Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car always blows air, even when the A/C isn't on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 My car always blows air, even when the A/C isn't on.

So I've come to discover that my car always manages to blow air into the cabin even when the A/C, reserc, and heater are on. I'll just be driving around my local park and notice my car cabin is getting hotter and hotter, and I look down to turn off the heater to only notice it isn't on. Is this normal, or should I do something to fix it?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My car always blows air, even when the A/C isn't on.

is the blower actually pushing air in, or does it just feel like air is leaking thru the vents?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing is on, it feels like it's just slowly kind of drifting through the vents.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

check your recirculation?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

There is a lot going on in the HVAC controls, so the source of the problem could be many things.

1st thing to check is weather or not the heater valve (on the firewall in the engine bay) is all the way closed when the temp control is set to cold. When the engine is running, the heater hoses should not be hot like the other hoses. You can slip it's little cable off the lever and make sure the lever is pushed all the way to it's end direction to be sure. If it's still letting hot coolant through, then either one of the HVAC cables is out of adjustment or the valve itself is not working properly.

Typically the problem is the cable from the HVAC temp controls down to the mechanism in the passengers footwell is the source of the issue. You can usually tell cause the temp adjuster goes to max-cold easily but won't move all the way to the hot end (common issue). This is because the cable-sleeve in passengers footwell has slipped slightly in its clamp. The cable-sleeve must be un-clamped in the passengers footwell and re-clamped in proper location to allow full range of adjustment on the HVAC temp adjuster.

Essentially it wasn't completely closing the coolant and air-mix doors because the temp-adjuster wasn't REALLY at full cold.

If you still can't get full range out of the temp adjuster control, then the problem could be the second cable from the footwell mechanism out to the heater valve in the engine bay. This cable is adjusted by the sleeve clamp in the engine bay.

Hopfully this fixes the heating issue. If not, you could have a mixing door problem which is a nightmare. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct me if im wrong but even simply having the heater set to hot w/o the blower / anything on is enough to allow hot coolant into the cabins heating radiator. Make sure its slid to the cold side at all times in the summer.

Also to block residual air from entering through the vents with the blower off use the recirculate button.