Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My driver side mirror is FLOPPY!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My driver side mirror is FLOPPY!!!

So I get off from work one day and I noticed my driver's side mirror is kicked back. I moved it back into position and noticed it doesn't lock in place and I cannot adjust my mirror from the inside because it's just flopping around. I think someone kicked it or knocked it pretty hard. This was about a year ago.

I decided to take it apart yesterday and I found out the c-clip to what looks like a heavy duty spring has worked itself loose either by someone kicking it or knock it (I assume). However, there is no way I can put this back myself because the spring is more like a valve spring and in order for me to get it in, I need some super human strength which I do not have. I tried a pair of pliers to squeeze it down enough so I can get the c-clip in place, but to no avail.

Has anyone done this and is there a secret to it?

Here are some pics of the mirror stripped down. From the looks of it, it's looks easy, but it's a PITA! Please someone tell me how to easily compress the spring so I can put the c-clip back in.

Gary
Attached Images     
Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My driver side mirror is FLOPPY!!!

Bump!

Ok, it seems like others have had a similiar issue. Has anyone figured out how to compress that damn spring? It's like a fricken valve spring and is difficult to compress.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/whats-wrong-my-side-mirror-250445/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/focking-side-view-%24%25%5E-broken-help-680929/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/gsr-drivers-side-mirror-problem-help-1013029/

So symptoms of a uncompressed spring would be the following:
* side mirror assembly flops around and does not click into place
* you cannot adjust the mirror vertically from the inside (non powered mirrors). You
can adjust it horizontally. The mirror does not stay in position after adjustment.

There must be someone on HT that has had this problem and fixed it without buying another mirror.

Gary
Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem before...You could try compressing it with a couple c-clamps on each side or just buy some mirrors that are smaller and don't fold so you don't have to worry about it anymore...like spoon mirrors.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I met some guy on craigslist who had the same issue. He told me to use two pliers, which worked for him. It took two people to do it - one to hold a pair of pliers and another to put the C-clip on.

I tried his method myself, and was able to do it! I had to use both hands and my legs! LOL!
Legs was used to hold one pair of pliers together against the spring and my free arm to put the e-clip in. I had to use a pair of long needle nose pilers to get the e-clip in and of course the pair of adjustable pliers to compress the spring. It's a bit tricky to get the e-clip in because you need to do it in such a way that it will go in between the head of the two pliers.

If the e-clips rotate, it's going to pop out again because the slot for the e-clip had gouges where the spring pushed the clip up as it broke through the top of the slot. I'm thinking of gluing the clip with industrial glue and putting some wd-40 so that the clip and the spring retainer will rotate against each other vs with each other.

If this doesn't hold, I'll get spoon mirrors as replacements as someone above suggested.

Some pics....
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fryman
I had the same problem before...You could try compressing it with a couple c-clamps on each side or just buy some mirrors that are smaller and don't fold so you don't have to worry about it anymore...like spoon mirrors.
you fixed it or went with spoon mirrors? You or anyone have pics of spoon mirrors?
Gary
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ziptie
Old 02-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by garyhgaryh
Bump!

Ok, it seems like others have had a similiar issue. Has anyone figured out how to compress that damn spring? It's like a fricken valve spring and is difficult to compress.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250445
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680929
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013029

So symptoms of a uncompressed spring would be the following:
* side mirror assembly flops around and does not click into place
* you cannot adjust the mirror vertically from the inside (non powered mirrors). You
can adjust it horizontally. The mirror does not stay in position after adjustment.

There must be someone on HT that has had this problem and fixed it without buying another mirror.

Gary
f'n impossible. Go to wrecker and buy mirror. I tried two c clamps no sucess. To channel locks got it pressed down (with hulkimania strength) but e clip wont hold. I bent it too many times and it just flues off after i let go of channel locks. Two or three man job. Could have been to wrecker and back and installed faster than trying to get the stupid spring compresded and e clamp on.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by erikmsvendsen
f'n impossible. Go to wrecker and buy mirror. I tried two c clamps no sucess. To channel locks got it pressed down (with hulkimania strength) but e clip wont hold. I bent it too many times and it just flues off after i let go of channel locks. Two or three man job. Could have been to wrecker and back and installed faster than trying to get the stupid spring compresded and e clamp on.
or glue mirror bracket so it does not flop and live with it in fixed position
Old 02-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Trial User

Okay. With bench vise, channel locks and 6 tries it appears e clamp is holding. Now to put it on car again. What a piece of junk design