Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is my dad just an asshole?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my dad just an *******?

Hi im new to this board, seems like alot of really nice people post here. Anyways, ive decided i want to get a low model like 98 civic, like an lx or dx, no vtec engine, cuz it'll be cheap, and then drop a gsr engine in. figureing i can get the car with hella miles on it for like 4k and the engine is 3500 with a transmission. id have to get a new intake and injectors i think, maybe some other stuff but still id have more horsepower than if i bought a stock si. and around here the si and ex models are so popular they avg like 12-14k even if they have alot of miles. But, my dad, who knows alot more about cars than me, says im gonna end up spending like 8 grand just to get the engine to work right in my car. Hes just totally negative and says im a dumbass, is he jsut being an *** or is he right?
Old 06-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (ExpiredFaith)

My engine swap (b18b) was a total of 2900 (with everything...all said and done) thats running perfect with no codes. You should be able to do it for around 3-3.5k if you have are using a hydro clutch. Good luck!!

-Jake
Old 06-08-2002, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (SuperHatch)

Thx for the encouragment! first ive gotten hehe.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Say you do get a 98 EX for 4k. The complete 96-98 GSR swap is about 3500. From there you'll need 99-00 Si mounts which you can probably source on here somewhere, and then do some basic wiring to make the VTEC work. From there it's just coolant, oil, and filters. Get it running, then throw on intake, exhaust etc...
Old 06-08-2002, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I partly agree with your Dad because although the swap would be a minimal cost...any add-ons, (intake, header, exhaust) and other stuff would eventually add up. But that's where the fun begin, especially when you feel/realize the change in power/performance on whatever you're installing. You can always buy an already built car maybe $7K...you should be able to find a decent one for that price.
Old 06-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (EF_LSVtec)

tell your dad to talk to the buddies over at hasport
Old 06-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (OptimusPrimeX)

tell your dad to talk to the buddies over at hasport
Old 06-09-2002, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (ixiblindixi)

A '98? Isn't this the EF forum??? No offense bro...us 88-91 people are all very easy to get along with and we'll help you with what you want to ask about this...but I'm sure you could get more specific help in the EK forum...but as far as everyone else has said...they're right...and to quote another post from someone else..."It'll always cost twice as much and take twice as long to do it right"
Old 06-09-2002, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (PSUCRX)

your talking about a b18c not a b18c5 right b/c the b18c5 is a waste of money,(don't flame me b/c im right)
Old 06-09-2002, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (spy54)

b18c5 is a very well built motor, it's not a waste, just a matter of how much you can afford, and what your goals are on the car.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (Accord92sir)

b18c5 is a very well built motor, it's not a waste, just a matter of how much you can afford, and what your goals are on the car.
true. isn't a waste, but most likely someone would probably rather build a standard gs-r b18c because they plan on building the whole motor anyways, so there is no point in getting an itr motor. but i agree with what was said.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:55 AM
El Veterano de Sur Califas

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (poison)

yup! what poison said
manny
Old 06-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude..cut yer dad some slack. i don't blame him to be weary about the cost of motor swaps..will you guys be doing all the work yourselves? if your in the cali area, i saw a NICE car for sale in the classifieds..94 dx hatchback check him out.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:36 AM
New User

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (SuperCivic)

I was watching the speed channel and i think Jay Leno said it best when he said "my father just couldnt understand why in the hell i would want to buy an old pos car when i could just get a new one, he never understood that concept" . I think the thing for you to do is figure out the math, get the cash together yourself and go into the risk, because indeed this is what its all about, its about taking a risk, because if you dont know what your doing or have an idea but have never done a swap before its really what it feels like, there so much info on the net but what is really reliable and what is not? all these things went through my head when i did my sohc zc swap, granted it was waaay easier than any b series swap but same concept. My advice to you is, if your gettin too much heat from the old man, then save up your money and do it yourself, it could be a great learning experience be it good or bad. And ease up on your old man, hes just looking out for your best interest.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (Jared)

Say you do get a 98 EX for 4k.
You can get them for that low?!?
Old 06-10-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (technine)

You can get them for that low?!?
Yup
Old 06-10-2002, 01:16 PM

your wallet or your dad's? your wallet, he's not supporting you. his wallet, he is tired of supporting you. JOB JOB JOB. this gets expensive. just save your money and maybe he'll see you're serious and be more apt to help you out ? good luck.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:52 PM

heh all my money, hes not playing any part in it, just likes to tell me what i cant do. and i wasnt going for an ex, i was going for a dx or lx, why pay the extra for the vtec engine if im swapping it anyway.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 PM

Well I got my swap and now I have to rebuild because I was lied to about the previous mileage it had on it.

So I need a head set, new clutch, timing belt, water pump, third gear syncro replaced, all the fluids and liquids, torque wrench and numerous hours in the garage.

It adds up but hopefully when Im done this weekend its worth it.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (VTEC CX)

You should research more, and actually print up some information about what you would like to do, and print up some information that show how much others have spent and what they have done, similar to the setup you would like to do. Once you have all the information, and pricing, etc.; make a little packet for your father, give it to him, and let him read it.. If he is not convinced by then, sorry dude.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (1 FAST R)

if it's your money than do it. my old man ain't too cool. at least you are'nt out messing up his car on his dollar. maybe he's afraid you'll get hurt? hell, a car can't hurt you near as bad as a woman. actually though , be safe... but fast
Old 06-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (mr. carpenter)

Well,do your research first,make sure you know what you getting into beforeyou fork over the cash and it shouldnt be too much money.Hope it works out.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:34 AM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (aeolus)

If it's your money, you should do whatever with it. But cut your old man some slack, he's just looking out. I'm not sure if you can find a 98 EX for $4000, try getting a 96 LX, you'll have a better chance.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (GapxGuy)

If you're paying, do it. My parentd used to bitch about what I did to my car when I started in the Honda racing world. What else am I gonna do with my money, save it? Ya right. At my age I save very little money. I make enough to pay my bills and have a little left over. I'm slowy building my car, but it's coming along.

What I buy for my car is what I consider as my reward for working so hard. I bust *** at work to make money and I'm gonna enjoy life with the money I make. I'll eventually save, but for now.....let's see how fast we can go.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Is my dad just an *******? (buster13)

no

Quick Reply: Is my dad just an asshole?