Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is my clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing going out?

I'm hearing a scraping noise when I let the clutch out. If I keep the rpms low and let the clutch out slowly, it engages fine and I don't hear any noise. If I up the rpms to about 2k or so, and let the clutch out (not aggressively, just like normal take off from a stop light) I hear this scraping noise during the pedal travel and after that it sounds ok. I hear it the same when I'm reversing too.

I thought it was loose exhaust bolts at first cuz it sounds almost exactly the same as the very fast paced rattle that loose exhaust bolts will make. Someone told me that they think it's my clutch or flywheel glazing over, but I've never heard of that. I don't mind replacing (upgrading) it, but I'm not really into spending $500 to fix something that is still broke.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

JDM GSR with a B16 LSD in a 92 EH2.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is my clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing going out? (beoy9)

Sounds more like an input shaft bearing.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing going out? (sageuvagony)

What the hell is that? Obviously it's some kind of bearing in or around the tranny, and that would make sense. I mean, it doesn't feel like the clutch is going out, ya know? I'm not slipping and having to rev really high to get the thing to go. It's good and grippy. I lost the clutch in my 92 camaro so I know what it feels like.

The noise to me sounds like it could be a bearing.

Where is that blasted thing? Anyway to tell without dropping the trans?

Thanks
Zak
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be alot of things. I had that same problem and though it was my throw out bearing so i changed my clutch but it wasnt it. I was my tranny. I took it off and noticed alot of metal shavings in the hole where the shafts go (maybe input shaft). bottom line was i Just got another tranny and problem was fixed. I got a quote to rebuild and they wanted 1300 for the rebuild. Just FYI
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing going out? (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds more like an input shaft bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. I had the same problem with my old car.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds alot like your throwout bearing jus drop your tranny get a new Throwout bearing there not that much doe alot less than a hole tranny and while its off check your input shaft bearin, your discs, flywheel(for heat marks), and of course la transmission for metal shavings hope i helped
Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were to find metal shavings, what would that mean?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your gears are grinding away time for new tranny or rebuild i really dont think its that bad tho to test to see if its your throw out bearing when you hear the noise push the clutch down then let it go normally if the noise goes away than its you TOB but if its still there it could be anything inside your clutch i dought you have bad gears cuz you say your gears still pull and shift fine its just the noise so ya jus take it out and check everything
Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its alot of guess and check wit clutches by boys car just wouldnt go into gear one day we thought it was everything possible ended up being 2 loose pressure plate bolts torqued them wit some arp ish there and its been good since who kno
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleepyHatchZ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepyHatchZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your gears are grinding away, time for new tranny or rebuild. i really dont think its that bad tho. to test to see if its your throw out bearing, when you hear the noise push the clutch down then let it go normally, if the noise goes away than its you TOB but if its still there it could be anything inside your clutch. i dought you have bad gears cuz you say your gears still pull and shift fine its just the noise. so ya jus take it out and check everything</TD></TR></TABLE>

Punctuation is your friend.

After dissecting what you wrote, it made sense. I think my gears are fine as the noise goes away when ever the car is in gear. It only happens when I let the clutch out. I went outside just now and was backing up out of my parking space and was riding the clutch a bit as I did and heard the same noise, but it was repetitive and circular sounding... if that makes sense. Kind of like when your brakes are going out, they make the scraping sound that you can tell is moving in a circle. Like that, but quieter. I'm going to pull the trans this weekend and inspect everything. Time to break out the helms.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the input shaft bearing the flywheel bearing? My helms manual doesn't have an input shaft bearing listed anywhere.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up for the weekend crowd
Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (beoy9)

Input shaft bearing unfortunately is inside the tranny, located on the Input shaft. It is usually the ISB when you hear noise when you let off the clutch (engage). Best test would be to just leave the car in neutal and maybe rev it a little. All this while leaving the clutch alone (Not pushed in at all)

If it only happens when you are slowly letting off the clutch, then... err I dunno..

If it's the throwout bearing then you would hear the noise when you are disengaging the clutch (pushing in the pedal)

The bearing on the flywheel is called the Pilot Bearing.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried another test. I put the car in 5th gear and then started to move on my level driveway. Now when you're starting from 5th you have to slip the clutch so you don't bog out and kill the car. When doing this, the noise is constant. I had my neighbor who works at the local acura dealership as a mechanic listen to it and he thinks it's the throwout bearing.

Guess I'll start there. I'll update this thread for posterity when/if I get it fixed.