Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car wont go into gear and Ive tried about everything...Need car for work ASAP, please help....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car wont go into gear and Ive tried about everything...Need car for work ASAP, please help....

Well as topic says, my car wont go into gear. Its a 94 EG with a 2000 GSR B18C1 motor and tranny. Last week the clutch was slipping REAL bad and wouldnt go into gear. So I changed the master AND clutch cylinder, still continued to do the same. So today I install a new Exedy organic clutch and pressure plate...set her up, good to go right? WRONG. I drive it home, its fine, but 5 miles later at a red light, the car wouldnt go into 1st or any other gear. So here I am in traffic, ?I turn the car off and force it into 1st to at least get home....the tranny then shifted so I got home. But then I get home and it wont shift into gears again. WTF can it be? Someone help, ive tried EVERYTHING, and I have had the shittiest week.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My car wont go into gear and Ive tried about everything...Need car for work ASAP, please help...

check the tranny fluid?? does the fork and bearing move freely when you put in the clutch plate?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:36 PM

yes, fork and bearing move...clutch engages and disengages as well....Im thinking maybe tranny fluid but I dont know...these symptoms occur when the car is warm not when cold.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:54 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

how is your clutch master cylinder fluid? could have a hole in a line and be leaking fluid / losing pressure. that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetwizeRacin2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetwizeRacin2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, fork and bearing move...clutch engages and disengages as well....Im thinking maybe tranny fluid but I dont know...these symptoms occur when the car is warm not when cold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the clutch disengages.. then shouldn't the gears go in fine? did you drain and refill the clutch fluids, and the tranny fluid when you swapped the clutch plate? it really sounds like a tranny fluid problem.. flush it, and try it again. then repost.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redlinetuning)

my tranny never went in ne gears either til i put in tranny fluid ! If that dont work i duno what to tell ya !
Old 01-23-2004, 03:10 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (rw92civic)

did you bleed the system good when you put a new clutch MC and slave cylinder on? you could of gotten a faulty unit...it happens
Old 01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: My car wont go into gear and Ive tried about everything...Need car for work ASAP, please help...

Try bleeding your fluid again... sounds like it could be a slave cylinder problem too.... all i can say is tranny problems suck, good luck.

When your car was standing still, and u were trying to push it into 1st gear, did it feel like the car moved forwards a little bit even if it didnt go into gear?

Old 01-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KURRRWA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try bleeding your fluid again... sounds like it could be a slave cylinder problem too.... all i can say is tranny problems suck, good luck.

When your car was standing still, and u were trying to push it into 1st gear, did it feel like the car moved forwards a little bit even if it didnt go into gear?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is kinda OT here, but my car is doing the exact same thing except one day it barely went into gear, then didnt go into gear at all, and then 6 hours later did and I've been driving now for a week with no problems.
KURRRWA, when trying to put my car in gear it was rolling forward. What does that mean?
Old 01-23-2004, 04:49 PM
crazy eyez killa

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
KURRRWA, when trying to put my car in gear it was rolling forward. What does that mean? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It means your clutch isn't engaging far enough, you either have air in your hydraulic clutch line or you have a funky slave cylinder, or else i dont know

Old 01-23-2004, 04:52 PM

i wnet through 7 bad slaves before i got a good one
Old 01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
mike93eh

get a new honda oem slave and clutch MC. bleed it properly and your problem is fixed.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:39 PM

I changed the slave and master cylinder, I got them at Bennet Auto..they seem fine, I did those then it still did it, so i put the Exedy in......so tonight i went out, i couldnt reach my drain plug and i dont have my tools at my house anyways, but i took the 17mm fill socket off, stuck in my finger, it was wet (no pun here)...but I couldnt feel an actual accumulation or "puddle" of tranny fluid, shouldnt it be sitting almost up to the fill bolt? I guess Im gona go drain it monday and get some Honda MTF
Old 01-25-2004, 03:09 AM

ttt
Old 01-25-2004, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried pulling the boot back on the slave and making sure the piston is moving when engage the clutch? sounds like a hyd. problem
Old 01-25-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (rw92civic)

was the trans whinning before you did any of this work. It could have been going. Also, did it ever just kick out of gear?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:02 AM

same stuff happened to me. The way I drove with the problem was to start the car in first gear, and if the car moves foward... turn it off and try again after you play around with going into each gear. You will know when it's is okay when your car starts up with no jumping foward.

I did that for awhile but then later swap out my clutch assembely for an exedy clutch, pressure and throw out bearing. I looked closely at my throw out bearing and noticed that the sucker was bent where the two prongs attach to the shift fork. I could have bent them back, but I didnt want the problem to resurface.

My suggestion to you is try and drive with it with my method or just pull the clutch assembely to inspect everything... do this only after you manually check that your shift fork is moving freely when you step on the clutch. Have a friend help you when check to see if it is moving.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Von Dutch)

same <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Von Dutch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same stuff happened to me. The way I drove with the problem was to start the car in first gear, and if the car moves foward... turn it off and try again after you play around with going into each gear. You will know when it's is okay when your car starts up with no jumping foward.

I did that for awhile but then later swap out my clutch assembely for an exedy clutch, pressure and throw out bearing. I looked closely at my throw out bearing and noticed that the sucker was bent where the two prongs attach to the shift fork. I could have bent them back, but I didnt want the problem to resurface.

My suggestion to you is try and drive with it with my method or just pull the clutch assembely to inspect everything... do this only after you manually check that your shift fork is moving freely when you step on the clutch. Have a friend help you when check to see if it is moving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same problem with me getting into gear just last week, pulled the tranny, unbolting the clutch and sure enough the clutch fell apart in my hand, 4pieces.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:29 AM

When i pulled the stock clutch, it looked fine to me too....odd....
Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetwizeRacin2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I changed the slave and master cylinder, I got them at Bennet Auto..they seem fine, I did those then it still did it, so i put the Exedy in......so tonight i went out, i couldnt reach my drain plug and i dont have my tools at my house anyways, but i took the 17mm fill socket off, stuck in my finger, it was wet (no pun here)...but I couldnt feel an actual accumulation or "puddle" of tranny fluid, shouldnt it be sitting almost up to the fill bolt? I guess Im gona go drain it monday and get some Honda MTF</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no such thing as Honda MTF.. just ATF.. Honda trannies use either 10w30 or 5w30 engine oil. I've never tried synthetic stuff in my tranny.. just regular oil will do dude... if it's just moist and you can't feel the puddle, you're low. good luck
Old 01-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (redlinetuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinetuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's no such thing as Honda MTF.. just ATF.. Honda trannies use either 10w30 or 5w30 engine oil. I've never tried synthetic stuff in my tranny.. just regular oil will do dude... if it's just moist and you can't feel the puddle, you're low. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you don't know what you're talking about, then by all means, don't post.

There is such a thing as Honda MTF....it has additional additives to work better than convential motor oil in the tranny. It's like 3 bucks a quart at Honda.

Instead of replacing the slave cylinder, get a rebuild kit for 6 bucks at your local Napa.....thats what I did. New seal, piston, and spring.

Did you adjust your clutch pedal after the job?? Maybe you have too much slop in the pedal and is not full disengaging from the flywheel.

I would:

1. bleed clutch again
2. Adjust clutch pedal
3. Replace fluidwith Honda MTF

And go from there