Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car doesnt start. Should I get a swap now? HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car doesnt start. Should I get a swap now? HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Hello everyone! I got problems with my car again...
I just want a RELIABLE car. I would also be nice to make it quick too, but thats not really necessary.
My car is a 92 DX hatchback, auto....
About couple months ago I had overheating problems and I changed headgasket. It worked great, except that I did not take the head to a shop to resurface. Later (next weekend) I found out I had stuck spark plugs. I changed 3 out of 4 spark plugs. It was working okay, except on some cold mornings it would idle rough until it would warm up... I did not feel like taking the head off again, though, so I just left it like it was...
A week ago it started leaking oil from under the crank pulley, but I ignored that too...

But today, it just wouldnt start. I pulled out the 3 spark plugs (the 4th one is stuck permanently) and the spark looks good on all of them... But I noticed a little bit of oil spots on the plugs... Is that normal? Is my headgasket messed up again?
I dont think want to mess with this motor anymore (it has 200k miles on it). Should I just swap it for a newer SOHC motor? And also convert it to a manual, while at it?

I live around SoCal (Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino counties). Does anyone know if it is possible to get a CHEAP and RELIABLE (legit) swap around here? Or those 2 things dont go together? I was reading around and found on forums that many people get rid of their HX motors, nobody likes those... I was hoping those could be cheap?

Or should I just start taking this motor apart again? I am not too familiar with motors, though... I will probably just break it more...

HELP!! What should I do?

Someone was telling me I should just get a newer corolla, but I like my hatchback!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: My car doesnt start. Should I get a swap now? HELP!!! PLEASE!!! (Elrusodan)

swap in a gsr
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car doesnt start. Should I get a swap now? HELP!!! PLEASE!!! (Elrusodan)

Oil on your spark plugs could be your ring seal or leaking in a valve seal. If oil is on the outside of the spark plug and not on the electrode, you have a leaking valve cover.

I suggest if your engine is giving you problems swap it for a D16y8 ( think they go around 500) and boost it if you want to be quick.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: My car doesnt start. Should I get a swap now? HELP!!! PLEASE!!! (Neebs)

What is cheap for you? Give us a price range and we will be able to help you. I would say it's time to cut the 92 dx loose and just get a 99 si, that would be ideal, pretty cheap, and very reliable! (Stock ftw)
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car doesnt start. Should I get a swap now? HELP!!! PLEASE!!! (djessenz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djessenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is cheap for you? Give us a price range and we will be able to help you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I like the idea about D16Y8 someone posted above. $500 sounds great... But how much would it be together with transmission and all of the work (conversion to manual from auto?)
The reason I thought about HX, I was hoping it would be even cheaper than the Y8, and still reliable....
I am a broke student who works couple days a week, but right now I have a week off (for thanksgiving) and now I will try to make some money for the car. I have about $1000 saved, I could find little more, maybe $500... Then, (i'd rather not, but if I have to) I could use some credit card if I need more (I still have a couple I need to pay off, but my credit is good and I could get another one)...

I think GSR is alot bigger budget, with D-series I could still use most of the original parts: intake, ehxaust manifolds, the original ECU (just add some VTEC controller or RPM activated switch?), even the 2 original pedals, just need to add 1 more for the clutch.... That would save alot of labor, I think....
PS&gt; Performance is not really an issue... At least not until I graduate and work full-time
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 PM

For a daily driven car a D16Y8 is perfect, labor could be anywhere from $400-700 just really depends. If you can do the swap yourself, it pretty much saves half of the cost
Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone familiar with any good places and prices in SoCal:
Would $500 get me a good D16 or something with leaking seals and messed-up pistons, etc?
What about the price together with manual transmission? What price should I look for (for a good-wroking, reliable one)?

Also if anyone could suggest good places to go to around Riverside, Orange or San Bernardino counties... LA county is okay too, I guess, if the shop is worth it (I will be towing from Corona)