Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My EJ1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 My EJ1 Build

I know there are allot of build threads out there, so I thought I join the fun lol. I live in an apartment complex, so it`s difficult to work on the car and do what I want to it. So with out further adue, here is is my baby:

She has 270K on her, (unoffically because my speedometer works when it wants ), and she is still running strong.

Parts I replaced since my dad gave me the car in the summer of 2010:
Rebuilt AC Unit
New dizzy, since the stock one died after 16 yeas
Pepboys brand radiator
Bosch Platinum 2 plug
7.5mm Bosch Wire set
New fuel filter
Cheap ebay strut tower bar

I know, its stock, but my plans for the car is to get it from 125whp to around 140 or 150 na hopefully by the winter of this yea. But, here are my planned parts for the summer:

A major clean up of the engine bay
Fresh Black Pearl paint
Eibach Sport System Lowering kit (1.6 drop, both front and back)
AEM short ram intake(./)
Either F7`s or OEM LCA`s
Either DC or Magnaflow exhaust, Greddy or Apexi if I have the case
And possibly a carbon fiber hood, to drop some weight

Here are a few other views of my baby, feel free to comment and let me know of I should add or remove anything on my list. I will add more picks as the summer goes by. Remember, this is my long drawn out build lol

Last edited by Blacknight117; 08-25-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Long Drawn Out `95 EG Build

swap it or boost it. dont waste time with bolt ons!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b20v or lsv!!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sorry im not trying to criticize your car but holy S*it dude clean up your bay atleast go to a autoparts store get some purple power get a can of break cleaner and some steel wool and go to the car wash and clean it up looks like *** rightnow like its been said Swap it or in my personal favorite boost it.. looks like you have the z6 so it should be fun and

Originally Posted by 88_hatch_ls
b20v or lsv!!!!!
LSV really this guy no offense doesn't know that much since he's talking about boltons so he shouldn't build a LSV so it can blow up in his face

i would say more of a GSR swap with a B16 head poor mans type R
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I know, it looks like ***...but again, I live in an apartment complex that if I even open my hood, they tell me to close the hood or else they will fine me...which imo is bull, so cut me a little slack bro..

PLUS I GOT IT FROM MY DAD. So I couldn`t touch the car, he was very protective of it. I am going to clean it up as soon as I move out of this crappy *** complex...I will put up 'cleaner' pics when I am able to clean up. And yes, I have the D16, great little engine.

And as far as a swap, I was think of dropping a JDM D15B VTec. Please don`t tell me that`s a waste of time, because I don`t plan on racing the car and I don`t have stupid money to get a B or even a K...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say dont even bother with swapping that d15b if your not looking to race just concentrate on cleaning the car up maybe cheap bolt ons i guess when you find them cheap
Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just looking to have a little fun with the car. When and if I get my shop open, than I may put more into it. But until that happens, I'm going to be cheap with what I do. If you feel that I'm wrong, thats fine.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont know what everyone's obsession is with the d15b lately. with stock internals its not going to be any more powerful then a stock boosted z6 or y8 or d15b. they all hold the same power and the only way to maximize the efficiency is to boost. No d series even the d15b is going to make any bigger gains with bolt ons.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking pretty good, i would get rid of the headlights. +1 on the cleaning the bay, it will make a huge difference.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lake mod
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So this is a "Eventually gonna build thread"?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Bud... looks like a good starting point.

I would do a lot of research and decide which way you want to go first (swap/turbo etc)
THEN make a list of what's needed and prioritize the items.

The paint doesn't look too bad, I would do that last (also because there's a higher chance for it to get dinged/scuffed when you work on your engine).

I personally don't like the headlights, I would swap them for the stock ones. We're lucky that our headlights are made out of glass and not shitty plastic that becomes yellow every couple of years... but that's my opinion.

As it sits now, I would probably give the car a good clean, make that engine bay look good (cover the dizzy, alternator etc). By good I mean clean, none of the crappy coloured wire looms or unnecessary bling. Just clean it well, give her a good tune up and start saving for the go-fast route you decide to go with.

Good luck,

-Walter
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
Hey Bud... looks like a good starting point.

I would do a lot of research and decide which way you want to go first (swap/turbo etc)
THEN make a list of what's needed and prioritize the items.

The paint doesn't look too bad, I would do that last (also because there's a higher chance for it to get dinged/scuffed when you work on your engine).

I personally don't like the headlights, I would swap them for the stock ones. We're lucky that our headlights are made out of glass and not shitty plastic that becomes yellow every couple of years... but that's my opinion.

As it sits now, I would probably give the car a good clean, make that engine bay look good (cover the dizzy, alternator etc). By good I mean clean, none of the crappy coloured wire looms or unnecessary bling. Just clean it well, give her a good tune up and start saving for the go-fast route you decide to go with.

Good luck,

-Walter
great advice +1
Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
So this is a "Eventually gonna build thread"?
Yes, until I get out of this comlpex I`m in, which is August 1st, I`m stuck with doing very little. But when I get back to Jersey, in my own house, I will be able to do a lot more.

I thought I`d start my thread than add to it as time goes by.

And, I have money for simple bolt ons, not any crazy B or K swaps. Boosting is a def possibility, swapping, not so much
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The car is nice starting point but you dont have to clean it up in the complex there are 50 cent self service carwashes around town im not hating on your car i was tehre with my car when i got it so dont worry its a great start and i think you shouldn't swap for a D15 keep the Z6 its just as good
Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am planning on keeping the Z6, just a few bolt on`s for now. And, I am going to go to my buddies house sometime next week, and change my valve cover gasket, new valve cover bolts, and possibly painting the valve cover, probably a nice black to go with my current get-up. Plus, I`m going to be putting my sri when I get it...hopefully next week. I`ll put up a before and after...should look cleaner when it goes in.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Slowly getting better.

Before:

After:

Next Wednesday I am going to my buddies, and we`re going to try and clean the valve cover. I am also going to attempt to take off the header cover too, it`s getting on my nerves lol
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you planning on eventually doing a DOHC swap in it? I know it's not anytime soon for you or anything, but if it was something you were looking at then I would wait on the paint and the carbon hood until you did do a swap, for the same reasons previously mentioned. A nice paint job and a nice hood stand the chance of getting dinged up while you're waiting to swap.
But, if you're staying single slammer then carry on! Keep it clean, and I like the suspension mods. A good handling car is lots of fun, even if it's not the fastest. You don't need a crazy engine to enjoy your car; build it however so that you'll enjoy it!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the engine subject, my h22 has solid mounts, balance shaft eliminated, headwork, etc.. and it isn't the most fun to drive around town! Haha

So nothing wrong with a d series for a dd!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I`m going to stick with my single. I know I can get 140-150bhp out of it. I don`t plan on doing a crazy K-swap or a B-swap anytime soon. I think I`ll just boost it, maybe 10-15psi...but that`s still down the road some
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please dont boost that motor over 15psi and ride it daily it WILL not be reliable at ALL. even a t25 on 14psi would be pushing that motor to the max. psi means nothing as all turbos are different sizes and flow at different rates. 15 psi on a gt28r and 15psi on a gt30r is 2 different things and the gt30r is bigger and will flow much more. typically 200-220 is the max hp a stock d series can handle reliably.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spent some quality time with my Honda today I had my buddy work his magic on my valve cover and I put in the new bolts I got from Honda,

Now it looks good. I also took out the cruise control since my speedometer works only when it wants and it just cleans up the bay without it there.

I also threw on my lip, it gives my car a more aggressive look.

My next step is to get fresh breather hoses and get my power steering hoses fixed since I think I have a leak some where. It`s not the pump cause it`s bone dry. I have to add fluid to it every 3 days when it gets just above the low line on the reservoir.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that spoon rep lip looks good man, i say plus 10 on swapping out the headlights tho!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Next thing on the list of things to do is to change the nasty rusted breather hoses, the rusted fuel filter bracket, the radiator reservoir bracket, the radiator bracket and screws, and the AC brackets and screws....I`m slowly getting the nasty rust out of my car.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Start. Dont let everyone bashing YOUR car get in your way. You do what you wish but do some research and definatly get an alarm. That hasnt been mentioned yet!? But Most important do things right the first time!!

Quick Reply: My EJ1 Build