Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My civic is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My civic is dead?

So my civic broke down on the way to work yesterday. It just lost power when I was driving down the freeway. So I thought maybe a fuel problem? Its getting fuel. So I checked to see if it is getting spark, I pulled out a spark plug and plugged it back into the wire, then turned it over, its not getting any spark. So Im thinking possibly one of two things? possibly a bad distributor? or maybe the ecu is fucked up? anyone know how to test the distributor or ecu? or have any other suggestions?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: My civic is dead? (DetroitPOScivic)

Do you have a CEL or anything? How old are your plugs?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:52 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open the distributor cap check to see if everythings okay over there. sounds like it could be a timing belt possibly. dont jump to the ecu yet. there are a bunch of other things to check out.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:06 AM

hey my neighbor had the same problem, take off your timing belt cover and have someone crank the car over and see if your timing belt moves, my neighbors car got fuel but no spark so we checked his timing belt and everytime he would crank the car over his belt wouldn't spin so just check that but keep us posted so if others have this problem they can fix it
Old 06-02-2004, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My civic is dead? (team703)

check the cap first. 9/10 times the cap gets some rust or carbon build up, and you just need a new cap, or rotor.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My civic is dead? (cccya)

of course check the easiest things first. im starting to believe more its your timing belt.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:33 AM

yeah i was thinking it may be the timing belt, im gonna pull the valve cover off tonight and check that out... thanks for all the replies
Old 06-02-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: My civic is dead? (Brandon EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brandon EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a CEL or anything? How old are your plugs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

can you check for cel codes even though it wont start? i was under the impression your car has to be running to pull the code? if not ill try that... Im sure the plugs are pretty old, my brother gave me this civic a few weeks ago because my other car was stolen, and I doubt he even did any basic maintenance on it. Its a 95 DX with 155,000 miles... I am pretty sure the timing belt has never been replaced either so that may be a possibilty...
Old 06-02-2004, 04:46 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

you can check the codes without it running.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:19 PM

you guys were right, timing belt was snapped, pulled the valve cover and timing belt cover, timing belt was broke... what are the chances of bent valves? any way to check without pulling the head?

ps. anyone nearby detroit that wants to help me fix it? I just moved here so I dont know anyone yet, I dont have much money, but I can buy parts, tools needed and a case of your favorite beer and food, and can also pay someone $100 on top of that for helping me, I dont want to take it into a shop if possible....
Old 06-02-2004, 05:48 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DetroitPOScivic)

spin the crank while pumping air into the cylinder to complete a full rotation (full opening and closing of all intake and exhaut valves) there should be air coming out the intake thene xhaust then nothing. you must complete a while stroke and make sure air stops coming out. if air is coming out from either thats teh valves that have been bent.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (IVI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spin the crank while pumping air into the cylinder to complete a full rotation (full opening and closing of all intake and exhaut valves) there should be air coming out the intake thene xhaust then nothing. you must complete a while stroke and make sure air stops coming out. if air is coming out from either thats teh valves that have been bent.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How exactly would one pump air ino the cylinder? Get like a bike pump or a air nossle hooked to a air compressor and shoot it in?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,
When asking for help please give some info on your car..... like year, model, and what engine is in the car. PLEEZE.

If you've got a 90's single cam engine in the car, then you can just put a new belt on. Twin cammed engines usually bend valves because of their more aggressive cam timing.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:09 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

compression tester fitting that screws into where the spark plug goes.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DetroitPOScivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ps. anyone nearby detroit that wants to help me fix it? I just moved here so I dont know anyone yet, I dont have much money, but I can buy parts, tools needed and a case of your favorite beer and food, and can also pay someone $100 on top of that for helping me, I dont want to take it into a shop if possible....</TD></TR></TABLE>

detroit anyone? haha I dont have many tools here I had to leave them behind when I moved here, Im gonna either go buy a compression tester or take it in somewhere to get the compression tested...

oh by the way 95 dx, sohc economy engine.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude if your t-belt snapped don't even bother doing a compression check on it i would go ahead and lift the head of the block off and look for indents in teh top of the pistons and send the head to the machine shop to make sure nothing is fucked up. or yank that motor and do a swap good excuse to do it
Old 06-03-2004, 04:42 AM

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

I would but, i really dont have the time to do all that i need to get it fixed asap so I can get to work, I was planning on selling it in a few weeks anyways before that happened. And as far as a swap I really dont want to put any money into it, its just a beater car to drive to work till i get something nicer...
Old 06-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much $$ would you want for it if you were to sell it?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much $$ would you want for it if you were to sell it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was gonna sell it for $2000 before the timing belt broke, its in good condition other than the timing belt problem now, its dropped on some gunmetal 17" wheels with new tires, nothing special, and an aem intake, other than that its all stock, like i say it was just a daily driver so I didnt really put any money into it... oh and its dark blue in color also a 2 door.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:15 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

just get a new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and replece them. if its a sohc you probably didnt bend any valves. replace it and see. or just get the timing belt its like 40 bucks.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:49 AM

i dont think im gonna replace the water pump, I know its probabaly a good idea to do, but I dont really have the extra cash right now, and I dont plan on keeping it too long anyways, and havent had any problems with it over heating.... is it nessecary to replace the tension when chaning a timing belt?
Old 06-04-2004, 07:57 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

its not NESSECARY, but its a good rule of thumb to follow to change everything at once to avoid future problems. it would be a good courtesy to change it so the next owner doesnt have to worry about it. its expensive to take care of a problem like that so its good to replace them all in one go, its cheaper.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">compression tester fitting that screws into where the spark plug goes.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you do a compression test with a broken timing belt? since none of the valves will be opening or closing because the cams not turning?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:18 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DetroitPOScivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

can you do a compression test with a broken timing belt? since none of the valves will be opening or closing because the cams not turning?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no. valves might be on the open position.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

changing the timing belt can be a major pain
cuz you have to take off the crank pulley bolt,
and it can be quite... well lets just say.. STUBBORN

once thats off its no biggie though.
i'd recommend just saving yourself the hassle,
find a shop that'll loosen the bolt for you the cheapest.

you might find a place that'll do it for free, look around.
go when they're not busy.

I had to go to the closest place to me..
so ended up shelling out 45bucks for one bolts...

bastards..

Quick Reply: My civic is dead?