Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My EJ8 slow build 1997 civic coupe ex

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My EJ8 slow build 1997 civic coupe ex

What's up honda tech i'm new to this stuff and got myself a 97' coupe ex a while back. Got some questions to ask about my wittle civic haha
Mileage on the car is pretty much unknown to me since my speedometer doesn't work, but everything else on the cluster works fine. Might be the speed sensor which results in the needle not working, but it'll randomly work at times and then just stops working in the middle of my drive. Not sure though might even be the cluster.

my bezel trim is in good condition besides the broken vent flap things

how it sits now

paint chips on fenders and small dents on both fenders. should i get new fenders?

pretty bad scratches on rear bumper and a crack on the bumper under the left taillight can't really tell from the picture.

closer look on driver side

how the engine looks

different manifold not stock it's called airmass?

ebay type of intake bolt on I'm guessing? would like to swap this out for stock air box and what not

d16y8

interior looks pretty good like 7/10 maybe idk just a bit dusty

back seats

my headliner was coming off, so i decided to remove it and when i get the time i'll get some new fabric and that adhesive spray to put it back together

another look of the headliner

almost forgot I'm guessing since the previous dude had switched the intake and manifold he switched the exhaust pipe and muffler to idk how big. looks like around 2" maybe a little more not sure haven't checked

my whole plan for this build is pretty much getting it back to stock engine wise and get a new paint job, fix my fenders, side skirts and lower it on f&f coil overs or maybe even swapping out the motor because I'm not sure if its worth keeping this engine in without knowing any info on the engine about mileage and what not. what do you guys think? is it worth going with this build or should i just sell it as is and go for something else maybe another civic in better condition?

Last edited by mehrio; 04-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My EJ8 slow build 1997 civic coupe ex

I dont see any pictures..
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AddiXz
I dont see any pictures..
im guessing it doesn't support flickr images. uploading them to photo bucket right now
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fixed the image problem. images now available to see.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean. Depending on your own personal history this seems like a good car to Learn how to do multiple things on. If that makes sense...doesn't seem like a bad start...no rust?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures work indeed. How much did you pay for it?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22steaksauce
I mean. Depending on your own personal history this seems like a good car to Learn how to do multiple things on. If that makes sense...doesn't seem like a bad start...no rust?
yeah that sounds good since it's my first car i'd like to learn all this stuff about my car and not have to depend on others to fix it for me. I'm not sure if theres rust doesn't look like there is, but i'll give it a closer look later to make sure if theres some small rust portions or big ones.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures work indeed. How much did you pay for it?
1800, but recently my tranny has been acting funny. at first i thought it was my motor and the mounts making the front end shake, so i did that trick of holding the brake and giving it gas and it stays stable. my only guess is the tranny is acting up cause when i start it up the tranny starts to rattle underneath and then stops after a while and as I'm driving and slow down you can hear it rattle and it sounds pretty bad when I'm just taking off in 1st especially in drive thrus it shakes a lot so I'm not sure what it could be and looked around and either its the clutch and flywheel or heat shield or idk I'm really not sure
Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mehrio
1800, but recently my tranny has been acting funny. at first i thought it was my motor and the mounts making the front end shake, so i did that trick of holding the brake and giving it gas and it stays stable. my only guess is the tranny is acting up cause when i start it up the tranny starts to rattle underneath and then stops after a while and as I'm driving and slow down you can hear it rattle and it sounds pretty bad when I'm just taking off in 1st especially in drive thrus it shakes a lot so I'm not sure what it could be and looked around and either its the clutch and flywheel or heat shield or idk I'm really not sure
Hmm i don't know what normal prices are over there lol. But doesnt sound like the worst price.

Not sure if it's your tranny. Is it just a rattling sound, or actual vibration of the car? How does it feel when you shift?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm i don't know what normal prices are over there lol. But doesnt sound like the worst price.

Not sure if it's your tranny. Is it just a rattling sound, or actual vibration of the car? How does it feel when you shift?
it doesn't vibrate the whole car it's just underneath when i take off in 1st. could be my tranny mounts. it doesn't shift smooth/buttery, but it feels fine. a bit rough, not much though where it feels really bad.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mehrio
it doesn't vibrate the whole car it's just underneath when i take off in 1st. could be my tranny mounts. it doesn't shift smooth/buttery, but it feels fine. a bit rough, not much though where it feels really bad.
So it's actually just a rattling sound you hear? If so i would first check the exhaust system. the cat's have a heat shield around them (quite useless i think) but after time they tend to rust and start rattling. I just took m off. Worth the shot of looking at it right?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it's actually just a rattling sound you hear? If so i would first check the exhaust system. the cat's have a heat shield around them (quite useless i think) but after time they tend to rust and start rattling. I just took m off. Worth the shot of looking at it right?
yeah just rattles when i start it up and stops after it warms up. yeah i heard about the heat shields being one of the causes i'll check that out soon and find out how to remove it and post an update
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good find man, maybe you can run a carfax to get an idea of the mileage. It Should bring up the last reported odo reading with a date so you can get a clear picture.

As for the F&F coils, I have type 1's on my 00 EX and got them
For $535. So far so good for me with them, as this isy daily driver.
The ride isn't bouncy, but you do feel the occasional
Dip and such depending on road conditions. If you want a basic set, that's a good one to get.

For the rattle, it very well could be the heat shields. There's 3, on the heads, cat, and near the rear of the resonator and close to the fuel tank. I recently had a cat back installed and I'm experiencing the most annoying rattle ever! The pipe after the resonator is pretty much resting on that heat shied, not good. Anyways, going back to the shop to get it sorted.

As for your car, check a car fax report to get an idea of the mileage at least. And from there you can decide to continue the project or start fresh!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That thing needs LOTS of body work unless you want to outright strip it and just focus on performance either swap it or boost you'r current Y8. it's missing the molding around the doors and the interiour looks miss-treated i'd go looking for a different car you'll be happier in the long run. Body work is a pain imo i'd rather be able to go staight for the engine and not have to worry about the rest. 1.8K is over paying im sorry that looks beat up engine bay is rather clean however why i suggested just ripping the interiour and boosting the D or swapping it
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt look like a bad deal to me man. im from ohio and everything is rusted here so if theres no rust on the body ill take it lol. they look like easy body fixes to me. Get a full SiR conversion with thin side moldings and paint the car and your good to go body wise
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need some work but other then that its ok.
And that intake tube is on backwards the iat should be right by the tb. Either way I don't like that tube s design.
And the header are probably like eBay ones. Nothing wrong with it tho.