Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my first DIY oil change problem what OIL ( read inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my first DIY oil change problem what OIL ( read inside)

Well guys I am going to do my first oil change at home. I am having a problem finding the Valvoline Durablend in my area as Archi had suggested to me. So m choice are either Mobil1 or Motul. I can get Motul for the 3$ more and it comes in a 5.5L instead of the 4.4L Mobil1. I know that Mobil1 is very highly rated around here but what would suggest. Also what size is the bolt on the oil pan?

Thank you

Dave
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my first DIY oil change problem what OIL (93SiVtec677)

well i think the bolt should be 16 ot 17mm. And by bolt do you mean replace it or what socket wrench to use?? I'd stick with Mobile 1, make sure its fully synthetic. And filter, well Fram will do I guess. Since nothing out there i've seen in my area is close to fram <---- incase you might ask later!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my first DIY oil change problem what OIL (*****est_raver)

well what socket wrench to use and for the filter I will use the OEM one from Honda
Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Electrician

OEM Honda filte and Pennzoil dino.

Is there a specific reasdon why you're using expensive oil?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

cause I can get the Motul for 30$ CND.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but what socket size is the both
Old 08-18-2005, 07:36 AM

You dont even have a socket set. i would seggest going out and buying a socket set and getting under the car and seeing for your self.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:40 AM
H-T White Ops

22 and you've never done an oil change? Holy hell!?!?!?
A socket isn't going to fit your oil filter. Get an oil filter wrench if you're a girly man that won't be able to turn it by hand. The drain bolt I believe is a 17mm.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my first DIY oil change problem what OIL (streetracerof06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetracerof06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You dont even have a socket set. i would seggest going out and buying a socket set and getting under the car and seeing for your self.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why in the world would he do that? If all he's doing is working on a Honda, that'd be a waste of money. Take the ignoramus comments elsewhere.

You can pretty much work for hours on your car using a 10mm 12mm 14mm and 17mm socket. 19mm is necessary if the axles are coming off.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (IslandSi)

The filter you can crank off with a big wrench, but my guess is you don't have one. In that case, stab it with a screw driver and twist it. Most of the time I can use my hand to break it loose, although I use the grippy FRAM filters. Put the new filter on hand-tight, lub the rubber seal on it with motor oil first.

Like they say, real men use their hands to change their oil, not their credit card. Dave, welcome to the club. I think...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

NAPA gold filters are good, they are made by WIX.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have already done my own oil changes at the garage but my mech. would just give the socket wrench for the bolt in the oil pan and I should of taken the time and looked at what size it was but I never thought I would do it own my own due to limited space. As for the oil filter I am not worried about taking it off

Also I am 22 but not everybody has the space to do it so now I will do it on my own so **** off. The problem is that you assume that I don't know how to do it just because I don't know the fucken size of the bolt and then you act all smart by saying at that and making fun of me and not even answering my fucken question?

Anyways if someone could just tell the size plz.

thanks

Dave
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

yep now that I have the space I am going to be doing it on my own plus its cheaper and its fun.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why in the world would he do that? If all he's doing is working on a Honda, that'd be a waste of money. Take the ignoramus comments elsewhere.
You can pretty much work for hours on your car using a 10mm 12mm 14mm and 17mm socket. 19mm is necessary if the axles are coming off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is f*cking stupid. Why the hell would he go buy 5 socket sizes seperatly? So when he's working on his bike and needs an 8mm, he's fucked? People use there sockets for more than just there Honda. Just buy a f*cking set and call it a day.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

the thing is I do have a set I just want to know what size? thats all
Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have already done my own oil changes at the garage but my mech. would just give the socket wrench for the bolt in the oil pan and I should of taken the time and looked at what size it was but I never thought I would do it own my own due to limited space. As for the oil filter I am not worried about taking it off

Also I am 22 but not everybody has the space to do it so now I will do it on my own so **** off. The problem is that you assume that I don't know how to do it just because I don't know the fucken size of the bolt and then you act all smart by saying at that and making fun of me and not even answering my fucken question?

Anyways if someone could just tell the size plz.

thanks

Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great attitude assclown. Did you look where I said that's it's a 17mm? Obviously not. Tell me this. If everybody here tells you that it's a 17mm bolt and you'll need a 17mm socket to get this bolt out, and for some freaky reason it turns out that the 17mm is the wrong size. What the hell would you do? Curl up in the corner and ******* cry? NORMAL people keep trying different sockets until they find one that fits. That's what you should be doing you spoiled little bitch.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 AM

17mm
Old 08-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zseeanz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great attitude assclown. Did you look where I said that's it's a 17mm? Obviously not. Tell me this. If everybody here tells you that it's a 17mm bolt and you'll need a 17mm socket to get this bolt out, and for some freaky reason it turns out that the 17mm is the wrong size. What the hell would you do? Curl up in the corner and ******* cry? NORMAL people keep trying different sockets until they find one that fits. That's what you should be doing you spoiled little bitch.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Owned
Old 08-18-2005, 09:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great attitude assclown. Did you look where I said that's it's a 17mm? Obviously not. Tell me this. If everybody here tells you that it's a 17mm bolt and you'll need a 17mm socket to get this bolt out, and for some freaky reason it turns out that the 17mm is the wrong size. What the hell would you do? Curl up in the corner and ******* cry? NORMAL people keep trying different sockets until they find one that fits. That's what you should be doing you spoiled little bitch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I admit, this kid might be a dim bulb, but people like you are the reason H-T has a bad rep for smashing everyone that asked a simple question. Why waste your time to flame, when all you had to do is simply not state your ******* poor-*** opinion. Yes, I admit, the question asked was pretty ridiculous and he could have simply figured it out on his own, but not everyone is as smart as you obviously. Quit being an *** and keep your opinions to yourself *******.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zseeanz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zseeanz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I admit, this kid might be a dim bulb, but people like you are the reason H-T has a bad rep for smashing everyone that asked a simple question. Why waste your time to flame, when all you had to do is simply not state your ******* poor-*** opinion. Yes, I admit, the question asked was pretty ridiculous and he could have simply figured it out on his own, but not everyone is as smart as you obviously. Quit being an *** and keep your opinions to yourself *******.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey look here *******, he has a right to be an ******* for flaming the guy on the forum for being an ******* if he wants....Take your own advice and simply do not state your ******* poor-*** opinion....*******.

So the first guy was an ******* for being an *******, you are an ******* for pointing out he was an *******, and Im an ******* for even posting on this thread!!

I love Honda-Tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

******* count = 9
Old 08-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awdriscol4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well guys I am going to do my first oil change at home. I am having a problem finding the Valvoline Durablend in my area as Archi had suggested to me. So m choice are either Mobil1 or Motul. I can get Motul for the 3$ more and it comes in a 5.5L instead of the 4.4L Mobil1. I know that Mobil1 is very highly rated around here but what would suggest. Also what size is the bolt on the oil pan?

Thank you

Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

It should be the same size you use on your Bently you ball swallowing goofy ***
Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">22 and you've never done an oil change? Holy hell!?!?!?
A socket isn't going to fit your oil filter. Get an oil filter wrench if you're a girly man that won't be able to turn it by hand. The drain bolt I believe is a 17mm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dunno about you, but i rather be a girly man and loosen a burning hot oil filter with a wrench, then grab it like a macho moron with your bare hands, just to prove to yourself that your a real man, and perhaps make up for waht your lacking between your legs?

a stock drain bolt will be 17mm, and for the filter, your better off getting one of those big filter pliers, its good to get off a variety of filter sizes. because depending on brand of filter, they size varies a bit.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eddiebx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddiebx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dunno about you, but i rather be a girly man and loosen a burning hot oil filter with a wrench, then grab it like a macho moron with your bare hands, just to prove to yourself that your a real man, and perhaps make up for waht your lacking between your legs?

a stock drain bolt will be 17mm, and for the filter, your better off getting one of those big filter pliers, its good to get off a variety of filter sizes. because depending on brand of filter, they size varies a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks it from Numba wun gurly meng!! dis iz h0wz i be dozen itZ!!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patastinky)

The bolt is 17mm. Remember to pick up a new crush washer for the bolt from Honda. I buy them in bulk so I always have one handy.

The new Honda filters are smaller in diameter than the old ones and the ones you'd typically find in stores. The regular filter wrench might not fit the smaller filter so that's something to consider. I use Fram Tough Guard filters.

There's no need to use synthetic unless your car already uses it. I use Castrol GTX 5W30.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonas99)

I heard honda's take WD40

Quick Reply: my first DIY oil change problem what OIL ( read inside)