Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My exhaust is too short!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust is too short!! HELP!

Hi guys, today as I was trying to finish up my EK hatch, I ran into a problem... My cat is about 6-8 inches from the b-pipe on my exhaust. This is not gonna work, obviously, so I need some advice...

The setup is a 98 EK, USDM B16 and stock Civic Si exhaust manifold and cat... The exhaust is a Buddy Club ProSpec CTR catback, which according to the guy on the phone at Evasive, is supposed to bolt right up to my setup. Unfortunately, it falls short...

I also have a JDM ITR 4-1 in my room, and in the future, I will be adding it with an adjustible test pipe...

But I need to pass emissions first. Oregon has really lax emissions control, you can literally roll in to the DEQ, and all they do is check to make sure any OBDII car does not have a CEL. If you dont have a CEL, you pass, no inspection, no testing, no nada.

But if I can't get my freaking cat hooked up to my exhaust, there's no way I can make it to the DEQ without getting pulled over...

So far, I have come up with two options:

I can have an exhaust shop fab me a small little "extension" to make the pipes fit.

I can install the ITR header, and measure the gap (if there still is one) and order a universal Carsound cat in that length.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Nate
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (Nate047)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nate047 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can install the ITR header, and measure the gap (if there still is one) and order a universal Carsound cat in that length.</TD></TR></TABLE>

id go with that one just because you'll probably use the ITR header eventually.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thats shitty man. I didnt think mine was going to hook up. i thought the catback or converter wasnt meant for my car. I pushed the exhaust up some and it surely did fit. At first i had a big gap jus like urs. Also the 4-1 and test pipe idea would seem to make the most sense. Ive never had it with a test pipe just high flo converter.
Is ur exhaust loud now? how loud do u want it to be with the test pipe?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Farts in the shower

Go the cheaper route instead of ordering another cat, just get it towed to a exhaust shop and have them set you up with some piping that will connect the 2.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (.ken)

did you just put that exhaust on you car with the engine swap or did it fit before the swap, the exhaust on the B16 should fit perfectly with the EX cat and chassis, don't modify a brand new exhaust because some *** sold you the wrong one
Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (sicones)

i'd just goto a exhaust shop and ahve a exntended pipe made, shouldn't cost more thna 30$

or you can make it yourself, 2 falnges and pipe, 10 minutes of welding, shrug
Old 10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (Steven Poljak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steven Poljak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats shitty man. I didnt think mine was going to hook up. i thought the catback or converter wasnt meant for my car. I pushed the exhaust up some and it surely did fit. At first i had a big gap jus like urs. Also the 4-1 and test pipe idea would seem to make the most sense. Ive never had it with a test pipe just high flo converter.
Is ur exhaust loud now? how loud do u want it to be with the test pipe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I fumbled around with the exhaust for a while, I don't think it has enough play to make the gap... I bet the reason is that the JDM CTR probably has a longer cat or something, the exhaust is designed for a j spec car, not a USDM hatch with a USDM swap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you just put that exhaust on you car with the engine swap or did it fit before the swap, the exhaust on the B16 should fit perfectly with the EX cat and chassis, don't modify a brand new exhaust because some *** sold you the wrong one</TD></TR></TABLE>

No the car has not been on its feet for quite a while... The swap and the exhaust are new editions, and I dont think the exhaust is the wrong piece. All the bends fit perfectly, and a lot of people use this exhaust with test pipes or hi flo cats... The stock cat is the problem I think...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd just goto a exhaust shop and ahve a exntended pipe made, shouldn't cost more thna 30$

or you can make it yourself, 2 falnges and pipe, 10 minutes of welding, shrug</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I had access to a shop and knew how to weld, I would do that...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go the cheaper route instead of ordering another cat, just get it towed to a exhaust shop and have them set you up with some piping that will connect the 2.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^This is most likely what I will do, I think its the easiest, most cost effective way to get the car running for now.

Thanks guys, hopefully this will be squared away soon... I'm sick of not having this car running!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why tow it to a exhaust shop.....run it open header to teh exhaust shop....have them extend it...no problem. I ran into the same problem with me Apexi WS2 exhaust...I lined up perfect with the stock Y7 motor, but when the gsr motor went in, I had about a 4 inch gap...
Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, why was it too short? I'm just alittle curious.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:42 PM

or, u can make a new test pipe that goes in place of the cat(obviously being 6-8inches longer because of the gap), from the header to the b-pipe
Old 10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (lemon_juice)

This may be ghetto, but if you are just trying to get it to the DEQ, you could always go down to your local auto parts store and grab some flexible exhaust tubing, then stuff one end in the cat and the other in the exhaust.

It would probably leak, but it would be better than running an open header and you could at least make it to the DEQ for testing.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (lemon_juice)

I would put the header on, and get a cat. If you ever want to sell the exhaust, no one is going to want it all cut up.

Good luck with your decision
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My exhaust is too short!! HELP! (Ketone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ketone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would put the header on, and get a cat. If you ever want to sell the exhaust, no one is going to want it all cut up.

Good luck with your decision</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I will not me modifying the exhaust, that would be a bad call... I am going to have a special small extension tube made with 2 flanges on it that will simply fill the gap until I can afford to get a hi flo cat.... That way the exhaust will not be cut or anything. I mainly need to be able to pass smog, and I cannot do that with a test pipe. But after I get my stickers, the test pipe is probably what I'll be doing.

And thankfully I have anoither car, so I dont have to tow it... I can measure the length and just drive to an exhaust shop with the numbers and have them make it.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i would definitely just get an extention made. i doubt it'll cost more than 80bucks. if u go with a new cat, lmk what it is if it passes emissions. haha i need one for my gsr lol
Old 10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

Carsound cats pass OR emissions, I had one on my EM1...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

high flow? my friend's high flow carsound made his car throw a CEL after 20miles of driving. lol my magnaflow high flow threw a CEL about a month after using it. maybe my turbo had something to do with that though. haha
Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: just when you thought you were different, WA, NWforLIFE

wheni had my ctr motor, i had a ctr specific catback, jdm itr cat jdm 4-1 header and it bolted up like clock work. technically if your catback was for ctr, the si exhaust manifold supposedly is the same length as the jdm itr one but minus the 2..5 collector, and the si cat would be too LONG......but in your case, the bpipe is short...so that makes me wonder....

why dont you line up the jdm header and see how much shorter or longer you need...because you technically should needa shorter cat if your bpipe was made specifically for ctr

the header on your motor might actually be a gsr header....because those are shorter than the si/jdm itr, some food for thought.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 PM

i thought you said something else was too short. anyways...o.o; hope it works out fine
Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">high flow? my friend's high flow carsound made his car throw a CEL after 20miles of driving. lol my magnaflow high flow threw a CEL about a month after using it. maybe my turbo had something to do with that though. haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it was a hi flow cat... No CELs all 8 months I had it before my car got stolen...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kidkombo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the header on your motor might actually be a gsr header....because those are shorter than the si/jdm itr, some food for thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is possible. However the guy who sold the motor sold the "stock"manifold with it... And the header does not hang lower like some B18 headers do on B16s... SO yea, I dunno...

I'm definately going to just fab a small tube to connect them, thats the way with the least hassles...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imaginAZN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought you said something else was too short. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Comming from a guy who has "AZN" in his SN... LOL
Old 10-12-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: (Nate047)

just drive like that to a local muffler shop and have them ext the cat out to fit exhaust piping
Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTD Autoworks)

Yup, thats what Imma do...