Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My engine oil has gas in it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine oil has gas in it.

And that's a fact.

Ughhh... just ughhhh. I [freak]ing new there was something wrong with my engine lubrication. When I turned off the car, it wouldn't sound right. Ever since... I don't know, last oil change. What could it be?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine oil has gas in it. (Cleft_Asunder)

Could this be a headgasket issue? I have an issue with the HG leaking coolant.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's not a blown headgasket (you even mentioned for me that you have a head gasket leak) leaking coolant into your oil? Are you sure it's gas?

How did you come to the conclusion that there's gas in your oil (and please don't tell me that you tested it by lighting the drained oil on fire..)?

It's your headgasket - it's blown/leaking - the coolant is leaking and watering out your oil - you need to get a new head gasket, and you need to bring your head to a shop to get milled, and depending on how hard it was hitting when it blew, the block might need to be decked as well.

Summary: Your engine needs a lot of machine work and it'll cost a pretty penny.

Or maybe you can try to half-*** patch it by just replacing the head gasket and seeing how far you can get before it blows out again because the mating surfaces are uneven.

If it's a D series, you're better off just buying a new one, unless you plan on rebuilding the whole engine for boost or something..
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine oil has gas in it. (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure it's not a blown headgasket (you even mentioned for me that you have a head gasket leak) leaking coolant into your oil? Are you sure it's gas?

How did you come to the conclusion that there's gas in your oil (and please don't tell me that you tested it by lighting the drained oil on fire..)?

It's your headgasket - it's blown/leaking - the coolant is leaking and watering out your oil - you need to get a new head gasket, and you need to bring your head to a shop to get milled, and depending on how hard it was hitting when it blew, the block might need to be decked as well.

Summary: Your engine needs a lot of machine work and it'll cost a pretty penny.

Or maybe you can try to half-*** patch it by just replacing the head gasket and seeing how far you can get before it blows out again because the mating surfaces are uneven.

If it's a D series, you're better off just buying a new one, unless you plan on rebuilding the whole engine for boost or something..</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I don't think there is coolant in the oil. I will check though by placing a drop on a hot pan to see if it boils. Ummm, but I know for certain that coolant is leaking from the right side of my engine out of the head gasket. It's a minor leak, and only comes out on occasion. My coolant loss is not drastic at all. As for the engine oil, it smells like gas! What can I say? Shouldn't it smell like oil? And also, it has a thin/watery quality about it. I doubt it's coolant because it smells like fuel. I have to get my oil changed asap.

I ordered a new HG and bolts from majestic honda, and other things. I will be doing the work myself so it won't cost that much. I will be taking the head to a machine shop, yes. But you make the whole thing sound really hopeless! It's just a slightly blown gasket.

What do you mean by how hard it was hitting when it blew? How hard was what hitting? Engine runs fine. And why would I want a new D series engine??

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rings would be my guess, have you done a compression test? if your rings are prety worn then some of the air fuel misture will get by your rings and down into the crank case. This generally always happens a little bit but it might be pretty bad on your setup.

This is exactly what the pcv system is supposed to help with. you might check that your pcv valve isnt needing to be replaced.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine oil has gas in it. (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rings would be my guess, have you done a compression test? if your rings are prety worn then some of the air fuel misture will get by your rings and down into the crank case. This generally always happens a little bit but it might be pretty bad on your setup.

This is exactly what the pcv system is supposed to help with. you might check that your pcv valve isnt needing to be replaced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the suggestion but why would you assume rings when I have a leaking head gasket? Wouldn't that be the first thing to suspect?

Also, yes, I did remove my pcv valve to clean it recently. I doubt it failed but who knows? Maybe there's a leak in it too.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only way that gas can get to oil is from a injector that is stuck open or is not shutting completely.

When you shut off the motor there is residual pressure in the fuel lines/rail. This pressure is making the gas drip out of the stuck injector, past the valve to the piston, then it seeps past the rings and into the oil.

So check your injectors.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine oil has gas in it. (thesmogman)

Head gasket will have nothing to do with gas in your oil. Rings are pretty much the only thing that will cause this, unless you're adding fuel to the oil yourself.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only way that gas can get to oil is from a injector that is stuck open or is not shutting completely.

When you shut off the motor there is residual pressure in the fuel lines/rail. This pressure is making the gas drip out of the stuck injector, past the valve to the piston, then it seeps past the rings and into the oil.

So check your injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but the ring is part of the head gasket, isn't it? I'm running fp60 so I doubt my injectors aren't clean.

edit: Err, nevermind, rings are part of piston. But ummm... how hard is it to change the rings myself? Probably really hard since pistons need to be removed. ****.

Modified by Cleft_Asunder at 1:21 PM 8/21/2008
Old 08-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cleft_Asunder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm running fp60 so I doubt my injectors aren't clean.

[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure? Because the injectors are the only way for gas to get to your oil. Unless you just did a compression test without disabling the injectors.

fp60 are you saying that you are running your fuel pressure at 60psi. or something else?

I am thinking that the stock injectors might not handle 60psi and you are pushing gas thru them. This is just a thought I do not know what pressure they can handle/hold.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fp60 from lube control distributors. It's the ****.