Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My B18B Motor / B16A Tranny Q&A Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My B18B Motor / B16A Tranny Q&A Thread

I plan on getting a B18B motor with a B16A tranny (I realize GSR is a bit longer but I don't do high way driving so the shorter gears for the little more quickness is what I want more). Been planning it for a while now and have done a lot of thinking and have finalized it with this setup. However, there are still questions that I have and obviously I'll search before posting. So as the thread continues, I'll keep posting questions if I have any or just info that I want to make sure is clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the questions, here are some basic "guidelines" you should know before giving input:
#1: This car is strictly DD. This ej8 will never see boost or any serious performance/power.
#2: I do NOT want to run into emission law problems. Seeing that NYS laws are strict and with the new OBDII laws, I'd rather just swap something in that's legal and keep it that way instead of having to switch things up just to pass a damn test to keep my car on the road.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Question #1:
Now from what I understand, I obviously need an OBDII motor since I have a 99. That isn't a problem. But from what I understand from other people, I can use ANY OBDII motor as long as I have the OBDII-B ECU and I won't run into emission/law problems? So I want to make sure if that's right or not. (Keep "guideline" #2 above in mind).

Question #2:
It may seem like a stupid question, but hey we all learn something new everyday right? But I was wondering that since I'm going to be using the B18 engine harness, can I still use my OEM fogs or are those a no go? It would suck if I can't cuz then I'd need a new bumper . I wouldn't want the fog holes I cut to be there.

Question #3:
I want an Apexi WS2 (for the quiet factor cuz I hate riding in a car with loud exhausts) so I was wondering if there would be any need for modification to the piping for it to bolt up to the cat or no modification at all?

Question #4:
Not to sound like a ricer, but how well does a B18B respond to bolt-ons? I heard not as well as the other B's but it'd be nice just to know generally. I plan on getting I/H/E and maybe IM and IM gasket just for the hell of it. I mean, the quicker the car, the better but again, it's a DD. I'm not looking for any serious performance.

More to come...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: My B18B Motor / B16A Tranny Q&A Thread (amej8)

On #3: I believe if you buy the WS2 for your application, there will be no modification needed.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks for clearin that up .
Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (amej8)

I have the same setup, jdm B18B with 2000 civic si trans, i love it!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B18B Motor / B16A Tranny Q&A Thread (amej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Question #1:
Now from what I understand, I obviously need an OBDII motor since I have a 99. That isn't a problem. But from what I understand from other people, I can use ANY OBDII motor as long as I have the OBDII-B ECU and I won't run into emission/law problems? So I want to make sure if that's right or not. (Keep "guideline" #2 above in mind).

That is correct OBII car w/OBDII motor with respective ecu, should have no emissions problem and must have no CEL codes and be a USDM engine and ecu. JDM motors can pass emissions but will need to convert certain engine parts to USDM specs.

Question #2:
It may seem like a stupid question, but hey we all learn something new everyday right? But I was wondering that since I'm going to be using the B18 engine harness, can I still use my OEM fogs or are those a no go? It would suck if I can't cuz then I'd need a new bumper . I wouldn't want the fog holes I cut to be there.

Yes you can use your stock harness.

Question #3:
I want an Apexi WS2 (for the quiet factor cuz I hate riding in a car with loud exhausts) so I was wondering if there would be any need for modification to the piping for it to bolt up to the cat or no modification at all?

Will bolt up and fit like a glove, enjoy

Question #4:
Not to sound like a ricer, but how well does a B18B respond to bolt-ons? I heard not as well as the other B's but it'd be nice just to know generally. I plan on getting I/H/E and maybe IM and IM gasket just for the hell of it. I mean, the quicker the car, the better but again, it's a DD. I'm not looking for any serious performance.

B-series n/a motors dont respond too well with bolt-ons, you won't gain much at all, even though you may spend couple of benjamins for i/h/e only. But it does help in performance.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response.

Any other info other people haven't covered yet would be appreciated :thumbs up.

But on another forum, someone told me that I would need a 99-00 B18B to pass if they did a "visual inspection"?? Anyone confirm this?