Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My EJ2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My EJ2 Build Thread

I'm a DSM Guy, I have a 1994 Eagle Talon TSI AWD:

However Anyone that knows DSM, knows you gotta have a daily driver. I've gone through motors, Everytime I blow one up or break something I think to myself, I should find a daily driver. However I'm always broke. This time around, my brand new built 2.0 just went down the drain because of a Fram Oil filter. Oh yes! A filter killed it! As I was toying with a helpless Cobra in the dark, I didn't notice my car was smoking and BOOM goes the motor. The oil filter fell off! Go Figure. So I figure, I can put together a stock motor for around 500 bucks.... But Damn it would be nice if I could just find a cheap Daily Driver.

I got Lucky. I picked up a 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe with an Auto Transmission. Ehh on the Auto Transmission. All it needed was a Head Gasket. So 500 Bucks, 10 Gallons of Water and 30 miles later, I get her home. Ugly lil thing...

I got to work, Picked up a Autozone Graphite Gasket for 24 Bucks after tax and I pulled the head to find this:

So I put the new head gasket on and the new timing belt I already had for it and started her up. Vrooooom! She ran great! Doesn't even Touch the coolant logo with the needle!

Now something has got to go, those wheels! So my friend hooked me up with his GSR Fat 5's for 100 bucks and a Vtec Valve Cover for 25.

Now she looks pretty decent, minus that paint. I'm still buffing her out but she's coming to. I also picked up some JDM Fog Lights, the Ebay Kind.... Everyone was right, that switch sucks! lol, And some fake JDM EG sidemarkers. Don't have the sidemarkers wired yet. But ehh, that can come when the weather gets warmer.

Well not that long ago a friend who had an 11 second Non vtec EF Turbo, hit me up cause he found out about my lil honda toy. He Gave me a bunch of stuff! Yep, GAVE! He gave me a box of brand new YCP Vitara Pistons, B16A6 Motor with about 10 miles on it. Brand new Z6 Block (not a honda block, some kinda aftermarket), a Ported and Polished z6 head with a comp cam, 2 Intakes, EX Vtec Harness, Spare low mile Z6 Head with Brand new stock Cam and a 5spd Transmission! YEP GAVE!

So the idea has been to build up that z6 block I have. Vitara Pistons, Forged Rods, Stock Crank, The Head I have and turbo it.

So far I've spent a total of $700.20 with the purchase price of the civic in there and some Mc Donalds. Yesterday I sold the A6 for 150, Filled the tank for 25 and bought a 12 pack of Mt. Dew for 5. So that currently puts my project at around 575 I believe.... tomorrow I Insure, Do Emissions and Register the car. So that will be around 150-200 bucks putting my total back at 700 total. Also tomorrow I'm trading the stock steelies, and a Pioneer DEH-P490 stereo for a P28 ECU and a brand new Eagle/YCP Vitara Rod/Piston Combo! OH YEAH! I honestly didn't know the Vitara's were part of the deal. I was trading him for the P28 and Eagle H Beam rods to go with my current Vitara's. He now just told me that YCP Vitara Pistons come with them and NPR Rings. And he's saying its all new! Are you F'n Serious....!!!

So how should I register this.... I paid 150 or 200 for this stereo a year ago for my talon, Should that be listed as how much I've spent? Prob huh?

I just now need a Z6 Crank and some ACL Bearings, ARP's, MLS and other odds and ends and I'll have it done. However I don't wanna toss that motor in without going 5spd, so I'll need whats left over to convert to 5spd.

Currently this is what my civic looks like:

NOTE: That is not my car, but it is a spitting image of it. I just don't want to take a up to date picture of my car until the paint is looking good and its clean. We've been having bad weather! I'll take some good photos of it in the next week if mother nature allows.

So what do you guys think so far. I cannot believe I've gone this far with a honda with soo little cash. Nothing with DSM's goes that smooth! lol.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My EJ2 Build Thread

in for more progress, i hate that some of my buddies are DSM guys, makes it boring when we go on car cruises and they have to drive **** like cavaliers.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DSM's are **** like Cavaliers?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SWAT
DSM's are **** like Cavaliers?
no, maybe i should rephrase.

They have to drive things, like cavaliers. As in a couple of them have newer body style cavaliers for DD's.

on the upside, their cavaliers run.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM

yea dsm ftl
awd turbo cars are the ****, when they run...
Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh. I don't think I could drive a Cavi.... Or a Chevy Period. I'm a DSM Guy to heart, They hold the world records for quickest 4cylinder to date, and quickest AWD. Just pure awesome cars to build up into a 1000hp War Machine. Just not good if your unable to maintain them. They can be daily drivers, but must be taken strict care of. Any kind of abuse and things to go ****.

I know honda's can be powerful, But thats not what I care about. I like that they start up every f'n morning without hesitation and can take abuse... like driving 30 miles on a blown head gasket, going through 10 gallons of water lol. Honda's are perfect daily drivers, I can't wait to see my MPG now that I'm on my first full tank of gas.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol sorry i couldn't resist.

liking the build so far. will keep an eye on it fo sho
Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Talon! Good luck with the new Honda; hope it treats you well
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D16SiHatch, Sorry I like mine better...

haha. However mine wasn't walking, Just spun a rod bearing. The idiot who built the motor (which was my 2nd motor) ground down the crank. Thats a big no no! It went bye bye fast! Like 80 miles or so.

basil, Thanks. I have soo much in that talon. Alot of rare parts, its my thing. The Honda, well I've always wanted a 5g coupe. I hate EG's and EH's. And now I got one and things are going soooooo swell with it. Now I don't have to worry about the DSM. I'm going to rip the motor out of it, build a 2.4L Hyundai Motor for it, prob have it repainted Jet Black and much more. But the cool thing is, I don't have any time limit on it anymore. I have a daily driver. The Honda is helping me enjoy my talon sooo much more.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D16SiHatch, Sorry I like mine better...

haha. However mine wasn't walking, Just spun a rod bearing. The idiot who built the motor (which was my 2nd motor) ground down the crank. Thats a big no no! It went bye bye fast! Like 80 miles or so.

basil, Thanks. I have soo much in that talon. Alot of rare parts, its my thing. The Honda, well I've always wanted a 5g coupe. I hate EG's and EH's. And now I got one and things are going soooooo swell with it. Now I don't have to worry about the DSM. I'm going to rip the motor out of it, build a 2.4L Hyundai Motor for it, prob have it repainted Jet Black and much more. But the cool thing is, I don't have any time limit on it anymore. I have a daily driver. The Honda is helping me enjoy my talon sooo much more.
You got it wrong anyway, you are using a 6 bolt crank for your picture!

I'm going to rip the motor out of it, build a 2.4L Hyundai Motor for it
Yes, this should help out immensely with quality and reliability.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
You got it wrong anyway, you are using a 6 bolt crank for your picture!
Yes, this should help out immensely with quality and reliability.
Good Eye! Like I said it wasn't walking. Any motor can walk, But 6bolt walking is like a honda walking.

And as for the 2.4... Hell yeah it will. G4CS motor can produce more power/torque with less done. Its a 6bolt version of a 4g64. But N/A. So after a 700 dollar Rod and Piston Combo from MAPerformance, 4g63 Head with FP3 Cams and the FP3065 Turbo I'm prob going to run, I'm looking at a very easy, very clean, very reliable 500-600hp without breaking a sweat. On top of it, I plan on running E85 for that extra gooberness of fun. The Hyundai motor is used quite often for De Stroker kits such as the 2.1 11000rpm Stroker Setup. Its just nobody calls them Hyundai Motors and hardly anyone knows them by G4CS except the people running them. They all usually call them 4g64's.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well yesterday brought me gifts.

I traded a Pioneer 400W IMPP Sub for a set of Ebay Coil Overs (I'm fine with it, its a budget project) from Kyoh and my real toys, I traded a Pioneer Premier DEH-P490IB for a virgin P28, and a brand new Eagle Rod and Vitara Piston Combo with NPR Rings. I already had some Vitara Pistons, but oh well. I didn't know the Vitara's were coming with the rods, I thought I was trading for the P28 and Eagles. But I AM NOT COMPLAINING, Thats about 600 bucks in parts right there I got for a stereo!

I started on cleaning the P28 Up to get ready for the socket.

I did not know there were more things that needed to be done. Looks like another smaller chip, and a couple resistors of some sort?

Does anyone know of a site that shows the whole job being done and what supplies I should get? I already have the socket. And I'm not going to chip it. I plan on running the Demon Board. So anyone has info on what all can be done to the little P28, please speak up. I'd really like to know. I already know about the USB Port at location CN2, but what else can be done.... What chip do I need for that other location.... IC4? What Resistors... Please lemme know as soon as you can so I can finish her up.

This will be my 2nd job, and its actually more advanced than a DSM. DSM you just desolder the Eprom chip, and solder in a socket and your done. Here's my Eprom Job...

In the mean time, I'm gonna clean up the rest of the P28 for the hell of it.

Last edited by SWAT; 03-25-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice progress on the build man, ive got a 95 dx coupe too. what upgrades are you going to be doing to the brakes and suspension? for sure i wanna do the integra rear disc conversion to get rid of those drums
Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Prob will do the same. I'm not in any real hurry or need for brakes. But I do plan on Installing some sway bars soon also. I'll install the Coil Overs on the brand new stock shocks. And prob just leave it at that. My plans aren't high with the Civic.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Question, does anyone have a picture of where all 4 points for the USB Data Port, where they go... I wanna use a multimeter to insure that all are soldered on right.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not many responses.... If anyone has the info please lemme know...

anyway I took advantage of the little bit of good weather we had yesterday, today was okish too. Lowered her. I picked up cheap ebay coil overs from this guy, they were stuck to the struts unfortunately so I had to use the old struts instead of the new ones that were on my car.

The guy I got the coil overs from was in a very nice GSR EJ1. The paint was fenomenal so I asked him about it and he said he had it repainted. It used to be red and fraked up just like mine. So he had this place repaint it some Dark Gray Metallic color. Looks awesome minus the fact that they just sprayed the outsides. BUT if your going to have the stock color re done, then this is perfect. He spent 700 bucks on it. I think I'm gonna do that come June or July. Have the car re sprayed Paradise Blue Green Pearl. After seeing what a former members car looks like that is prob the most mint condition EJ1 on this forum (I can't think of his screen name but he posted his pics alot in the EJ1 Pics Thread with gunmetal hub caps), I like the stock color. Plus the price of having the car properly re colored is too much for my taste.

Infact this is his car

I asked him if there were any noticable screwups and he said no. I can't complain for such a cheap price. I wanna do it too.

Last edited by SWAT; 03-25-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I could help you on the electrical stuffs... but I cant. Either way, here is a bump for you!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car looks good so far and it seems like a very nice pick up for the price, and your friend who gave you all that stuff is awesome, I wish I had friends like that lol
Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I been freaking out on how much kick *** stuff I been picking up for nothing.

Thanks a lot. I can't wait for it to become what I want.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lexus/Honda Fog Light Retrofit Done and lookin AWESOME! The light output rocks!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might try xenocron for some info on chipping your ecu.

http://www.xenocron.com/techcenter.php
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

better yet...

http://www.xenocron.com/install/DemonBoardInstall.htm
Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin good, waiting to get this Bonneville (I know I know lol) from this guy I work with before I start to tear into my coupe this spring/summer. Hopefully it comes along as fast as yours is!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
Yeah I already know all about that. But they don't tell you ways to test out stuff, like to confirm the soldering points are kosher lol. But it doesn't matter, I just sold the P28. I'll pickup another one later since I'm not ready for it yet. And I am going to run the Demon Board with NepTune prob.

Xenocron is the sheiat!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys I need a little assistance. I filled up for the first time the day before I registered the car. After that I drove all over the place and finally hit up the gas station at 303 miles on the tank totaling to 33 miles per gallon. I was jumping for joy. Well later that night I looked at my fuel and it was 3/4 full and only like 60 miles on the tank, So I topped off, and I mean I topped off, I shoved every inch of the fillter tube with fuel till it stopped going down. I now just hit 100 miles on the tank, at half a tank! Last time I was at half a tank I was at around 200 miles.

What the hell happened to my fuel? What changed within a fuel fill up that killed my mpg?

For record, nothing has changed on the car. Both gas stations were Chevron.

On top of that, I have D2R HID's with a custom block off plate on the way, Amber Smoked Corners, and LED's from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ to do my Gauge Cluster.

I'm trying to locate a 08+ Honda CRV Single Din Stereo. Its the only single din honda stereo with MP3 Playback and aux input. And I found out its made by Clarion. I figure that would be a great upgrade for a Civic hehe. I plan on getting the car side wire harness with it and wiring it into the Alpine Amp under the passenger seat I just finished installing so the audio is top notch. I wont be installing subs, well no subs you guys would recognize. I realize that EG's rear interior panels are different, but in all reality they are very similar, so I'm going to yank both rear panels and customize the EG's to fit in the EJ so I can have Speakers there, maybe even some "JDM Yo" Gathers Speakers and inside the stock locations in the rear will have Elemental Designs 6" Subwoofers in custom fiberglass enclosures. Nobody will even know and no trunk space will be lost but I'll have a good amount of audio going on. I might also replace the door speakers with the ED Subs so I have a total of 4 for a whopping 800wRMS of surround sound bass and come up with some kinda kick panel design for components.

The whole idea's are still in planning stages, I must first do the EG conversion to the rear.

Quick Reply: My EJ2 Build Thread