Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ!

This is my problem:

It happened on my way home from school. When I was driving, nothing seemed wrong. No smell of anything burning unless I couldn't smell it. I stop at a light, then when I tried to shift my car into gear, it would not budge. So I forced it into 1st and the cars jumps then shuts off. This is what I remembered doing. I hope this helps.

When the engine is off, the car goes into gear, but when I turn it on and press the clutch it doesn't want to go into gear. I tried starting it while in first and reverse; the result is the car jumps then the engine dies. I do not know if my tranny is bad because it goes into gear when the engine is off or if its my clutch. I changed the clutch master to see if that was the problem but no luck. I have not changed the slaive cylinder. I was thinking of doing so to see if its not putting enough pressure to cause the clutch to disengage. Please help! MY car is been stuck for 4 days and counting. My clutch is Hydraulic not Cable. Please excuse any spelling errors.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (Shinswordblade)

How dose your clutch feel
Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (Yodastien)

Yeah, classic clutch problem. I'd be looking at the hydraulics first, master and slave cylinders.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (Yodastien)

Well with the original Clutch master on it it it was fine, but due to the mishap I changed the clutch master. I was also going to change the Slave but no luck finding another. My clutch felt find it had resistance. The thing I noticed after changing the clutch master is that after bleeding it( I don't know if I bleed it right or long enough for that matter since I installed a new Clutch master) when I would step on the gas the clutch would suddenly get "soft" like there was no clutch. I was still having similar problems before I changed the Master especially not being able to shift when the engine is on. I think the only difference between the two if I remember correctly is that before I changed the master the clutch had more resistance than when I changed it. Oh, I don't know if this will help but I noticed one more thing since I changed the master. Everytime I step on it, it sounds like I hear air or something( this is due to changing to a new clutch master) I don't know if this is due to not bleeding enough and/or if there's still air due to it being new. How long does it normally take to bleed a new clutch master and what method do you guys use?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (Shinswordblade)

Recheck all of your lines then rebleed the system. It sounds like you still have air in it. once that is done if your still have problems replace the slave. Don't forget to set the clutch pedle free play now that you have a new mc.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (instructor74)

I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM AS YOU....and i mean EXACTLY THE SAME...dont waste your money swithing the slave and MC...its your clutch, you need a new clutch.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (steve0527)

Thanks for the info. Hopefully that is the problem, and once all the air is out, it should have enough pressure to disengage the clutch. I'll get back to you for the results. Otherwise I may have to replace slave.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up. It's to late for the clutch master since I got a new one already. Before I result to getting a new clutch, I'm going to rebleed clutch to make sure all the air is out. Otherwise I may have to do what you did. You had the exact same problem?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometime when either the MC or the slave goes bad you'll experience the symptoms your describing. The pedal cannot create enough pressure to disengage the clutch.

U said you changed the MC right? Replace slave too, when one goes bad, it puts excessive stress on the other one, causing it to prematurely fail also.

I had a worst case scenario like this happen once, a flywheel bolt had backed out (I guess I tighten it down enough) and cause the clutch to not disengage all the way. I tried everything at first cause I ruled this out.....after finally pulling the tranny again and taking off clutch, I saw the backed out bolt.

can you pump the clutch a bunch of times and then shift normal at least into one gear?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 PM

I also had the very same problem. After I tried bleeding the system, I replaced the master and slave to no avail, so the clutch was next. My clutch had about 80,000 miles on it and the master and slave had about 180,000 on them.

I say find a deal on a nice ACT clutch/press. plate and flywheel combo and have at it!

good luck
Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (Reiketsukan)

I'm going to the order the Slave today. I'll keep you guys posted on the results. All your tips were greatly helpful. If you have any more ideas please feel free to post them. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was me, I'd CHECK the slave before I replaced it. Pull the rubber boot off and see what it does when you press in the clutch.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (MasterKwan)

I should be getting my slave tomorrow if everything works out, until then thanks for all the advice. I hope it's nothing more complicated.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (steve0527)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM AS YOU....and i mean EXACTLY THE SAME...dont waste your money swithing the slave and MC...its your clutch, you need a new clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

COMPLETELY AGREED! Happened to my friend yesterday after school.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (93eg2james)

You guys sure like to jump to expensive conclusions. It MIGHT be the clutch but, it MIGHT be the hydraulics too. Why not test the things you can test before you go through the effort of yanking the tranny?

That's the **** a dealer pulls, tells you you need a clutch when it's something simpler and cheaper.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM

Default Re: My EG DOES NOT Shift into GEAR when my engine is ON. HELP PLZ! (MasterKwan)

This is simple, Look at the clutch fork where it touches the slave cylendar while someone else is pressing the clutch. See if the shift fork moves. If it doesn't, the hydralics are bad. If it does move, something on the inside is bad and you will have to pull the trany to check it out further.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately this problem was on my mishap also. But soon as I finally got it into gear and shifted the clutch was slipping bad. So I notcied the clutch was bad. It just didnt want to go in gear. I changed Clutch and Pressure Plate got one on ebay for hella cheap OEM specs 8 months about 30,000 miles and still running strong.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:57 PM

I was having similar problems, but the clutch would engage when completely stopped, but not when moving. Plus, there would be a whirling, winding sort of sound when I pushed it in, leading me to believe it was my throwout bearing. I pulled the tranny replaced everything with a new ACT-XTSS and everything works beautiful.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM AS YOU....and i mean EXACTLY THE SAME...dont waste your money swithing the slave and MC...its your clutch, you need a new clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have not pedal check the fluid then master cyl.

If you have pedal than chances are your clutch took a dump on you.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your clutch fluid... should be a dot 4. happened to me.. just had to bleed me clutch. and now i'm back to normal.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bleed your clutch the correct way and make sure you have no leaks and your problem will be solved.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (-Gary-)

To all the people out there who gave their time to offer me some help THANKS A BUNCH and Happy New Year.

Well after checking, rechecking and changing the master and slave it all came down to what Steve and Gary had said earlier. Yup my clutch was dead. One of the bolts had unfastened and did some serious damage. Well the money wasn't a waste on the master and slave since they needed to be replaced anyways. Should have took your advice earlier. We learn from experience. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:06 PM

same problem as you, but i happened on track few months ago, then the car sit and store until i had the money for a new clutch........cry cry
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its to late, but yeah, clutch, mine went the saaaammmmeeee way. so did my buddies. good call on replacing that stuff anyway though.