Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Car Got Messed up

Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car Got Messed up

so i drive a 93 Civic Dx (b16).....i went down to Manhattan Beach and clutch started feeling weird and it was getting stuck, ill push it in to shift pedal would stay in, happened like 3 times...after we had our session down at the pier and i started driving back, it started doing it again but not just that, it started feeling loose....not even near home when the clutch just stops working on me, it was all loose, i would step on it but nothing....so there i am shifting with no clutch, taking them stops, and for the stop lights, i had to turn off the car, put in first(while car off) and when the light turned green, i then turn it on like that, as it turns on the car starts to take off by itself.....drove it like this for like 20 min......i get home, park it...i had to leave pick up my girl so didnt have time to check it, when i come back i saw there was fluid on the floor....now i have to drive my bike to work early in the morning freezing my *** off in the freeway...but this is my story...

i dont know much about cars, so a step by step or any tips on how to fix this, add fluid pump clutch idk what i have to do, any help i would greatly appreciated
Old 11-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (SinsEvil666)

You blew out the seal on your clutch's master cylinder.

Buy a new clutch master cylinder, put it in, bleed the clutch lines, and you'll be fine.

PS: Adding clutch fluid won't do anything since you simply don't have pressure.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn you beat me, also when was the last time you replaced the clutch?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You blew out the seal on your clutch's master cylinder.

Buy a new clutch master cylinder, put it in, bleed the clutch lines, and you'll be fine.

PS: Adding clutch fluid won't do anything since you simply don't have pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you sir, i will go ahead and do that when im off work, 1 more thing, would i be able to bleed the clutch myself? how exactly is that done? (im a noob) thanx
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (.:Swig:.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .:Swig:. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn you beat me, also when was the last time you replaced the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, didn't realize it was a race.

@ OP:

Whether your clutch is bad or not as swig suggests has nothing to do with your problem. Bad clutches don't make cylinder seals blow out.

In any event, you said that you don't know much about cars, etc. etc.

That thing circled in green is the clutch fluid reservoir. It sits on top of the clutch master cylinder. You get to just swap that entire assembly out (it attaches to the lever on the clutch pedal) and put it back on (re-tighten the clutch lines), then bleed the clutch like you would your brakes).
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (.:Swig:.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .:Swig:. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn you beat me, also when was the last time you replaced the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

clutch was replaced with a used one (good condition) about 3-5 months ago
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i realize that, just checking with the OP. You know the concept of fix one thing and something else breaks.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SinsEvil666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thank you sir, i will go ahead and do that when im off work, 1 more thing, would i be able to bleed the clutch myself? how exactly is that done? (im a noob) thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

They say there's self bleeders 'n crap - don't trust those, use two people.

Your clutch line connects to the slave cylinder, which is in front of the transmission, like go to the front of your car, look at your transmission, it's clear as day, the big cylinder with the metal line going to it. As you'll see there's a rubber nipple cap on on it. You remove that cap off and there's a nipple underneath. You then use a box wrench and crack it open - you have the person in the car pump 3x and hold it to the floor. Then you snug the fitting closed, rinse and repeat until clear fluid comes out of there. It's also important to note two things:

1) Your goal is to get any air that's in the clutch system - OUT.
2) You have to constantly fill that reservoir up to keep air from going in there. If you don't fill it up and it bottoms out, you'll get more air in the lines and you'll be back to square one. I usually top off the reservoir once every 2 or 3 "cycles" (a cycle being opening the bleeder nut, pump 3x and hold, and close the nut, then release the pedal).

Also note, to the person sitting in ur driver's seat, the pedal may get to the point due to lack of pressure where it won't come back on its own. That's normal, just lift it with ur toe and push it back down, it's the push the matters as that forced the liquid out of the bleeder nipple, once your whole system is pressurized and you tighten the nut back down for good, the pedal will feel normal again.

EDIT:
This is what the slave cylinder looks like:

Except yours won't be blue, it'll just be on the front of the trans, and there'll be a rubber boot between it and the transmission, it should look like this:

Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, didn't realize it was a race.

@ OP:

Whether your clutch is bad or not as swig suggests has nothing to do with your problem. Bad clutches don't make cylinder seals blow out.

In any event, you said that you don't know much about cars, etc. etc.

That thing circled in green is the clutch fluid reservoir. It sits on top of the clutch master cylinder. You get to just swap that entire assembly out (it attaches to the lever on the clutch pedal) and put it back on (re-tighten the clutch lines), then bleed the clutch like you would your brakes).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you so much, this is gonna help me alot
Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Syndacate]You blew out the seal on your clutch's master cylinder.QUOTE]

It could also be the slave cylinder. I think it could go bad and puke fluid, resulting in a soggy/nonfuctional pedal.

I hope it is because a slave cylider is much cheaper than a MC.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man i love u guys..lol...thank you all for the help, i should be able to get it done with these great how to steps
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=Syndacate]You blew out the seal on your clutch's master cylinder.QUOTE]

It could also be the slave cylinder. I think it could go bad and puke fluid, resulting in a soggy/nonfuctional pedal.

I hope it is because a slave cylider is much cheaper than a MC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It could be, but the OP said the fluid spilled into the floor by his feet. That wouldn't happen if it was the slave cylinder.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SinsEvil666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man i love u guys..lol...thank you all for the help, i should be able to get it done with these great how to steps</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd write you a more "intense" how-to but I'm running low on time, just kinda looking for something else and found my way in here .

PS: Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need additional help as I probably won't check this thread much.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, the fluid spilled from the slave cylinder (attached to tranny) since fluid was under it on floor i think these steps are perfect, im just gonna replace the slave cylinder attached to tranny, add fluid and bleed the lines, hopefully there is nothing wrong with the master cylinder. i will be back on later at night after i tried these steps to post results

Once again, thank you all for the help specially for the pics, else i would of been lost
Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Resident Gearhead

Got a slave cyl last year from NAPA for about $22.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (mcvtec)

change out both the master and slave cylinder. most of the time if one fails it can cause the other to fail. just to be on the safe side
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Resident Gearhead

Default Re: My Car Got Messed up (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change out both the master and slave cylinder. most of the time if one fails it can cause the other to fail. just to be on the safe side</TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally would only recomend this if you are certain that the parts company will refund your money for the MC if you don't need it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx to all u guys i was able to fix my car no problem, i changed the slave cylinder which was the one leaking the clutch fluid...my car is up and running now....thank you all for the great help. couldn't of done it without the help of u guys.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:51 AM

this happend to me..while i was driving..turns out you CAN drive with no clutch