Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Originally Posted by crawfo661 View Post
thats not a z6 head on your red car, just sayin.......
lol... Its a Z6 man. Canada didnt get VTEC on all their valve covers like we did.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pepsiDX20 View Post
Yes it its. The 92-93 models didn't say vtec on them and came in black like the d16 heads. Notice how the plugs are in the front of the head. You can also see the vtec solenoid on the back of the head.
Correct! I was puzzled at first wondering why the valve cover didn't say 'vtec' on it, and the block said d16z6.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas View Post
You know a pretty decent amount for being 15.
Thank you! My parents wouldn't even let me look at a car until I did research then proved that I knew enough to own one. I've beend reading since May 2011 and made my account in July then I started asking questions. I feel safer now as opposed to how I felt back then. Knock on wood.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I am going to start disassembling the engine bay for when the old man gets home because I have the day off school today. I should have it ready and cracked open, ready for when he gets home.

Also is it safe to use a screwdriver bit and place it in the 'bitch pin' and than tighten it down with a C-clamp so it will pop out without expanding? Just wanted to make sure because I have read a little on it. Wondering if i should do more reasearch. I pretty much have it down pact + I have a website that I found step-by-step instructions and precautions on... Should I do more?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok If that motor is Z6 then it has a non Vtec head on it. Yes the 92-95 D16Z6 all had a valve cover that said Vtec. But again it does not matter since you are not using that motor, sell it for more build funds.
A S80 trans can be either a GSR or a LS trans. My Ls trans is labeled S80. You will need to check the VIN number on the trans to see if it came from a GSR or a LS. The LS tans INO is better for boost because of the longer gearing.
You can ARP hardware from those muscle car shops. ARP is used by every one and every make of car in the aftermarket. Or go online and get them.

Last edited by nealnanoHX; 04-20-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RaceVtechTurbo View Post
Today I am going to start disassembling the engine bay for when the old man gets home because I have the day off school today. I should have it ready and cracked open, ready for when he gets home.

Also is it safe to use a screwdriver bit and place it in the 'bitch pin' and than tighten it down with a C-clamp so it will pop out without expanding? Just wanted to make sure because I have read a little on it. Wondering if i should do more reasearch. I pretty much have it down pact + I have a website that I found step-by-step instructions and precautions on... Should I do more?
"Bitch pin" is that a technical term??? What are you talking about??
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX View Post
"Bitch pin" is that a technical term??? What are you talking about??
I mean't the shift linkage pin. The article I was reading called it a bitch pin. I thought I'd use it.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX View Post
Ok If that motor is Z6 then it has a non Vtec head on it. Yes the 92-95 D16Z6 all had a valve cover that said Vtec. But again it does not matter since you are not using that motor, sell it for more build funds.
A S80 trans can be either a GSR or a LS trans. My Ls trans is labeled S80. You will need to check the VIN number on the trans to see if it came from a GSR or a LS. The LS tans INO is better for boost because of the longer gearing.
You can ARP hardware from those muscle car shops. ARP is used by every one and every make of car in the aftermarket. Or go online and get them.
No it is a complete D16Z6.. The valve cover just doesn't say VTEC on it. As for the transmission i'll give it a look, if it is GSR should I change the 5th gear to an LS 5th? or keep it GSR internals. About the ARP's, are they universal? Or do I need vehicle specific studs and bolts?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As of now, i have everything removed from the engine bay except the engine and tranny, shiftlinkage and CV shafts. Although I am about to take off the CV shafts I have the front end dissassembled so they are ready to be pulled out. Would the procedure I talked about above work? or should I use a hammer and punch? I'm nervous about the hammer because IMO you should never have to hammer on an engine.. especially something like a shiftlinkage.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, use the hammer and punch. A screwdriver might screw up the pin. I found that a punch is the easiest way.

ARP bolts are specific and you should buy them. But focus on that as you are building the engine. Also, it won't matter what year your LS block is as you are probably going to want to replace everything brand new, i.e. oil pump. Since you are planning on pistons and rods, it shouldn't matter much.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by anothersickhatch View Post
Yes, use the hammer and punch. A screwdriver might screw up the pin. I found that a punch is the easiest way.

ARP bolts are specific and you should buy them. But focus on that as you are building the engine. Also, it won't matter what year your LS block is as you are probably going to want to replace everything brand new, i.e. oil pump. Since you are planning on pistons and rods, it shouldn't matter much.

Alright sounds good. I'll make a call tonight to a local shop and see if they sell honda head studs and bolts after we get the Z6 out, and tomorrow someone is coming to buy the motor so it should all come together well. Bolts and Studs aren't that expensive are they? When I call I'll ask and see how it goes.

Thanks for everything guys, I appreciate it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some pictures of the engine taken apart ready to be pulled.

The hook on the top of the motor for the hook was missing we'll have to hook up the cherry picker/engine hoist to the driverside engine mount in hoist it out like that.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man i wish my local yards had stuff I need I did find a sweet prelude engine in one but it was already opened and was dirty so it would need a lot of work. BTW my delsol is the only one around here... And I still havnt seen a b16 in the yards so its hard to find stuff
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes View Post
Man i wish my local yards had stuff I need I did find a sweet prelude engine in one but it was already opened and was dirty so it would need a lot of work. BTW my delsol is the only one around here... And I still havnt seen a b16 in the yards so its hard to find stuff
a lot of B series are interchange able. Say you need a throttle body; well a b16a like mine has a 58mm, where as a b16a2 b16a3 or b18b1 all have 60mm and at my yard they are 25$ for any honda throttle body. I have also found aftermarket motor mounts for a b series swap that I bought for 30$.

Try you local classifieds, or look for a 'parts car' or 'parting out' type of ads, a lot of people have just parts lying around from previous cars they had and sold. My dads neon is his beater and it's more of a car made from other cars than a complete neon. Ahaha but he has never paid over 200$. A lot of the wrecking yards don't understand what certain parts are. Especially if you find an aftermarket header, and cover up the name, they usually cannot tell if its OEM or aftermarket or what, because truth be told.. they don't really care.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything motor wise that I decide to replace/get rid of i'll let you know, so you can decide whether or not you want to buy it or not.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Dad got home so we got to work on pulling the motor; here are some pictures.

A guy is coming to pick this motor up tomorrow so i have more $$$ to spend on my new hood, fender, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, and ball joints.

I'm going to roll her out into the drive way and pressure wash it again so I can see what shape the engine bay is really in. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I also have to pick up some autobody tools in the next couple of days. Along with WD40 for the other car.

Thoughts? Comments? Tips? Give me anything.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes me wish I had parents to help me.

But reallly nice build, I would swap out the PS rack for a manual one, just one less thing you have to worry about as every time I've gotten a B swap the PS pump is always toast, who wants to spend an extra 200 on a pump and lines anyway. Definitely in to see where it goes.

BTW is that upper timing belt cover interchangable with a Y7? If so I'd be interested in buying it.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ehrkeith View Post
Makes me wish I had parents to help me.

But reallly nice build, I would swap out the PS rack for a manual one, just one less thing you have to worry about as every time I've gotten a B swap the PS pump is always toast, who wants to spend an extra 200 on a pump and lines anyway. Definitely in to see where it goes.

BTW is that upper timing belt cover interchangable with a Y7? If so I'd be interested in buying it.
I honestly have no idea. I know very little about D-series. I think i'm going to hang onto the PS rack just because I have two (a buddy dropped off a second one) and a manual one in the donor car, so if I ever want to swap them I can so I should be safe.

By the way, does anyone know if there is truely a difference between a SR3L PS rack and an F-8 PS rack?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I found a skunk2 IM for sale.. But he says its B18C1 only.. will it fit on my b16a head? Let me know asap.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignore the above ^ I researched.. it won't work
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. Really I just think I need like everything around the engine lol. Do u no if the radiator overflow tank is the same on a del sol as any one like a civic or accord?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes View Post
Cool. Really I just think I need like everything around the engine lol. Do u no if the radiator overflow tank is the same on a del sol as any one like a civic or accord?
I would assume it would be the same as the civic. Consider its on an EG chassis and is called a Civic DelSol or CRX DelSol. Try googling it; 'is the delsol radiator overflow tank the same as civic eg?'
Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow looks awesome man! Take my word for it, clean up the bay with the engine out of the car. I wish I did when I did my swap
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicjunkie17 View Post
Wow looks awesome man! Take my word for it, clean up the bay with the engine out of the car. I wish I did when I did my swap
Yeah I know, I just didn't want to notice bad rust spots or holes where they shouldn't be while I'm putting the motor in. But so far I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. It's actually a lot cleaner than I expected, I'm almost 90% sure that the engine bay compensates for the rust below the tailights.

A little bit of an update. I talked to a guy in toronto and he's willing to make a deal with me for a brand-new oem hood primered for $182.73 taxes in. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, but not putting it on because after i roll out the red one, i'm going to drive in the white one for the tear down and engine pull.

Think I got a good deal? Or ripped off? Aha.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Bud love the build. You picked up some good deals. How much did you pick up that B16 for?

Also you mentioned a junk yard with a B18C5? Which yard is that? I live in Toronto also and would help if you could tell me which one.

Kijiji is less scary than craigslist. I LOL'd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: