Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   My 98 Civic DX HB stalls occasionally....why??? Need help!!! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/my-98-civic-dx-hb-stalls-occasionally-why-need-help-939311/)

PYITR821 07-26-2004 09:52 PM

My 98 Civic DX HB stalls occasionally....why??? Need help!!!

I have a 98 Civic Dx HB and sometimes while driving, the car unexpectedly dies. The thing that's weird is when it quits there are no warning lights on the guage cluster and the radio turns off as well. It's like someone just turned the car off. When I try to restart it....it doesn't start up right away....it takes several tries to restart it. I can see that it starts when I turn the key because I see the rpm's go up, but once I release the key, it just dies. It has died on the hwy going 70mph and it has died in traffic at idle. It doesn't do this all the time, just whenever it feels like it. What could this be? I have checked the wiring several times and everything seems to be good. I am now thinking it could be my ignition switch... what do you guys think? Help me out!!!!

shraz 07-26-2004 11:22 PM

Re: My 98 Civic DX HB stalls occasionally....why??? Need help!!! (PYITR821)

uhoh time to go to honda garage?

whoobeedoobee 07-27-2004 10:45 AM

does it cut off when the clutch is in? or under throttle?

Donkey85 07-27-2004 10:48 AM

Re: My 98 Civic DX HB stalls occasionally....why??? Need help!!! (whoobeedoobee)

now when u say u it just shuts off do you have any power in the car such as lights and what not????

dsowers19 07-27-2004 03:13 PM

a few things to check,...

1. The alternator could be going out. You can get a free check at local parts stores and they will tell you if it is good or bad...

2. The fuel pump or fuel filter might be getting plugged up. Do you run any fuel injector cleaners into the gas when you fill up?

Urban Camo 07-27-2004 04:16 PM

it might be wiring, check it, it might be fuel change you fuel filter if they get clogged they can easily make your car stall

Black Si 07-27-2004 04:24 PM

check your ignition switch it could be dropping the ignition wire causing the car to die.

ek9800 07-27-2004 08:52 PM

Re: (Black Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your ignition switch it could be dropping the ignition wire causing the car to die.</TD></TR></TABLE>

PYITR821 07-28-2004 09:07 PM

Re: (Black Si)

I am going to check my ignition switch this weekend... what about relays? There is a fuse box under the hood with some relays, could any of them cause this?

PYITR821 08-01-2004 01:17 PM

Re: (PYITR821)

Could the main relay be the cause of this?

fast+forward 08-01-2004 01:40 PM

Re: (PYITR821)

i've had the same problem twice but it was caused by different things

1. distributor on my d16y7 was goin bad..
-crank over several times to start, sometimes not at all
-low idle, died in traffic w/out warning

2. ground wire corroded on my h22
-would die in traffic, blowing the ecu fuse
-would not crank over because of the blown fuse

AphexMatt 08-01-2004 01:52 PM

Re: (breakaway)

It could be the ignition switch, they had a recall of this part on my 1998 Cx also a hatch. Notice was sent to me and my father I had mine replaced (free from Honda dealer) and my dad still has to go. If I can find it I will post the exact notice. I never had the problem but got it done while other things were being taken care of.

PYITR821 08-01-2004 01:53 PM

Re: (breakaway)

I have recently done a B18C1 swap but the problem is still there. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

AphexMatt 08-01-2004 02:07 PM

Summer 2002
Important Safety Recall Notice: Civic Ignition Switch

Dear Civic Owner:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1998-00 Civics.

Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing.

There is more it tells you to contact an authorized dealer to get this taken care of, but it sounds like it could be the culprit.

Edit: ahh i didn't see the swap in your profile hehe and all this typing... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

PYITR821 08-01-2004 06:17 PM

Re: My 98 Civic DX HB stalls occasionally....why??? Need help!!! (AphexMatt)

it was doing this before the swap....and it is still doing it after the swap. I am not the original owner of the car...do you think I could still take in to Honda and have them replace my ignition switch without charge?

RotiEatter 08-01-2004 06:29 PM

hmmm, I have troubles starting my 1999 Civic DX HB that I just bought. I have to push the key inward to start instead of just turning like it should, i have to push and turn at the same time. I though it might be the ignition switch. i wonder if that is it? I am not the original owner either, I hope we can still be covered by this.

AphexMatt 08-01-2004 08:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PYITR821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it was doing this before the swap....and it is still doing it after the swap. I am not the original owner of the car...do you think I could still take in to Honda and have them replace my ignition switch without charge?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm, I have troubles starting my 1999 Civic DX HB that I just bought. I have to push the key inward to start instead of just turning like it should, i have to push and turn at the same time. I though it might be the ignition switch. i wonder if that is it? I am not the original owner either, I hope we can still be covered by this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't the original owner of my Civic either, but it was registered to me (Winter 2001) at the time the notice was issued (Summer 2002) I guess thats when they issued the recall. Like I said before my father hasn't taken his in yet b/c he hasn't had problems, I would guess thats what most people would do (like the previous owners of your cars, maybee?) Since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was indicated in the notice I am pretty sure Honda has to fix the problem no matter what. The ignition switch isn't involved in a motor swap correct? so I think your still covered too...

/shrug gotta call Honda for the real deal, I just went thru the local dealership but here is more from the notice:

If you have any questions about this notice, or need assistance with contacting a Honda dealer, please call Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009

PYITR821 08-01-2004 08:53 PM

sounds good, I am going to go to Honda tomorrow and see if I can get this fixed without being charged.

thanks.

RotiEatter 08-02-2004 02:28 PM

Let us know how it goes, because my local Honda dealership is a bunch of dicks who dont know shit, so I only go there if I have to.

PYITR821 08-02-2004 10:25 PM

Re: My 98 Civic DX HB stalls occasionally....why??? Need help!!! (RotiEatter)

Just went to the honda dealer today and told them my car is a 98 civic and I heard there is a recall on the ignition switch. They said yes there is and they scheduled me an appointment to replace the ignition switch and they said they also have to install some little hook thingy for the floor mat...because they said there were problems with the driver's side floor mat sliding under the pedals. I am going to get all this done tomorrow!!! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

Hey RotiEatter, go to your honda dealer and tell them about the recall...they have to replace your switch. My honda dealer was glad to fix mine.

2fast4u831 08-02-2004 10:28 PM

are the rpm's low at idle??

PYITR821 08-02-2004 10:32 PM

Re: (2FAST4U831)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2FAST4U831 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are the rpm's low at idle??</TD></TR></TABLE>

car runs fine...just stalls sometimes without warning....and is hard to start back up at times. problem is solved...turns out to be the ignition switch, which I am having replaced tomorrow.

AphexMatt 08-03-2004 03:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PYITR821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to get all this done tomorrow!!! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif</TD></TR></TABLE>

...which is today hehe. Tell us if all goes well and if the problem gets solved.

PYITR821 08-03-2004 06:24 PM

Well, I got my new ignition switch put in today....they washed my car too. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif Everything seems to be ok right now, but I will know for sure if the problem is fixed or not in the next week or so.

RotiEatter 08-03-2004 06:44 PM

Cool man, I called my Honda dealership earlier today and of course they were dicks, saying he's never heard of this recall and shit like that. I told him to look it up and of course there it was, my car hasnt been serviced yet, so he said I can schedule an appointment and they will fix it. Then he hung up on me and I tried to call back and no one answered. Fuck Lanier Honda https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif I guess I will call another Honda dealership tomorrow and schedule it with them. Thanks though man, I was actually gonna try to fix this myself, but can't complain about free work https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif .