Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 97 VSM EK coupe build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 97 VSM EK coupe build

I originally purchased this coupe off of my brother as he wasn't a fan of it. As soon as I got it I began thinking about things I wanted to do to the car. Paint, some springs or coilovers, wheels, etc. Nearly two years later I've actually started working on it.
First thing I did was put some 185/50/14 federal 595s on it. A few days later I purchased Progress CS II coilovers and then installed them. Installing them took a couple hours with a bunch of messing around.

Next I purchased an ITR shift boot from ICBMotorsports because mine was in terrible condition. My brother also bought me a checkered sports shift ****

I was done for a few weeks in term of doing stuff for the car. I found a CRV cluster on here and always wanted one cause of the amber tach. I needed someone to change the mileage because my car had more than what the cluster said. I sent if off and also had the bezel wrapped in CF vinyl

Here it is installed

I was on the hunt for an OEM steering wheel as mine was in terrible shape. I had a hard time finding one. While looking at the at work, my coworker claimed he had a sparco steering wheel that he'd trade me for some beer (Score!!). I purchased an NRG short hub and an omni power quick release for the wheel.

At this point I was torn. Do I drop money on a swap? Do I spend money on much needed paint? After an estimate and some contemplating, I decided to go with paint and push the swap to some time next year. The following week they worked on the body for Monday and Tuesday. They sprayed the car Thursday and waited a few days to put the sideskirts, moldings and bumpers back on. Here it is as of Monday with some new depo headlights

Here is the car on the inside

I have a thing for amber so to go along with the cluster I changed out the bulbs in my climate control. This is how my setup is with the cluster

Don't have any immediate plans for the car. I want to do a rear disc conversion but I am torn on a few things. After that, maybe some wheels.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 97 VSM EK coupe build

Highly interested in this, i'll be watching this build
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiRBranno
Highly interested in this, i'll be watching this build
Thanks. I might pick up some ek4 sir floor mats today
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

definitely needs some wheels, nice though.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
definitely needs some wheels, nice though.
You are correct. My initial plan was to run some hubcaps that were in better condition but now I NEED wheels
Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car looks extremely good

You need a rear sway also
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should stop by the dealer and pick up a new dash cluster visor, a new one looks so much better, you can't even tell it's there. I did that on my own car.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
You should stop by the dealer and pick up a new dash cluster visor, a new one looks so much better, you can't even tell it's there. I did that on my own car.

How much did it run you?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the CRV cluster and I'm a fan of amber myself, I have that same exact head unit, lol. I still need to do the bulbs in the climate control, though.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The paint on your car looks great I would hold off on a new paint job and focus on a swap and finding wheels.Good lock on the build
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryd2TheMax
Love the CRV cluster and I'm a fan of amber myself, I have that same exact head unit, lol. I still need to do the bulbs in the climate control, though.
It's not too hard. It just takes some patience. I'm actually going to be throwing up a Climate control with amber bulbs installed soon.
Originally Posted by HOMEMADEPOWER
The paint on your car looks great I would hold off on a new paint job and focus on a swap and finding wheels.Good lock on the build
The paint looks great because it just got done!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Off to a great start. The paint on that car looks fantastic. I like that the side skirts have been paint matched too. I'm not a fan of natural selection mods though (removing the airbag on a daily driven car). I ended up finding an OEM Si wheel for my car and I like it alot.

If you really wanted to change up the look you could go with a 99-00 front-end conversion.

Here is mine:

Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
Off to a great start. The paint on that car looks fantastic. I like that the side skirts have been paint matched too. I'm not a fan of natural selection mods though (removing the airbag on a daily driven car). I ended up finding an OEM Si wheel for my car and I like it alot.

If you really wanted to change up the look you could go with a 99-00 front-end conversion.

Here is mine:

I thought about the airbag issue as well. My steering wheel was so shot and I couldn't find another OEM one. Like I said, I paid the price of beer for this one so if anything I can always swap in a wheel with an airbag.

I didn't want to drop the money on an OEM front end conversion and didn't want to worry about fitment issues with an aftermarket one. I do like the looks of them though. I'm thinking about purchasing a CTR grill

Love the pinstripe. Part of me wished I kept it but I'm happy with the looks now! Also a fan of the rpf1s
Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by keiththesneak
I thought about the airbag issue as well. My steering wheel was so shot and I couldn't find another OEM one. Like I said, I paid the price of beer for this one so if anything I can always swap in a wheel with an airbag.

I didn't want to drop the money on an OEM front end conversion and didn't want to worry about fitment issues with an aftermarket one. I do like the looks of them though. I'm thinking about purchasing a CTR grill

Love the pinstripe. Part of me wished I kept it but I'm happy with the looks now! Also a fan of the rpf1s
Yeah my OEM wheel was pretty torn up too. Maybe you will get lucky and come across someone parting out a 99-00 and be able to get the front end conversion for cheap.

I was lucky and found some kid who had financed his Si, blew it up and actually had his insurance total it. He was trying to sell a bunch of stuff off of it before the insurance company came to pick it up.

I love the pinstripe too. I would like to get it redone but I'm not sure I can find an exact replacement. It has a little Honda 'H' on the front fender. I have some black slipstreams on the car now. I think I am going to get the RPF1s powdercoated purple. There is just a little too much Silver on the car I think.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
Yeah my OEM wheel was pretty torn up too. Maybe you will get lucky and come across someone parting out a 99-00 and be able to get the front end conversion for cheap.

I was lucky and found some kid who had financed his Si, blew it up and actually had his insurance total it. He was trying to sell a bunch of stuff off of it before the insurance company came to pick it up.

I love the pinstripe too. I would like to get it redone but I'm not sure I can find an exact replacement. It has a little Honda 'H' on the front fender. I have some black slipstreams on the car now. I think I am going to get the RPF1s powdercoated purple. There is just a little too much Silver on the car I think.
Now that I've painted the car I doubt I will do the conversion. Sounds like you got lucky! :p

I love white or hyper bronze wheels with VSM