Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car idles weird after fixing IACV! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car idles weird after fixing IACV! HELP!!

I have a 92 honda civic cx with a B18b and a drag kit. Anyways, My car idles at 1500 rpms and bounces of that when its not warmed up and when it warms up it runs fine. I brought it into the local honda dealership and they told me it was the IACV so i bought the part and changed it myseld and it still does it. Another weird thing is that when im driving it doesnt stay at a steady speed. When i give it gas it jerks and when i let off the gas it jerks too, and when i try to stay at a steady speed it jerks really bad.i thought it could be a broken motor mount but i have all the inserts and my check engine light is throwing a 14. i dont know what to do. The mechanics dont really know what it is. I really need to find out what it is . all your help is appreciated
Old 01-28-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: My car idles weird after fixing IACV! HELP!! (LagunaSecaEG)

Remove your intake. Right underneath the throttle-body, there is a fast idle valve. Take 3- 10mm bolts off and the coolant lines and remove fast idle valve. Take the 2- 8mm screws out, remove cover then take two flathead screwdrivers and turn plastic spring holder all the way out then screw all the way in until it can't turn any further. Then put everything back together the way it was and place on car, then start car.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car idles weird after fixing IACV! HELP!! (EGwayz)

any pictures?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought that they only came on automatics?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGwayz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remove your intake. Right underneath the throttle-body, there is a fast idle valve. Take 3- 10mm bolts off and the coolant lines and remove fast idle valve. Take the 2- 8mm screws out, remove cover then take two flathead screwdrivers and turn plastic spring holder all the way out then screw all the way in until it can't turn any further. Then put everything back together the way it was and place on car, then start car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try this and ask questions later...
Old 01-28-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: My car idles weird after fixing IACV! HELP!! (civicboisi)

Taken into account that D-series and B-series IAC valves are different, they did give you one for the motor thats in the car and just to be checking but did you change controls with the motor swap??
Code 14 is for the IACV
Old 01-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=civicboisi]

Try this and ask questions later

i did all of that and the problem still exists. I dont know what else it could be. And when i drive my car and accelerate and slow down by taking my foot off the gas pedal it still jerks and it wont stay a steady speed
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was reading on another topic about the fast idle thermo valve and some mechanice screwed it all the way out and then turned it about a quarter. I screwed mine all the way in. I was also reading that the fast idle thermo valve doesnt throw a code, and when i stick my finder in the bottom hole in the throttle body it still sucks air, so maybe mine is broken?? i took the connector off my iacv and it stopped revving but maybe it was already warmed up so i have to let it cool down to try again.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having about the same problem. i just did the fitv thing today so i will see if it helps my problem, but i also have the problem with it jurking when i let off the gas or give it gas. it also does it when i try to maintain a speed with the pedel just barly down. not a wot
Old 01-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tcr03)

i just took my sensor off my IACV and it stopped revving itself....i dont think thats good but i hope it doesnt affect anything
Old 01-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're throwing a code,obviously you have a problem with it.make sure you have the correct plug plugged into it-there are a couple in that area that are interchangeable.check the wiring for any breaks or shorts.you've got to fix that code to see if it fixes the problem,and before any further troubleshooting.also make sure you properly bleed your coolant to get any air out.
Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car idles weird after fixing IACV! HELP!! (TeamNextGenChris)

actually i found a different connector and the problem is FINALLLLYYY fixed. the car can keep a steady speed now and it doesnt jerk at all and the check engine light is gone. It doesnt idle weird anymore and it runs REALLY smooth . Thanks for everyones help, ive learned a lot. Honda tech is my mechanic

Modified by LagunaSecaEG at 9:43 PM 1/29/2005
Old 01-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LagunaSecaEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont see any that are interchangeable, its a b18b motor in a 92 cx. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i believe the MAP,TPS and IACV are all interchangeable.
Chris
Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 PM

So did you have the iacv connector pluged into something else, I should of thought of that, one of the guys I work with when he did his motor swap it did the samething and I didn't think about it cuz it happened so long ago, glad you got it fixed though...