Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my engine is making a weird type of a grinding noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my engine is making a weird type of a grinding noise.

hey guys my name is jace and i am new at this whole form thing, buy anywho i have a 92 civic hatch with a longblock b16a2, turbonetics turbo, turbonetics waist gate, 9 lb spring, 450cc injectors, and all that fun stuff, anyways i just put a brand new engine in my car, brand new stage 1 clutch master clutch...my mechanic that put my engine in my car (Joe Hously from add it 2 your toy) states that it is my alternater...i have never heard an alternater make that noice...not doubting him but just dont know all the way...the noise its making does not really grind...but its like the noise it makes when it is eating away your engine when it is not timed...now the car is time might i add...now the other thing is when i am going down a hill or even when im just driving straight and i let go of the gas to let the car catch its self its almost like it slips or pumps its self, my firiend informed me that it is most likely because i have a high performance engine and i have a light weight fly wheel...anyways i know its long but thats all i have...please let me know what you think and if you can help me. thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 AM

Default Re: my engine is making a weird type of a grinding noise. (Atreyu57)

whining sound. yeah. it is the alternator. its the bearings in the alternator that causes that sound when they go bad. also in the power steering pump. if its got a pulley on it, its got a bearing, that can go bad, then u get that ERRRRRRRRRR/EEEEEEE/WooOOoOOoo. sound i onno how to describe it in words rofl.

that pumping action is the result of your injectors shutting off at that certain rpm and ur lightweight flywheels not helping cuz it has less momentum in it. now there are ppl who always argue INJECTORS NEVER SHUT OFF OR ELSE ULL STALL, false.

according to ur ECU, if ur rpms are above a certain limit (for exmple 2000rpm) then the injectors shut off wen u let off the gas. if your under that limit, it comes back to prevent the car from stalling. im not making this stuff up, DIESEL cars do the same thing. look it up on yahoo fools!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my engine is making a weird type of a grinding noise. (jxmac2o6)

right on thanks...however i do not have powersteering and its not like a whining noise, its almost like a grinding/slipping noise...ha ha i dont know how to explain it...but yah that makes scence of my injectors