Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My fogs keep burning out and ground is getting hot. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fogs keep burning out and ground is getting hot. Please Help

Hello,

I friend gave me jdm style fogs for 95 civic without the harness because his harness burned out, no idea why.. So i began by making my own harness using this idea

Then all of the sudden my bulbs burnout both of them. I replaced them and redid all the wireing again making everything look clean. After doing that my grounds that go from the bulbs burn out.
I redid the wireing the third time and after connecting everything, the ground wire comming from fog bulb that is connected to chasis is getting hot. I also notice the the bulbs are glowing brighter than my head lights :rofc:
I connect the fogs in series and parallel and both ways the ground is getting hot.
I dont know what to do, do i need somekind of resistor?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My fogs keep burning out and ground is getting hot. Please Help

anyone Please?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i would use a 4 terminal relay since thats all u really need. and ground is hot so u have alot of resitence somewhere in the circuit.. corrosion is main cause report back more details
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always check fuse first
Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hes getting excessice current to the ground. meaning resistance. either ur bulbs are rated to high for that circuit, the wires are to thin, corrosion somwhere..

ps that relay doesnt look right.

85-12v input
86-ground
30-12v to switch and indicator
87A-unused
87- output to fogs
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tico
hes getting excessice current to the ground. meaning resistance. either ur bulbs are rated to high for that circuit, the wires are to thin, corrosion somwhere..

ps that relay doesnt look right.

85-12v input
86-ground
30-12v to switch and indicator
87A-unused
87- output to fogs
That is an example of the diagram. I used genuine honda fog relay which is four connectors. My bulbs are the same ones as in headlights. 55Watt each. I put smaller fuse, 10 amp. Im just afraid to start a fire because last time when I had thicker wires, they melted too. They were thicker than stock headlight wires. If stock headlight bulbs are fine, why these arent?

Im rewiring again and this time soldering everything and making sure I have a good ground. The only ground that is getting hot is from fogs. Other grounds that come from switch and relay are fine.

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea the 4 terminal relay is what u need. but you have alot of amps flowing through them.. fogs should be hooked up in parallel.. check all the wires and make sure there all good, as in no cracks, fraying, and corrosion. just keep us posted..
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 AM

Those EG fog lights are pretty small and they produce a great deal of heat but due to it's size it's hard for it to disspate the heat.

Only way to prevent from burning out is see if you can get a lesser watt bulb like 35 watts and run at least a 14 guage wire from relay to the bulbs.

And 10 amp fuse will not do for 2 lights, for one yes but not for 2. Becareful with some wires these days because they increase the insulation and decrease the strands. For automotive wiring, try to look for something that uses smaller multi strands for they will hold the amperage better.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tico
yea the 4 terminal relay is what u need. but you have alot of amps flowing through them.. fogs should be hooked up in parallel.. check all the wires and make sure there all good, as in no cracks, fraying, and corrosion. just keep us posted..
I hooked them um parallel, Cleaned all conectors, soldered all the terminals, bassicly made a new harness lol. Ill will se what happens. It doesnt heat up instantly, last time it took like 30 mins for fogs to be super hot, the light ray even melter a piece of plastic wrapping tube.

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Those EG fog lights are pretty small and they produce a great deal of heat but due to it's size it's hard for it to disspate the heat.

Only way to prevent from burning out is see if you can get a lesser watt bulb like 35 watts and run at least a 14 guage wire from relay to the bulbs.

And 10 amp fuse will not do for 2 lights, for one yes but not for 2. Becareful with some wires these days because they increase the insulation and decrease the strands. For automotive wiring, try to look for something that uses smaller multi strands for they will hold the amperage better.
Im running atleat 14 gauge and the reason i put 10 amps because i had 20 amps before and it didnt pop but melted the wires, so i put in 10 amps to see what happends. It still doesnt pop. Do they sell 35 watt bulbs at advanceaotoparts or walmart? I only find 55 watt or 100 watt

Thanks for all the help