Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Car is giving me a couple of weird problems...clutch? flywheel? crankshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car is giving me a couple of weird problems...clutch? flywheel? crankshaft?

the car is a 99 civic si with a b20vtec turbo...
it is built with pistons cams springs and retainers etc...

problem one: noticed today vtec not working

problem 2 : when i run it hard the rpms keep going but seems the motor doesnt it happens when i hit about 60mph car just seems to rev up and not go anywhere....seems like if someone was pulling the car back and the car trying to go but just making noise...

problem 3: when the car warms up...after a while first gear wont go in unless i release the clutch pedal a little bit...then it will go in without a problem..but if the car is sitting for a while for example if i park the car...then the next morning when i go to work it will go into every gear smoothly...

anyone ever have similar problems? could these all be related??

i replaced the clutch to an act clutch about 2 months ago..when i replaced the clutch it turns out that the clutch was still good but the mechanic who changed the old clutch did not put the bearing in...and also left the flywheel bolts {that conect to the crankshaft} loose...but i replaced the clutch anyway..tightend the bolts and that was it.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: My Car is giving me a couple of weird problems...clutch? flywheel? crankshaft?

IF it wasn't boosted it might be easier to tell but since you are, and didn't report any CELs I have to say that you need to check your tune to address problems 1 & 2.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car is giving me a couple of weird problems...clutch? flywheel? crankshaft?

so i would have to get it tuned again?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what stage is the clutch and did you break it in before you got on it?? i had the same problem with my eg and it turned out i didnt torque down the flywheel bolts all the way and they came loose and messed up my clutch
Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stage 2 i think...i read the specs on it and it said good for about 240 something torque? and my dyno sheet said 210? so i thought it was the proper one...

i made sure i tightend the flywheel bolts rite because the last mechanic left em loose and it just messed up some bolts from the head of it and the pressure plate a little bit...
Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds to me like your clutch is not engaging completely and oil pressure is suffering because of it, causing your vtec to not work.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so your suggestion would be to take the trans down and see whats going on?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by em1effekt
so your suggestion would be to take the trans down and see whats going on?
I'll just say something isn't right. Something is loose,mis-aligned, air in the clutch lines, broken oil pressure sending unit, something... I can almost guarantee that these problems are all interlinked. You cannot hit vtec in neutral because there is not enough oil pressure to engage the solenoid. Since your clutch is "slipping" you're not building up enough oil pressure as if it was in neutral. I would start by bench bleeding your clutch and ensuring there is absolutely no air in the lines.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks i will try that first thing in the morning tomorow
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have a vtec motor, but i'm having similar clutch issues... My clutch is engaging prematurely if I let the rpm's drop too much, doesn't grab well at higher rpms and sometimes I can have my clutch completely in and it keeps pulling if it's in gear. Also check for any contamination on your clutch if you decide to pull the trans. My 3000gt had trans fluid leaking on the clutch causing it to slip at higher rpms.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah mine does that to when im stoped and i have it in first and the clutch all the way in it starts rolling...
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it was suggested already, but did you try bleeding your slave cylinder yet?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bled the slave cylinder today....and it still did the same thing...when it hits 6k..rpm it just slips...vtec doesnt kick in also...the clutch fluid seems to be at the line were it says minimum going to add some..

i noticed my starter is missing a bolt...doubt it will be the problem but i am going to the junk yard to get the bolt this weekend..
Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for some help...

going to put the starter on properly on the weekend when i get the bolt and see if that helps...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Starter won't change anything... It's sole purpose is to turn the flywheel. This is something more physical. You could have damaged the clutch when they forgot to tighten the flywheel and caused a hot spot thats not getting a good bite
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I found the flywheel bolts loose...I replaced the clutch

When we found the flywheel bolts loose...my friend said that since they were moving loose that they could have stripped the thread so that there was a chance the flywheel could get loose again..

We tigthened them and replaced the clutch
Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take off the inspection plate. I know it still doesnt let you see that much, but you might see something funky. I am really running out of ideas here.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having some-what the same problem, but I believe my problem is that I need a new clutch because its making noises when its released.. and my car almost always slips in 1st gear only when I get on it hard then it catches back on when I decelerate.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just checked through the inspection plate..I don't see anything funky no shavings of any sort or anything... Starting to think I might need a new flywheel...I did not replace it when I replaced the cluch but I don't know if It can cause this....
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

going to get the flywheel resurfaced depending on its condition.....

the first time i changed the clutch i used the same flywheel mechanic said it was still good....

2nd time when the problem ended up being bolts loose...i replaced the clutch since i had already baught an act for it...but i also left the flywheel without getting resurfaced...

hopefully this solves the problem...
Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you didnt lose your dowel pins for the transmission. These keep the trans and engine perfectly aligned...
Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what was it?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just needed the pedal adjusted
And trans oil was too thick
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I just did my transmission and clutch and my trans oil smelled like 90w... I slapped a new ex tranny in and put fresh honda mtf and it drives like a dream...