Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my del sol is ghetto fab, help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my del sol is ghetto fab, help please

so i bought my del sol a while back, and im slowly realizing how ghetto fide everything in it is. it currently has a jdm b16 first gen motor with an integra gsr transmission, last night i was out cruising and one of my two shift linkages snapped in half..i got under and realized whoever did this swap litterally cut the shift linkages in half, brazed in a small section of piping to make it fit the del sol, my question is i need new shift linkages that will go from the del sol to the gsr trans, where can i get them for cheap, or would it be better to just pull my shift linkages out and correctly weld them to the correct length.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: my del sol is ghetto fab, help please

Originally Posted by dragooner00
so i bought my del sol a while back, and im slowly realizing how ghetto fide everything in it is. it currently has a jdm b16 first gen motor with an integra gsr transmission, last night i was out cruising and one of my two shift linkages snapped in half..i got under and realized whoever did this swap litterally cut the shift linkages in half, brazed in a small section of piping to make it fit the del sol, my question is i need new shift linkages that will go from the del sol to the gsr trans, where can i get them for cheap, or would it be better to just pull my shift linkages out and correctly weld them to the correct length.
I hear about people welding the shift linkage quite frequently...not sure of the effectiveness...

Right now...if it's broke...it needs to be fixed so go ahead and weld it...and see how it holds up...if it works...it works...if not...you needed to make it driveable anyways so at the least it breaks again and you're back where you are now.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as I know, the linkage for all b series should be the same. I'm fairly confident when I say you can use b series shift linkage in any applicable chassis (i.e. eg, ek, da, dc, and even del sol). When honda designed the CRX del sol, they put a d-series in it. It doesn't make sense that they would take the shift linkage back to the drawing board just for the del sol chassis. So the linkage from a civic with a d-series should mate right up to a del sol with a d-series. If your car has a b-series in it, then any b-series linkage should work.

Also, keep in mind that those engines are interchangeable. Some civics and del sols came with b-series engines in different markets, if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, the Del Sol is originally referred to as the CRX Del Sol, even though they look nothing alike.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
As far as I know, the linkage for all b series should be the same. I'm fairly confident when I say you can use b series shift linkage in any applicable chassis (i.e. eg, ek, da, dc, and even del sol). When honda designed the CRX del sol, they put a d-series in it. It doesn't make sense that they would take the shift linkage back to the drawing board just for the del sol chassis. So the linkage from a civic with a d-series should mate right up to a del sol with a d-series. If your car has a b-series in it, then any b-series linkage should work.

Also, keep in mind that those engines are interchangeable. Some civics and del sols came with b-series engines in different markets, if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, the Del Sol is originally referred to as the CRX Del Sol, even though they look nothing alike.
do not listen to this guy he is wrong del sol was the only model that had b series specific linkage
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I am wrong, I will gladly admit it. I am trying to learn, myself. What you say doesn't sound wrong at all compared to what I said haha. Again, if I was wrong, my bad.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, del sols use a different B series linkage, I would spend the 100 or so dollars on a new or used one rather than reweld it.. But if you're a good welder by all means have at it; I don't think an experienced welder would ask this type of question.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah...it's not gonna hurt anything to weld it...you'll get a little more use of it if nothing else.

2000FBPITR are they really only 100 new? Dumb question I know but it's not something I've ever had to buy.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i myself am not an experienced welder but i have friends and family who are, so im just wondering if i should put myself through all the trouble of taking it out, getting someone i know to weld it for my, and then put it back in, or if i should just save up a hundred or so and buy new ones, what we had in mind for the weld, was to weld the shift linkages together, then place a pipe over the weld on the shift linkages and weld that to them, hopefully that will strengthen them and prevent another break from occuring
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

beacuse if it breaks again, thats double the work
Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
If I am wrong, I will gladly admit it. I am trying to learn, myself. What you say doesn't sound wrong at all compared to what I said haha. Again, if I was wrong, my bad.
if your not sure. dont post an answer. makes things much nicer around here.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4stagecandy
del sol was the only model that had b series specific linkage
4stagecandy is correct. youll have to source them from a junkyard if your lucky. i wasnt and bought it from the dealer. The stabilizer and shift rod came to 150 sumthing dallors. GL
Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolo95
4stagecandy is correct. youll have to source them from a junkyard if your lucky. i wasnt and bought it from the dealer. The stabilizer and shift rod came to 150 sumthing dallors. GL
my concern when it comes to buying is, what will i need to buy. i have a GSR transmission, but a del sol..and its obviouse by the fact that my shift linkages were poorly welded that normal B series shift linkages will not be adequate...so due to my problem what type of shift linkages should i buy, Integra GSR shift linkages to fit the transmission, or Del sol vtec linkages that are going to be long enough? can anyone awnser this question?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dragooner00
my concern when it comes to buying is, what will i need to buy. i have a GSR transmission, but a del sol..and its obviouse by the fact that my shift linkages were poorly welded that normal B series shift linkages will not be adequate...so due to my problem what type of shift linkages should i buy, Integra GSR shift linkages to fit the transmission, or Del sol vtec linkages that are going to be long enough? can anyone awnser this question?
For you you'd wanna get the Dohc vtec model shift linkage and stabilizer bar. No no on Gsr yada yada.... Again del sol dohc vtec model shift linkage and stabilizer bar doesn't matter what year. Just make sure they give you a dohc vtec sol and NOT a sohc sol. Comprende!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ill make a good note of that, should i end up going the route of purtchasing new shift linkages. for the time being, im going to go the route of pulling them and trying to repair them, but correctly beacuse if its done right im fairly certain that everything will work
Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help guys, im sure their will be many more posts in the winter season from me, as im trying to un- ghetto rig my del sol, beacuse the guy who owned it before me, really just did everything half assed, im basically going to start at the front end of the car and work my way back replacing everything they possibly could have touched when they did the swap, do everything my way and get it all back to where it should be