Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my DIY CAIS for cheep!!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my DIY CAIS for cheep!!

I was reading all the diy post online in different forums as well as h-t and decided to not pay 300 dollars for a cais from a name brand company and make my own. I also decided to document the process. Thought i took more than 7 pics but you will get idea.

I started off with parts:
a cone filter from autozone
a 3 inch hose clamp
8 feet of flexible aluminum 3 inch pipe

The next step was to yank everything out that was with the old stock intake
this pic shows my intake gutted out

the next step was pretty simple...lay the aluminum tubing in and feed it in the hold where the return from the stock resivuar was.

As you can see sort of in the pic above that i didn't feel like puncturing the nice shinny tube i got so i went and bought a breather for my oil.

moving on

i then took the filter itself and attatched it to the other end of the tub. And found some plasic strap thing to tie it down so it doesn't move

Then that was basically it. I had my cheep cais. Totalling just shy of $40.

now the b4 and after shots.

b4:

after:

And there you go a cheep cais that doesn't look too bad.

i don't think i did anything wrong but if i did don't be afraid to post it
Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ehh did that really help any? that flex pipe doesnt' seem like it would flow very well. imho
Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (drtyhatch)

i think i just threw up in my mouth
Old 07-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I likes it

Of course, I also bought my ebay intake for about $25 shipped, but yours is good too. Gotta love homemade
Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: my DIY CAIS for cheep!! (Cypher0117)

lol I bought that exact same thing to rig a CAI but decided not to. I think it has like pores in it, so I didn't trust it. Plus if someone touches it it'll rip right through
Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Re: (Maness)

youre asking for hydro-lock.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Re: (Este_Cara)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Este_Cara &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youre asking for hydro-lock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thought thats how cais was? am i wrong please explaine
Old 07-27-2005, 01:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Este_Cara &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youre asking for hydro-lock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

happened to me in my accord. ah. anyway, that's pretty neat.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Re: (Cypher0117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thought thats how cais was? am i wrong please explaine</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think its too too low. You should bend it up or something, V2 style
Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: my DIY CAIS for cheep!! (Cypher0117)

filter good now for no hydrolock?

Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

that tubing flexes like a mother *******
Old 07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Hapexamendios)

not bad for home made. I doubt it made any real difference though...you can probably feel it on the butt dyno
Old 07-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siblueg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblueg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i think i just threw up in my mouth</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (S(J)O(D)L(M))

How much did this cost total?

Your new filter position is good now. Make sure throttle response and idle is ok.

Good effort.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (S(J)O(D)L(M))

******* brilliant, hehe. Cheap, effective, and the ribbing may cause some turbulance, which wont be terrible on that motor, and could cause better fuel atomization cause it isnt a smooth tube??? Please report back to us on NOISE, I imagine its louder than stock of course, but what kinda noise does that tube make?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

i respect ppl who do it themselves!

i'm just really into that j's racing whale ***** so i'd save money to get the passwordjdm one instead
Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oversteerINGS)

For using your brain not your wallet...

Sure, it's probably not going to flow as much as an AEM intake, but it will for sure flow better than stock.

The filter placement looks pretty good too. You should wrap it with some exhaust wrap to help keep the air cold. The only thing I would worry about would be the intake arm heating up.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: (oversteerINGS)

wow I have never seen that before... I wont knock it until i hear the review for it, but u get an A for effort
Old 07-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">******* brilliant, hehe. Cheap, effective, and the ribbing may cause some turbulance, which wont be terrible on that motor, and could cause better fuel atomization cause it isnt a smooth tube??? Please report back to us on NOISE, I imagine its louder than stock of course, but what kinda noise does that tube make?</TD></TR></TABLE>

went for a drive....much louder....sounds like i have a quiet exhaust system going but the exhaust is stock!! The noise is a low deep tone. Very nice. I was surprised that it changed the sound that much thou. It isn't too much faster...but it does have more pull. What do you expect for a d-series thou. lol... Good stuff
Old 07-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Cypher0117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
went for a drive....much louder....sounds like i have a quiet exhaust system going but the exhaust is stock!! The noise is a low deep tone. Very nice. I was surprised that it changed the sound that much thou. It isn't too much faster...but it does have more pull.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I noticed the same thing when I drove my brother's car. "Weird, maybe he got an intake". I popped the hood and noticed he had removed the airbox and everything, and just put a torn up piece of sock over his throttle body and attached it with a hose clamp.

Needless to say, as "cool" as it sounded at first, I had to make he knew how stupid that was. The sound probably makes your head "think" its pulling better. You might even be losing power.

I give you an A for effort, but you get a D - for final product.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: (Cypher0117)

Wow, when u put on a intake u can feel the horse power u gain?? it's only like 3 - 6 or 7?? pretty cool idea. for creativity

LOL, nice try, u could have just got some pipes at Autozone, get a K & N and put it on. Or u can buy a Ebay intake set up and swap a K & N, either way, those are good and cheap.

Oh wow Cypher! haha didnt know it was u bro. but yeah. i'll hit you up on aim later.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Banned

Default Re: (explictness)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by explictness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, when u put on a intake u can feel the horse power u gain?? it's only like 3 - 6 or 7?? pretty cool idea. for creativity
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I seriously doubt he made 3-6 or even 7 horsepower. Maybe with an AEM, possibly. Still, thats pushing it. SOHC motors are lucky to make even close to 10 horsepower with I/H/E

The stock intake doesn't flow terribly. When you throw together home made intakes, alot of times you will make -less- power.

I'll stand by that, too, unless I see dyno sheets. When I do, I'll show dyno sheets as well. I'm just not in the mood to dig them up right now.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:24 PM

it looks like total *** to me. but who knows, it might gain a total of 0.5 h.p.
im thinking of a better looking way of it.
like by still using the factory airbox. just cut a hole at the bottom of it and a 3.5 to 4 inch diameter hose going from the box to the bottom of the car, getting cold air.
any crappy thoughts from yall? lol
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Default Re: (graveltravel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by graveltravel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im thinking of a better looking way of it. like by still using the factory airbox. just cut a hole at the bottom of it and a 3.5 to 4 inch diameter hose going from the box to the bottom of the car, getting cold air.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Has been done before, you can find pics of that on HT if you search.

By the way, I in no way mean to flame this guy for his efforts. Its definitely cool, and anyone who attemps any DIY project gets respect from me. I just think its important to have realistic expectations.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Re: (Este_Cara)

I will ALWAYS debate that issue with folks. I ran a CAI on my accord in Alabama for over 3 years with no problem. Just don't drive intoa puddle and for the love of god LEAVE YOUR SPLASH GAURDS ON. You'll be fine.

FYI, yeah those hoses flex alot....but I used that **** on my swapped hatchie until a buddy gave me an Ebay special....which I am STILL using.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my DIY CAIS for cheep!!