Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Car (00 ex coupe) Was Hit Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car (00 ex coupe) Was Hit Need Advice

I moved my car out into my driveway which is an alley and it was snowing and a little slippery. I heard a motor reving so i came out of my garage to see a newer bmw and i was making my way to my car to move it more out of the way. The guy in the bmw backed up than tried to get around my car and i watched him slide right into my car. Fortunately his drivers rear quarter hit the driver side rear bumper right at the edge. There is a decent sized scrape with some paint missing. His car was much worse since it hit the metal and not a plastic bumper cover. I got his insurance info, license plate #, name and phone number and he admitted completed fault since i wasn't even in it at the time. He said his deductible was $500 and he would prefer to just cut me a check. I was just planning to go to some body shops and get estimates and than have him pay me and fix the car in the spring after the snow is done along with putting a rear lip on it. Any suggestions? I kind of just want a new bumper and get the whole new one painted. My car is Silver any idea how much it should cost and what i should charge him? Thanks in advance
Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car (00 ex coupe) Was Hit Need Advice

I wouldn't play that crap and just go through insurance. Its really hard to guess how much its gonna cost to fix without seeing some pictures. For reference some retarded girl dropkicked her door into my drivers door. Now were talking like a golf ball sized dent here with some scrapes. The body shop charged her insurance $583.00. So even if the damage looks minor it might cost a lot to fix because they have to strip and paint panels plus match the surrounding panels. They don't just paint the bumper and call it a day they would have to match all of the surrounding panels. Body work is freakin expensive.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

just get estimates tell him its (biggest amount one charges) tell him to write u a check

and keep the cash lol
Old 01-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, go to some expensive bodyshops, get the estimate, and have him cut you a check. Then get a used bumper from a junkyard and keep the rest as extra money
Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt wait till spring. If the guy decides to be shady i belive there is a time limit on when you can do a claim, then they will ask for a police report. Which you do not have, always call the cops. People and insurance companys allways look for an out.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm going to get the money by the end of the week. I'm not going to wait until spring to get the money. Any idea how much it would cost to fix?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i think if you didnt call the police then your out of luck if he doesnt want to pay you there is nothing legally you can do about it
Old 01-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The good thing about the situation is he is actually a neighbor that lives about 5 houses down and drives an 07 bmw 335i. If it came to that i would just take him to small claims court.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
JFP
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you, and even though he's your neighbor such as such I would file a claim on his insurance company. Don't play "cut the check bs". I was in your situation a month ago and I went through their insurance company and they just now cut me a mine for the estimated amount of damage to my bumper. Try to find the best quality shop that will fix your car at a good shop or if its only a bumper scrape I would just get another bumper OEM ones and have shop paint it installing yourself.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're getting good advice from other posters. Get shop estimates to establish an objective repair cost. After you get payment from the driver or his insurance, you can fix your car any way you want.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Neighbor, relative...it doesn't matter. Go through insurance.

Otherwise tell him $500 will cover it. NEVER let the person that HIT YOU dictate ****!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i would do what every one else is saying lol
i didnt see it, but get the money now!.
instead of waiting around for it, cause he might say nope.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bossm
yea i think if you didnt call the police then your out of luck if he doesnt want to pay you there is nothing legally you can do about it
you dont have to call the cops to make a claim
i got rear endnd a week ago, 3 cars invloded, didnt call cops, doesnt matter!
they say if the damage is under 500 dont call.
just make sure the info is good, and your fine to go home.
legally yes there are things you can do, if you can prove he hit you take him to court you will most likly win.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
you dont have to call the cops to make a claim
i got rear endnd a week ago, 3 cars invloded, didnt call cops, doesnt matter!
they say if the damage is under 500 dont call.
just make sure the info is good, and your fine to go home.
legally yes there are things you can do, if you can prove he hit you take him to court you will most likly win.
k thx for clearing things up for the man but i wouldnt wait for him to give me my money go get it now
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tercel95
So even if the damage looks minor it might cost a lot to fix because they have to strip and paint panels plus match the surrounding panels. They don't just paint the bumper and call it a day they would have to match all of the surrounding panels. Body work is freakin expensive.
well yes and no.. they do just paint the panel and call it a day. but they blend the part of the panel that touches the untouched (Original Paint) panel. it never really ever matches it just matters how well you can blend your paint ;-) i know cos i have done this 1000000 times.

OP since you car is silver the paint will be cheaper then most other colors, it will also be a lot easier to color match. i say go find a couple body shops get a few quotes. then like the people below me are saying, get the money. check junk yards/hondamarketplace and find a new OEM bumper, order your lip then get that bitch painted

you will probably end up with some money left over!

Originally Posted by en00be
just get estimates tell him its (biggest amount one charges) tell him to write u a check

and keep the cash lol
Originally Posted by sde780
Yea, go to some expensive bodyshops, get the estimate, and have him cut you a check. Then get a used bumper from a junkyard and keep the rest as extra money
these people got the right idea!!!