Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline

Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline

This swap wasn't too difficult. Although their where some diffrences that people never stated elsewhere ... like the distributor plug ( i believe the power and gnd plug (it's the 2wire dist plug)) would not go in and i had to take some meat out of hte middle of the plug so it would plug in , also the throttle bracket's being diffrent .. no one mentioned or stated that to me before . But these where all just common sense diffrences that you can tell by looking at. The best piece of advice i can give to anybody that has a cx and is swaping this in (assuming you are using the stock harness) is to not get the EGR and IAT plug's confused. since they will fit in either location and look fairly similar .
The swap: 94 civic cx , bone stock , stock harness jdm d15b , p08 ecu , p20 lsd transmission , stock everything else .

The swap overall went fairly smooth ... except for the dist .... the advance and coil where shot and it did not sound to well while i was turning it by hand .... (bearings going out ) will the Z6 dist work on the jdm d15b ? I was told by some that it would not and that the key's are diffrent. Their is also a slight ding in my oil pan ... i was told that this was nothing and wouldn't bother the oil pickup much (if any at all)

Runs strong ... and sounds great , besides the distributor problem i had their was nothing wrong with the engine ... and i wouldn't really look at that as a problem that can be blamed on the importer(seeing as things like these go bad when they sit a while and i recieved the engine on dec the 22nd and we didn't start on the swap until monday and we didn't finish until yesterday).The transmission also seems to be in excellent condition. A big for hmotors
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job man! Love it!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline (ieldib)

Cool....so how do you like it so far performance wise in the CX chassis?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline (civicgsir)

Thanks , it is a huge diffrence ... you can be in any gear now and have passing power the car sounds so much better and for some reason after the swap my steering feels alot tighter. the only work i've done in it since then is my conical filter install , instead of the stock airbox ... and you can hear this thing switching over (although not as radical as a bseries switchover it is still audible) considering the stock car is rated at 70hp and the jdm d15b is rated at 130ps(around 128hp) you can literally feel a 100% diffrence .My stock mounts where in relatively good condition and i don't experience much wheelhop for some reason ... i thought this would not be ... I guess i was wrong ( i guess the stock d15b8 didn't make enough power to move the mounts around anyway ) I would recommend this swap to anybody with a CX or HF powered car (EF) or anybody with a blown or tired D series that needs changing ... VERY worthy and inexpensive swap.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what made you get that swap? i would have LEAST saved a bit more and got a b18b!

anyhow have fun with it
Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKhatch219)

they are cheaper than a b18, it has an LSD tranny, and not everyone wants a b-series
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are cheaper than a b18, it has an LSD tranny, and not everyone wants a b-series </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree 100%. This D15 VTEC isn't anything to sneeze at. They're pretty good little motors.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline (ieldib)

good job...i love the d series
Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline (Burns)

I think it came out great.

I too have a 92 CX witht he 70HP D15....

I may be looking into this swap sometime soon.

I have a question though? When you used to (if you even have) rev the old engine up in your CX and dump the clutch will it just hop around? When i rev mine up about to burnout the car just hops like crazy...it sucks...What does this mean? The mounts? The clutch SLOWLY grasping?

So you can rev it and pop the clutch and smoothly spin out now? Thats awesome if so because my car is just slow

And how about chirping gears? Did the old D15 chirp? Mine doesnt....how about the Vtec one?

Let me know... Later
Old 02-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline (Hatch It)

well what your experiencing is wheel hop, to stop this get some traction bars and new polymounts for the engine , Chirping has a lot to do with the clutch you are using, if you have a stock clutch fat chance but if you had a race clutch you could chirp 3rd and 4th maybe
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: (EKhatch219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhatch219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what made you get that swap? i would have LEAST saved a bit more and got a b18b!

anyhow have fun with it</TD></TR></TABLE> A OBD-I LS swap would have costed considerably more and required some more parts ..... not too mention the extra weight added by the ls swap would have offset the 11hp diffrence (imho) and it would have been geared crappier and would not have a lsd. i believe this is a much wiser choice imho. And thanks for all the positive comments everybody.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline (Hatch It)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it came out great.

I too have a 92 CX witht he 70HP D15....

I may be looking into this swap sometime soon.

I have a question though? When you used to (if you even have) rev the old engine up in your CX and dump the clutch will it just hop around? When i rev mine up about to burnout the car just hops like crazy...it sucks...What does this mean? The mounts? The clutch SLOWLY grasping?

So you can rev it and pop the clutch and smoothly spin out now? Thats awesome if so because my car is just slow

And how about chirping gears? Did the old D15 chirp? Mine doesnt....how about the Vtec one?

Let me know... Later</TD></TR></TABLE> The old D15b8 (CX engine) was a worthless piece of crap it wouldn't even chirp 1st gear from a dead stop ... and it was very abundant on wheelhop and tourque steer. Yes i can dump the clutch and it will just spin the tires now ... and when i slam it into 2nd it will continue spining briefly and chirp 3rd gear . The old engine could never do this .. even when it was wet .. i don't think it would have even had a chance or willingness to chirp 2nd gear.All this wheel hop is probalby due to the stock engines low output (it's not making enough power to accelerate enough to get the car going so all it does is shake around in the engine bay and cause all kinds of wheel hop and tourque steer). Like i mentioned before the car feels like it is alive now. I think you too should definetely consider this swap especially if you do not have alot of money or do not have a very high income. If you have any more questions feel free to reply/instant message/email me .

Modified by ieldib at 2:09 PM 2/2/2005
Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How was wiring up the 4 wire oxygen sensor ?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (Jmunk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jmunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How was wiring up the 4 wire oxygen sensor ?</TD></TR></TABLE> 4 wire what ? the jdm d15b vtec makes use of the 1wire 02 sensor just like the CX , if you do not believe me check the picture ... that is the stock CX manifold+cat with the stock cx 1wire 02 sensor mounted in it.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

so did your jdm d15b come with a lsd tranny? im confused to all the jdm d15b's come with lsd trannys or just some?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so did your jdm d15b come with a lsd tranny? im confused to all the jdm d15b's come with lsd trannys or just some?</TD></TR></TABLE> only some did(it was optional) , even some of the automatics did to my amazement I went ahead and ordered my d15b and ecu from hmotorsonline since they didn't have any transmissions or lsd transmissions in stock , so i called back a week later and reserved a lsd transmission (paid in full ofcourse) . Then recieved it about a week after i got my engine They shipped it out before new years i believe but it didn't get here till like the 3rd or 4th of january because of shipping ... these guys work fast . *EDIT* I'd like to thank eg6ajk for posting alot of this information https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=585043&page=1 his thread really has cleared up alot questions to my answers prior to this . This guy really deserves a pat on the back. It goes to show far you can go from n00b to a accomplishing/knowledgable individual with the Search button . ( i now have a fetish for honda-tech's search button )
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (ieldib)

I would also like to ask the mod's if their is anyway we can get all this D15B info posted up in the FAQ thread , or as a Sticky. Since i usually see alot of threads in the EG forum about this subject.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ieldib)

If you don't mind me asking... how much did you end up paying for the complete changeover? And what all did you have to buy to make it work?

I am thinking about throwing one of these in my commuter car (92' VX Hatch) because the engine is getting really tired and sluggish...

If it's cheap enough I might as well...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

i was looking at hmotorsonline and they had it for 495 i think for a complete changeover + shipping
Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

You can also use the d15z1 VX distributor if you need it. I sold mine recently to someone who had tha same problem with theirs and it bolted right up. Send "dcsports" or "greddy si" a pm they are parting out a vx motor.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

i was just about to go with a d15b.. but 1.5 liters.. sohc... it just does'nt have a future for someone thats into honda's as much as me. Went with a ls longblock for 400,
Old 02-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

incase no one answered this,
the z6 distributor will work perfect onthe d15b,
should plug/bolt right up,

the d15b head IS a z6 head, so no problems there.

i'm using a z6 dizzy on my d15b

how much did that lsd tranny run you??
Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOLY Clean your engine bay batman..

Just messing.. clean swap

Old 02-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (Jimmy)

is this the 3 stage vtec motor or that motor realli rare?? I remember reading bout a 3 stage vtec D15, but i don't know much about D15s and i want to find out more so i can get one.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhatch219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what made you get that swap? i would have LEAST saved a bit more and got a b18b!

anyhow have fun with it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets not turn this into a d vs b war.....the motor is great and its not a push over.I love the way it moves and i might even turbo it down the road but for now and im glad i got this motor because the cx engine was dog slow and that tranny sucked to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My D15B swap - Thank you Hmotorsonline