Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is this my clutch or what??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this my clutch or what?? (UPDATED)

Ok....I've searched for hours and before I rip my tranny apart I wanna be sure.

I have a D15B VTEC with less than 50k on the motor and trans. I was stuck in traffic the other ay and all of a sudden my trans starts acting weird. I feel like it wont grab and it gets harder and harder to shift gears.

As I try to get home the pedal feels weird some of the time and I'm getting wheel hop. I get home and 90% of the time I cant get it in gear while running. It shift fine hile it's off though.

I've checked the axles and they're both locked in. My clutch fork is tight with no play. I have no leaks from the slave or clutch master cylinders. When I press the clutch the fork moves about an inch (is that enough?). And the master makes a kindof a squeek noise.

My question for yall is did my slave or clutch master go bad?? Or is my clutch, bearing, pressure plate shot??

Keep in mind this is not a gradual thing it just happened all of a sudden. My pedal feels fine but I dont wanna remove the tranny if I dont have to. Any suggestions?

Modified by Bejita at 3:35 PM 8/27/2007
Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading the forums, but I can no longer use my old user name.

I ran into your post and the problem is exactly like mine.

It all started with the wheels hopping in first gear, and the clutch seems to grab as soon as you let go of the pedal, so I keep driving like this. It's getting hard to shift at this point, and I almost have to force it in.

4 weeks later, I'm still driving this thing. I go and check the hydralic fluid and it looks dirty as hell, and it's at the MIN level. I add some DOT3 fluid, and the problem is FIXED, for the time being, but it still acts up once in a while.

2 weeks later, I go and get ALL fluids bled and flushed. I can now shift in low RPMs, but I cannot shift as fast in high RPMs. Overall, this sorta fixed everything and I can sorta drive normally.

Last week, I am driving and I noticed that I cannot shift out of gear, and I cannot put it in gear. It happens on and off, and I start to worry at this point. As soon as I attempt to put it in gear, the car would move forward, everytime I try to shove it. NO GEARS WORK and I cannot get the shifter in. I'm on the expressway so I need to get the @#$% out of here. I turn off the car to put it in gear and move slowly.

While in gear, I push the clutch pedal in, and the car keeps moving!! The RPMs wil not drop, and the shifter is STUCK. Im like, oh shiittt!!!

The engine is a 2000 b16a2, with a clutch master cylinder from a 2000 d16y8; the car is a 2000 civic ex. So, to make the ever-so-long story short, I got it towed and replaced the clutch, clutch master cylinder, and slave cylinder.

I did not see any leaks, but I replaced both parts and the clutch kit/bearing/resurface fly anyway. They're both 7 years old.

Currently, I am driving smooooooth and slowly breaking in the clutch. I hope you can solve yours by replacing the clutch; mine was at least, 100k on the clutch.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:50 PM

See thats the thing. Hmotors said the motor had less than 40k on it so I dont wanna replace all that crap if I dont have to.

My fluid is pretty dirty so maybe the Clutch MC is bad. I'm going to attack that first and pray thats the problem. As far as I know it's the origional one and has never been changd in the 214k miles that are on the chasis.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:54 PM

Yup. Start out with the simple fixes, such as the CMC and possibly, slave cylinder, since it would probably be best if they were changed at the same time. My fluid looked like grey metal paste; it was awful.

I changed the clutch because the engine came with 60k miles, and I have 97k, so it justifies for the next 3-5 years.

Also, the engine may have 40k miles, but that doesnt mean that the clutch was babied and taken care of. Good Luck
Old 08-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Bejita)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">See thats the thing. Hmotors said the motor had less than 40k on it so I dont wanna replace all that crap if I dont have to.

My fluid is pretty dirty so maybe the Clutch MC is bad. I'm going to attack that first and pray thats the problem. As far as I know it's the origional one and has never been changd in the 214k miles that are on the chasis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...check the MC before you change a clutch, dude. Diagnose before buying parts.

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. Make sure it's not low. If it is, you have to find and fix whatever leak is occuring. It might be time to invest in new master and slave cylinders maybe. Or maybe its just the lines that are leaking or something. If a fix is needed, then fix it (duh) and bleed it. That will take care of your problem 95% of the time.

Your problem may stem from a bad clutch. If the springs are worn out (there's 3 different types of springs on there....it could be any of them), then you could have similar issues. But start with the cheap and sleazy first. Then move on to bigger things like replacing a clutch.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the replies.....I'll see if changing the MC does anything.

BTW....How far should the shifter fork move when the clutch is pressed in?? Mine only moves about an inch.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Changed the MC and Slave and it didnt do ****. So i pulled the trans and right away a piece of the clutch fell out lol. A piece that goes arround one of the springs busted off and the throwout bearing wasnt in the best shape......Everything is installed and works great. Thanks to those who helped.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (Bejita)

Cool. I also had a "tab" thing break off, and the clutch material was gouged! We pretty much had the similar problem, and your CMC is now good for the next few years.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 AM
* B A N N E D *

sorry to say dude i had this problem and my car wouldn't move the clutch got stuck in and it would spring back till i came to a stop etc etc

any who point being its the clutch ...just change it and you will be fine
Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM

Yep I just replaced the clutch in my Neon from the same thing. Spring broke loose at the track and the clutch was all torn apart. Glad to see you've got it fixed!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM

Ok well this sucks - lol

Im having the same problems and Im still hoping that replacing the cly. will help but from the sounds of it Ill be replacing the clutch.

The only difference with mine is that if I let off the clutch pedal the car will not try to stall out, instead it will roll forward even with out pressing the gas at all.

I bleed the lines already and that didint work.