Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Nice progress keep it up!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM

Nice Build! I see it's coming along very well. Also great donor car you pretty much got your car all set up. I can't wait to see when it's all finished. Eg hatchbacks are one of my favorite Honda's and I love to see them fixed up right.
Keep up the good work!

Happy Tuning!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SimpleTire
Nice Build! I see it's coming along very well. Also great donor car you pretty much got your car all set up. I can't wait to see when it's all finished. Eg hatchbacks are one of my favorite Honda's and I love to see them fixed up right.
Keep up the good work!

Happy Tuning!
Thanks! It'll be an awesome first car, I can't wait for the day I get to drive it to school in the hot summer with the sunroof open. It'll be like a dream come true.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay guys, bad news.. It started snowing! In mid-April, ON SHAKESPEARE's BIRTHDAY/DEATH DAY.. if this continues updates on the car will be rough. I'll try my best to keep it going. The motor mounts are cracked and ready to come out. This weekend it should be apart. I'm going to finish the interior this week and on the weekend the motor will come out. I'll update tomorrow because of 2 factors; 1. It's still pretty much together and 2. I'm at my grandparents until 5:00 so I'll get home around 5:30. 6:00 and i'll work on the car until 10:00 - 10:30 got all my school work done so I'll be safe. I'll be sure to take lots o' pictures for you guys.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please give me tips and stuff to look out for along the way, and i've asked a couple of questions in some posts and no one has answered, let me know. I'm not trying to hastle just looking for some answers and some insight.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceVtechTurbo
Okay guys, bad news.. It started snowing! In mid-April, ON SHAKESPEARE's BIRTHDAY/DEATH DAY.. if this continues updates on the car will be rough. I'll try my best to keep it going. The motor mounts are cracked and ready to come out. This weekend it should be apart. I'm going to finish the interior this week and on the weekend the motor will come out. I'll update tomorrow because of 2 factors; 1. It's still pretty much together and 2. I'm at my grandparents until 5:00 so I'll get home around 5:30. 6:00 and i'll work on the car until 10:00 - 10:30 got all my school work done so I'll be safe. I'll be sure to take lots o' pictures for you guys.
WTH?

Been driving through sauga most of the day and there's been rain followed by sunshine.

Just calling you out on the slacking

Lets get that swap and rust cut out vid going :D
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by habanerored06si
WTH?

Been driving through sauga most of the day and there's been rain followed by sunshine.

Just calling you out on the slacking

Lets get that swap and rust cut out vid going :D
I'm serious! Lol. Up in Barrie we had up to 8cm of snow as of last night and this morning! I'm basically done tearing apart the white civic. i'll post pictures of it all torn apart tonight. My dads working a split shift 8am-8pm as opposed to 6am-4pm that he usually works so I can't cut it out myself. This weekend I promise the motor will come out... Well considering I got the interior done early i might do it tomorrow with a buddy of mine.... Should I? I feel pretty confident. I think I will, i can do it. Hopefully if next weeks weather is good we'll cut out the rear quarters. I'll draw up in perminant marker where we're going to cut it out for guys.. RIGHT NOW. So you have an idear
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some pictures!

So intimidating;

Interior half way.

Where we're going to cut, (please give feedback)

This is the camera the will be video taping the cut and what not just to give an idea.

And this is my current transportation

PLease give feedback on the cut, we were just 'brainstorming' when we came up with this. So if anyone has tried it let me know and how it came out. I'm pretty anxious.

Last edited by SpikedInterest; 04-24-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Wrong picture :P
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some pictures!

So intimidating;

Interior half way.

Where we're going to cut, (please give feedback)

This is the camera the will be video taping the cut and what not just to give an idea.

And this is my current transportation

PLease give feedback on the cut, we were just 'brainstorming' when we came up with this. So if anyone has tried it let me know and how it came out. I'm pretty anxious.
You reminded me of a link I wanted to share.

This guy did some phenominal work returning his EG from Terminal Cancer (Should even inspire some Cancer researchers).

Link > http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=24

In this thread he has the same issue that You and myself have. That bottom area near the tail light. He fixed it using a custom metal piece. Should help.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You reminded me of a link I wanted to share.

This guy did some phenominal work returning his EG from Terminal Cancer (Should even inspire some Cancer researchers).

Link > http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=24

In this thread he has the same issue that You and myself have. That bottom area near the tail light. He fixed it using a custom metal piece. Should help.
That is almost exactly what we're doing, but if you saw my car in person, it is far worse than his. But we figured we could just cut it out of the donor car instead of spending hours on shaping steel sheets. I bought the quarters pre-made, and the spots under the tailights are at least decent on the white car so it should be an (almost) direct weld on. We are going to do the same method of welding as well, tack it all down, then grind, sand, puddy, sand, puddy, sand, primer, paint. It'll take a couple of days to get it near perfect. I'm a little worried that when we cut it out it'll just crack and turn to sh*t. Just not trying to get so excited incase it all falls apart so I won't feel as bad. I have to reorganize the basement tomorrow so we can fit more parts in there, and I have to finish up the interior so the motor pull will have to wait until Thursday.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GOOD NEWS! My Dad got off work early, and pulled me out of 4th period class so we could get the engine, and tranny out, separated the motor and tranny, then we set it up outside for a little pressure wash. I also finished up the interior and pulled off the fenders. I also got told to reorganize the basement so here are some pictures of my work.

Motor Pull

Really badly done bay

Motor on Dolly

On stand

Pressure wash

Clutch

Tranny S80 YSK-2

Nearly Brand-new shift linkage arms with andonized shifter **** pole (don't know the name)

Peace out interior and ECU !

How she sits.

Thats all for now. Let me know what you guys think so far. The battery plate is a bust, we don't have any scrap metal and its not worth the money right now. I'm going to sand-blast my strut bars and repaint them red to match the car.

I'm not actually a fan of the colour red, just figured because the car came stock that way it would be nice to leave it that way.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GOOD NEWS! My Dad got off work early, and pulled me out of 4th period class so we could get the engine, and tranny out, separated the motor and tranny, then we set it up outside for a little pressure wash. I also finished up the interior and pulled off the fenders. I also got told to reorganize the basement so here are some pictures of my work.

Motor Pull

Really badly done bay

Motor on Dolly

On stand

Pressure wash

Clutch

Tranny S80 YSK-2

Nearly Brand-new shift linkage arms with andonized shifter **** pole (don't know the name)

Peace out interior and ECU !

How she sits.

Thats all for now. Let me know what you guys think so far. The battery plate is a bust, we don't have any scrap metal and its not worth the money right now. I'm going to sand-blast my strut bars and repaint them red to match the car.

I'm not actually a fan of the colour red, just figured because the car came stock that way it would be nice to leave it that way.
That's awesome! He yanked you out of class? So cool, wish I had those kind of memories.

Man you got it out already. Why not buy some of that Silver Princess Auto Engine Enamel and make her clean!

Keep it up bro

Love the progress man.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's awesome! He yanked you out of class? So cool, wish I had those kind of memories.

Man you got it out already. Why not buy some of that Silver Princess Auto Engine Enamel and make her clean!

Keep it up bro

Love the progress man.
Yeah he did. I though it was hilarious. He'll never do it again though. He just wanted to make a big jump in progres because he wants to park his infiniti in the garage for winter. Lol.

I have to take apart the second steering column because i need a steering wheel, i sold the riced out one for $20 along with the motor so i need to be able to control the white one, especially because we 1 have no brakes and 2. my driveway is on a hill... What a disaster in the making.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not buy some of that Silver Princess Auto Engine Enamel and make her clean!
I'm not going to bother with that, once we get it all out, we're going to get both blocks hot tanked, along with the head. Just so everything is fresh. Once my dad gets back on his regular schedule we have to drop out the gas tanks out of both cars, remove all suspension components from the white one, sand blast, paint, and bushings (depending on condition), then install on the red car and move all the rusty old bits from the red car and put them on the white car and send it out to the wreckers ! It'll be completely useless once we cut it up, so might as well recycle it. I'm excited because once the body is done, and suspension is being done, I can take apart the motor and send it out for the new parts, head gasket, manifold gasket, the new/used header, hopefully intake manifold and GSR camshafts, and head lubed up with ARP GSR Head studs. the engine build is going to take awhile because 1. we need to build the LS vtec on OEM parts and put it all together to see if it'll start, and if it does, we have to take the engine back out and drop the block down, clean it up again and then I have to save up for new pistons and rods.

Questions; Would it be wise to get main studs/bolts?

Should I go with a thicker or thinner head gasket to increase or decrease compression considering I am going to put a turbo in down the road and I figured putting this in early so the motor could 'train' or 'adjust' to this change so it'll be ready for the turbo? I just did some light reasearch so I am not sure.

According to my reasearch the GSR ARP head studs would be the best use for this build, correct?

What is the best recommended bushings for LCA, and other suspension arms, I've read Energy Suspension is best compared to OEM, is this correct? I'm pretty sure it is.

Also what do you guys recommend for body filler? I haven't done much research so I'm not entirely sure on what I should go with. Recommendations, prices, and locations would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by SpikedInterest; 04-26-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Trial User

anyone help me with d15b turbo set up answers?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d15b-booted
anyone help me with d15b turbo set up answers?
I might be able to help, whats your questions, power goals, and budget?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dug up the ol' 450cc DSM Injectors.

Out of curiousity, would an integra fuel rail benefit my build? Would it be an upgrade or would it be the same as the OEM b16a fuel rail? Or would it be a cheap upgrade? Is it worth it, or should I just go with the skunk2 composite or AEM? Recommendations please.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Trial User

I am loving this thread.. i too just bought my first project car, a 92 dx hatch... this summer ill be dropping a B18b1 and getting it road race ready...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dug up the ol' 450cc DSM Injectors.

Out of curiousity, would an integra fuel rail benefit my build? Would it be an upgrade or would it be the same as the OEM b16a fuel rail? Or would it be a cheap upgrade? Is it worth it, or should I just go with the skunk2 composite or AEM? Recommendations please.
Originally Posted by Mayeux2412
I am loving this thread.. i too just bought my first project car, a 92 dx hatch... this summer ill be dropping a B18b1 and getting it road race ready...
You talking Type R Integra Rail? I've seen it done. Can't remember if it needed some modding/fab work

If you're going to buy something buy AEM. Unless you get a deal on a used Junk2 rail.

Mayeux, wish I there was places to road race in Ontario. Police have made it hard here and their are fines of $10k when caught road racing (which may or may not involve car being destroyed or not. can't remember).
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You talking Type R Integra Rail? I've seen it done. Can't remember if it needed some modding/fab work

If you're going to buy something buy AEM. Unless you get a deal on a used Junk2 rail.

Mayeux, wish I there was places to road race in Ontario. Police have made it hard here and their are fines of $10k when caught road racing (which may or may not involve car being destroyed or not. can't remember).
No just a basic fuel rail. I was thinking it would just be a cheap upgrade but I haven't found anything on it.

Well the Junk2s are only a couple hundred bucks. But I was thinking of going into the city to magnus motorsports because although they mainly deal with DSMs they do have a small honda inventory. Plus they have a sweet dyno and top notch technicians. Would be a dream of mine to work there. Back on topic, if they don't have anything I want i'll just opt out and buy AEM, and see if i can get a package deal for the air/fuel ratio gauge. and tru boost gauge. I'm also pondering whether or not to get a tiny netbook laptop, load it with XP and Crome with all the civic software I can get and install it in the car like Brian Spellmen had in his GS-T in the first fast in the furious (but more hidden. like in center console to pull it out so i can adjust it on the fly. or make a swivel mount).

For racing purposes there are a couple of tracks but they're like figured 8's or circle tracks that are completely useless. And the auto-X scene isn't very big in ontario, mostly domestic types of races. I don't plan on showboating my civic, but if some guy trys to outrun me, i'll give it a little go but as soon as it gets insane, i'd back off. Care a little bit more about my life, and my car as opposed to loosing some little run on the highway.
And yeah, you're lucky if you get slapped with a fine only, its typical to get your car impounded. And for the most part they remove all the illegal stuff or 'racing' parts and sell it at a police auction as a car that 'needs work' or as a 'parts car' kind of thing.

Can anyone answer my questions prior to the post about the injectors? I'd like to get some answers so i can have everything prepped for when I send it out to the shop.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really nice build just got a 92 hatch for myself the other day with a b16a/b18c head haven't had the time or money to do anything. really great of your dad helping you out in everything you need. cant wait to see it finished
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic2243
really nice build just got a 92 hatch for myself the other day with a b16a/b18c head haven't had the time or money to do anything. really great of your dad helping you out in everything you need. cant wait to see it finished
You and me both! Let me know if you need any help or advice, i should be capable of helping you out. The great thing about these hatches is that the ECU is completely reprogrammable. I have two P28s and my dad got a whole bunch of those chips that we can program for certain applications. I want to have a fuel economic chip, race chip, and a street use chip. But then again if I just get the ostrich i can hook it up to a laptop and do it in the matter of minutes. At-least I hope so. When you get the chance you should do a compression test to see what condition the engine is in, just to ensure it is healthy and worth the work.

Good luck! Sounds like you got a good start.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You and me both! Let me know if you need any help or advice, i should be capable of helping you out. The great thing about these hatches is that the ECU is completely reprogrammable. I have two P28s and my dad got a whole bunch of those chips that we can program for certain applications. I want to have a fuel economic chip, race chip, and a street use chip. But then again if I just get the ostrich i can hook it up to a laptop and do it in the matter of minutes. At-least I hope so. When you get the chance you should do a compression test to see what condition the engine is in, just to ensure it is healthy and worth the work.

Good luck! Sounds like you got a good start.
yeahh im thinking about just doing a straight street chip cuz its gonna be my daily driver once i get my license back lol i still have to put it all together when i bought the car the head was off cuz the guy i bought it from replaced the head gasket but didnt resurface the head so once i get paid i gotta do all that. i plan on having it fully built once i save up some money still deciding on going n/a or turbo leaning towards the turbo though
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic2243
yeahh im thinking about just doing a straight street chip cuz its gonna be my daily driver once i get my license back lol i still have to put it all together when i bought the car the head was off cuz the guy i bought it from replaced the head gasket but didnt resurface the head so once i get paid i gotta do all that. i plan on having it fully built once i save up some money still deciding on going n/a or turbo leaning towards the turbo though
Look into an Ostrich 2.0 great little unit from what i've read and heard. Give it a look.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look into an Ostrich 2.0 great little unit from what i've read and heard. Give it a look.
yeahh defiantly will whatever i can do to make it that much better you know what i mean

Quick Reply: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build