Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car keeps draining my battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car keeps draining my battery

okay i have a 92 civic si. now and then as im driving my guages would die on me thus my battery is low. i put in a new alternator and new battery, same ****. once in a while this **** happens to me. so i pull to the side let it charge up and drive, battery light comes on again, i pull over and let the engine idle, same ****. then after a few tries the car all of the sudden works fine. the battery is getting charge, my guages work.

every time this **** happen to me, after a few attempts of pulling over to charge the battery it works perectly again. ****** crazy ****.

also i have a speedo problem the speedo isnt constant and sometimes it would bounce around. after 30 mph it gets accurate then after 60 it would float around. some times it stops working, and twice my check light came code 17 variable speed sensor. since then i disconected my speedo. might just be my speedo sensor.

any suggestion would be appreciated. might be a electrical problem.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My car keeps draining my battery (blue_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> might be a electrical problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is.

What do you mean you pull over and let it charge? You sit on the shoulder with the engine idling?

The battery light actually has nothing to do with the condition of the battery, it has to do with the alternator. Could your belt be slipping at all? Perhaps you have an intermitant short.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what electronics are you running (subs, fog lights, etc? and is your grounds good? you could try a ground wire system kind of thing.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car keeps draining my battery (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is.

What do you mean you pull over and let it charge? You sit on the shoulder with the engine idling?

The battery light actually has nothing to do with the condition of the battery, it has to do with the alternator. Could your belt be slipping at all? Perhaps you have an intermitant short. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yep i idle it, yeah my belt sqeaks alittle.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what electronics are you running (subs, fog lights, etc? and is your grounds good? you could try a ground wire system kind of thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
nothing but a deck
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spedo problem is he vss and the it is not the battery it is most likely an elecritcal problem or something grounding out or something
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same **** happen today, after it started the check light came on. i then hook up the vss back on. still didnt work. it acted goffy for about a good 10 trys to pull over(40 mins). finally **** went back to normal.

after stoping my car i had to leave somewhere else and this **** happen again. after 5 tries it only work after my speedometer died.

im guessing its my speedo sensor thats causing this ****.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like an intermitant short, one that is only hot when the ignition is on and somehow only when you are moving. It almost sounds like you are shorting your speedo somehow but that still doesn't make too much sense. As I doubt it could short out with that many amps.

Very Very Odd.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:56 PM
grammer nawzi

before you dropped that much money in a new alt, bat, ect. did you think of checking your fuses under the dash? sounds like you might have a blown 7.5amp fuse. If you are throwing a CEL, what codes?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car keeps draining my battery (sicky)

I would check your grounds. Check for corrosion. My 98 Passport had a bad ground from the neg terminal, and it was killing my alt.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My car keeps draining my battery (Nihonjin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nihonjin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would check your grounds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.

you said your car threw a CEL the other day, did you pull the code?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car keeps draining my battery (IHateJDM)

its a code 17, vss. it comes on once in a while, but next time i start it theres no checklight.

i might bring it to a shop and get it check if it consistantly happens again
Old 01-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Quit leaving your green neons on at night...
Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: (K.Gallagher)

That electrical problem happens to me everytime I disconnect and reconnect my battery from my car. My car would die everytime I come to a stop, but when I'm accelerating it works normally. Now everytime I reconnect my battery I have to let my car idle for 20-30 mins before driving.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (khme12)

it's probably my alternator, im guessing its going bad but the wierd **** is that suddently it happens out of no where and dissapears after a few attempt to charge it up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by khme12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That electrical problem happens to me everytime I disconnect and reconnect my battery from my car. My car would die everytime I come to a stop, but when I'm accelerating it works normally. Now everytime I reconnect my battery I have to let my car idle for 20-30 mins before driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>

disconnecting the battery doesnt help my much, 30 min idle is that good for your the engine
Old 01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blue_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

disconnecting the battery doesnt help my much, 30 min idle is that good for your the engine </TD></TR></TABLE>

Idling for long periods is not the best for your engine, but it's not all tha bad.....it's a Honda engine, it will last.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (old man neri)

[QUOTE=blue_hatch]

How would letting the car idle charge the battery faster than driving it...?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tipsy_619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tipsy_619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=blue_hatch]

How would letting the car idle charge the battery faster than driving it...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you drive u use battery, and i play it safe cause my car might die on me while i drive
Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car keeps draining my battery

Originally Posted by civiccoupe94
what electronics are you running (subs, fog lights, etc? and is your grounds good? you could try a ground wire system kind of thing.
My Battery Drains.

dont know where to start but, basically

when i DONT start my car for a good 23hrs (i timed it)
my battery dies..

I uninstalled my Sub, Amp and Dome Light (it only turns on when on DOOR mode, and on ON position SOMETIMES and when in OFF position it does not turn off, it just Dims).

i'm still running Fog Lights

i bought a Yellow Top from Autozone.
Replaced it 3x I'm now on my 4th New Yellow Top. LOL

WHAT I DID SO FAR..

I started my car, popped the hood, took Battery out and the car still runs..

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO and WHAT DO I TEST FOR..

I also checked all my fuses. all is in good and working condition.

another question

in general, if its not GROUND correctly. what happens?

So basically just to keep my car working normal i have to START her up twice a day...

SMFH WTF