Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My civic isn't starting please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My civic isn't starting please help

Ok so I am installing a dc-dc converter in my civic. I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working like it was supposed to, when I realized that I had the starter wire and battery wire crossed. So I rewired them the way they were supposed to be. Let me just say on the DC converter the battery wire is red and the starter wire is yellow(now you get why I had them crossed). Anyways when I went to start the car it wouldn't start and acted like the battery was dead. So I check the voltage at the battery it was good. Then the starter it was also good then I went to turn the key to the first click before the starter comes on, and everything worked like normal but then when I went to turn the key all the way it made a chhh sound and died again. So I did the same thing and It wouldn't do anything then after a couple minutes the dome light came back on and again the same thing I checked all my fuses and had two blown one was the radio the other I don't know what it was. Anyhelp is greatly apreciated.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My civic isn't starting please help (AJWatUC)

you need 2 people to do this so get a buddy.

Have him sit in the car turn the key "on" where the fuel pump and all kicks on. so 2nd click?

Use a test lighthook the clip to the Neg batt. Terminal.
There are 2 spots your going to check.
1st the Pos cable from the batt. to the starter. Touch the bolt head the test light should lite up. If yes that means you have power to the starter. If no check the ground on your test light then if no still you have a problem

2nd
The spade connector( stereo looking connector) on the starter. When you turn your key forward to start the car the relay closes and send the power tot he starter solenoid through that wire. So
you put the test light on that connector while connected to the starter. Have your buddy crank the car. If that test light lites up. Then you need a starter because you probably cooked it. YOu can take it to autozone and test it. or you can take jumper cables and test it yourself outside of the car.
If is doesnt then you need to back track from there to the relay, fuses, key switch ect.

Hope that helps
Old 07-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My civic isn't starting please help (robbieshonda)

robbie thanks for the reply but my car wouldn't crank as soon as I would turn the key to crank all the power would go out and it would act like the battery was dead. I let it sit and went to a grill out came back and now its acting like the battery is dead. Again I checked the voltage at my battery and its good at my starter good fuses are good. Maybe my alt is bad? But doesn't seem like that would be it. I'm dumb founded?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe the ignition the switch? The wire I tapped into was going directly to the ignition switch
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ignition switch?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM

it sounds like your alternator get that out of the car and get it tested. my cars doing that im just waiting for my check to get a new one. heres another way to test this out. turn your head lights on and watch the gauges, now turn your ignition and watch if the lights dim out if they do then its your alternator. if your still getting power then your battery has some charge to it still
Old 07-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AJWatUC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">robbie thanks for the reply but my car wouldn't crank as soon as I would turn the key to crank all the power would go out and it would act like the battery was dead. I let it sit and went to a grill out came back and now its acting like the battery is dead. Again I checked the voltage at my battery and its good at my starter good fuses are good. Maybe my alt is bad? But doesn't seem like that would be it. I'm dumb founded?</TD></TR></TABLE>

BUMP.. this just happened to me this morning.. drove a different car to work, trying to figure out things to test when I get home.

car acts like battery is dead but battery is fine. Main relay maybe?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My civic isn't starting please help (MADEINIRAQ)

If this happens to anyone else.. It was my battery connections. they were corroded the slightest bit. Cleaned it and its all good.