'm sure it's great if you're some limp wrister or dumb beotch and want to pay someone out the ying to take care of your car, but damn, they suck.
[/rant]

Old 07-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah....you can get a good replacement pump for $100-150....and this isn't even a civic either! This is some 1992 Chrysler something or other I think....
Old 07-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

i live in college station and work at one of the Oreillys Autos up here. the worst story Ive heard from a customer was a girl with a Jetta had some squeeling brakes. so she took it to the Midas here where they told her all her pads/rotors/master cylinder/lines/hardware was all shot. After parts and labor it totalled like $1200-$1300. What sucks is that all it takes is a $.99 pack of brake grease applied to the back of the pad to solve this, or if the wear indicators are hitting- new pads. It is sad
Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No kidding.....I wish she would have said something to me about all this before she had him do the work. I just want to go find this guy and punch him in the face....
Old 07-22-2004, 01:59 PM

this will probably be locked soon, but i figure i might as well share a recent event that had me in disbelief over the absurdity of it.

i was going to a local honda dealership to get some oil filters and a set of new wiper blades for my sister's 02 ex... after asking for these the guy at the parts counter proceeds to stack 4 bottles of the dealership oil in my box.. so i say "no thats fine i have oil at my house" and instead of bringing me the rubber inserts tries to sell me the whole wiper arm... after telling him to take those back and that i just want the RUBBER blades he has the ***** to ask me if i would like replacement washers for the wiper arm bolt. oh well i only paid for what i wanted, but i cant believe they would try to pull that kind of ****.. and i find it even harder to believe that people fall for it.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My friend (female) got ripped off...get this.... (SLATER97EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLATER97EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend just got ripped for $500 by some douche-bag mechanic. Her fuel pump apparently went out, so the guy told her it was because she let the fuel level get too low and the air filter wasn't kept clean! So it needed a new fuel pump, but he also screwed her for some "module" (she doesn't know what it was) which would have to be replaced along with it. What a *******.

I tried to tell her that she just got ripped off and needed a new mechanic, but she won't listen. She thinks that just because her car is fixed, it justifies this guy robbing her. I hope this ******** has some bad karma coming his way....

Sorry, just wanted to rant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would personally visit the mechanic with a copy of the bill, and ask him for a detailed explanation of all of the costs and charges. I'd also ask to see all of the old parts which were supposedly replaced with the new ones listed on the bill.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
egisk09

sucks for ur friend..she'll get over it
Old 07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egisk09)

No way it should cost that much. Unless the mechanic is a moron, it shouldn't take him for them an hour or two max if he knows what hes doing. I had an old rusted out Impala, the mechanic I brought it to is my dads friend so I get free labor and I get to watch/help. He got the tank off, cut the shocks out with a torch because the bolts wouldn't come out, put the new shocks on, changed the sending unit from one tank to another, and put it back on within a couple hours. I would ask what else was wrong with it to where it costs 400 bucks. I can't really picture another part that was needed that would bring it from 100-150 for the pump to 400 bucks.

EDIT: Oh god, if its the fuel filter I would smack the **** out of him. Thats ushally what happens from keeping the fuel level to low... not exactly a 300 dollar part.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egisk09)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would personally visit the mechanic with a copy of the bill, and ask him for a detailed explanation of all of the costs and charges. I'd also ask to see all of the old parts which were supposedly replaced with the new ones listed on the bill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeha i think u and ur friend should do that. thats a good idea, they might even consider giving u some cash back if u complain asking them why they charge so much. good luck
Old 07-22-2004, 03:03 PM

That sucks. I work at toyota and a lady came in a few weeks ago saying she had a mechanic at one of the gas stations do some work to her brakes. After picking it up from there she said her brakes felt no different and that it was real hard to turn the car. I put her car on the lift and saw he had sone nothing to her brakes and he unhooked her high pressure power steering line, and left it hangin. What a jacka$$. You got to be very picky these days with who works on your car, they may just take you for everything.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: My friend (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would personally visit the mechanic with a copy of the bill, and ask him for a detailed explanation of all of the costs and charges. I'd also ask to see all of the old parts which were supposedly replaced with the new ones listed on the bill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Slip in the words "small claims court"... he'll cooperate(sp)
Old 07-22-2004, 03:10 PM

oh well stuff happens..... im sure that mechanic will get whats coming to him
Old 07-22-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: (Ignitecivic)

any independence auto shop (maybe) dealer should have a labor rate book, or some kind of software that would have labor rate.
the first thing for anyone that does not know a thing about car. if they found out what is wrong with the car or even they try to touch the car.
they should ask is how long does it take to replace that part. for this instance the fuel pump. it should take aournd 1 to 1.5 hr give and take. next they should ask for the labor rate. after that ask for the price of the replacement part, and last but not the lease alway ask for the old part back even if if broken or what so ever. i don't think you can go wrong this way.
imo
Old 07-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLATER97EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Her fuel pump apparently went out, so the guy told her it was because she let the fuel level get too low and the air filter wasn't kept clean! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, There is truth behind this. It CAN happen. You have to remember that the fuel also cools the pump. But, it is not a thing to be too worried about. You would have to run on low gas for a while. You would: A) run out of gas or B) fill up.

You think the things you guys listed to shady, go check out the transmission side. It is shady as ****!

People have trans rebuild for a $10 gasket
Old 07-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if she doesnt want to listen to you let her be. its about time some ladies kept their mouths shut on certain things, they complain enough as it is. let her be bro. its her money i assume also. let her spend it as she please.

and i agree transmission shops are the shadiest people in the automotive industry, because you cant really diagnose whats wrong until you open it up. and just doing that is an arm and a leg, let alone fixing the problem.

DIY= $ saved
Old 07-22-2004, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLATER97EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend just got ripped for $500 by some douche-bag mechanic. Her fuel pump apparently went out, so the guy told her it was because she let the fuel level get too low and the air filter wasn't kept clean! So it needed a new fuel pump, but he also screwed her for some "module" (she doesn't know what it was) which would have to be replaced along with it. What a *******.

Sorry, just wanted to rant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear **** like this all of the time. Most women are not car savvy, and the mechanics take advantage of it. Her attitude of the car being fixed justifying the high repair cost just perpetuates this problem.

It could be worse for her, though. I own my '94 LX because of a douchebag mechanic like this.

The girl I bought it from was told the engine was blown (no start condition) and needed to be overhauled. That was a $2000 job. I buy it for $1200, and when I get it home I immediately realize it has no spark. $60 and a new ignition coil later the car is running and awaiting it's new swap.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank god I found a good shop. Been using them for over 5yrs and they even undercharge me sometimes. I get to go into the shop and dick around with the mechanics and crap. The manager pretends to be stressed everytime he sees me cuz I alway have something new I want done lol. Too bad the place is in CT and I live in NYC now, but I still have an account there and I send my ex and my best friend there all the time for repairs.

It is worthwhile to get to know a shop and it's employees.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:57 PM
amy

Default Re: (Knightmare69)

this has happened to me in the past, before i learned to change my own oil id bring it to mobil and theyd tell me i needed fluids changed that i didnt even have!

now when i go to a shop i make sure i know what im getting done and what i need and if they tell me i need something else i tell them thanks that ill look into it.

it sucks that some people think they can take advantage of girls because they are girls and therfore they dont know one thing about cars. ive had mechanics tell me my wheel bearing was bad when in reality i discovered it was the bushing in my lca... and i went back and told him he was wrong.

this is definately part of my motivation to learn what i can about my car so i can avoid situations like this...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (amy del sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amy del sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theyd tell me i needed fluids changed that i didnt even have!</TD></TR></TABLE>

what they tell that you needed?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amy del sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ive had mechanics tell me my wheel bearing was bad when in reality i discovered it was the bushing in my lca... and i went back and told him he was wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mechanics are people too. They do make mistakes. But, there is a different of a mistake that is honest and a mistake meant to mislead for the purpose of unnecessary repair.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear **** like this all of the time. Most women are not car savvy, and the mechanics take advantage of it. Her attitude of the car being fixed justifying the high repair cost just perpetuates this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sad, but true. I have girl-friends tell me what they are told about their cars and it is sad. People that do **** like that make honest people look bad.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Re: My friend (EGinNY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGinNY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Slip in the words "small claims court"... he'll cooperate(sp) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeap for sure....
Old 07-22-2004, 08:03 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My friend (MNEJ1GUY)

letting the level on the fuel get too low would clog the fuel FILTER not the fuel pump. the air filter being dirty could cause a hesitation.

it depends what was wrong with her car in the first place.

what 'module' are we referring to here?

Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLATER97EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but she won't listen.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Case Closed.