Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 96 ek hatch ressurection build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 96 ek hatch ressurection build

Hi all im starting this thread to get some help with my current build.
I have a 96 hatch dx which previous owner had a blown b18c1 motor/trans. motor and trans was pulled and i ran a d16y7 for a bit until i found another b18c1.
and i dropped it in. i dont know anything about the previous motor and the current b18c1 was in an EG so i reused the old intake manifold/fuel rail/injectors as that is what fits the harness that i have. currently motor turns over but does not fire. ECU is a hondata s300. I noticed there were some differences and a few vacuum lines which i am not sure where they go. tried looking up some specs but noticed my intake manifold is not an oem gsr and fuel rail/injectors is unknown.
First off can anyone help me identify this intake manifold? tried looking for markings and stamps but ive onlye seen "HAD" on the throttle body

Old 04-10-2019, 04:30 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 96 ek hatch ressurection build

Are you hearing the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when you turn the key to the position before you crank it over ?

if you’re not hearing the fuel pump prime I would check;
A) Thermostat housing ground wire. They could be broke at the harness or it needs to be cleaned.
Find this by following your lower radiator hose to the motor.
B) If you’re not hearing it still after A I would jump the main relay to see if fuel pumps kicking on.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 AM
Trial User

Did a bit of searching and i think i have an aftermarket "type R" style intake manifold. was able to match up some of my vacuum lines but i noticed i don't think i have a pcv valve.

as far as the fuel pump, yes i hear it prime when i turn to ignition 2, Fuel pressure regulator goes to about 40psi then tapers to approx 20 psi if i don't crank the motor. still no fire. pulled the plugs and noticed they were dry. Possibly fuel injectors??
Old 04-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dungYpham
Did a bit of searching and i think i have an aftermarket "type R" style intake manifold. was able to match up some of my vacuum lines but i noticed i don't think i have a pcv valve.

as far as the fuel pump, yes i hear it prime when i turn to ignition 2, Fuel pressure regulator goes to about 40psi then tapers to approx 20 psi if i don't crank the motor. still no fire. pulled the plugs and noticed they were dry. Possibly fuel injectors??
Do you get 12v to the injector harness (and all injectors) with the key turned on but engine not running? If you do, check for injector pulse while cranking. I'll see if I can find the procedure in my FSM...
Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Trial User

I do have 12 Volts at the injector harness. I ended up pulling the injectors and all 4 are spraying fuel. So i have fuel coming from the injectors and spark. But i noticed the spark was a bit weak (orange spark). even with a weak spark shouldn't there still be a sputter? even if it's just a little bit? starting to run back through ignition troubleshoot again. On a side note, i loaded up a base tune for stock usP72 on the s300 to help rule out the ecu tune.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Trial User

After changing different rotor caps, i noticed the timing cams were slightly off. Ended up pulling/changing the timing belt and reset the timing according to the helms manual. put a new rotor cap on and still no fire. changed the entire distributor and finally got it to start. now that it's started my idle has been really high sitting at 3k at first and now 2k. Have been looking for vacuum leaks and double checking my vacuum lines. to see if that helps with the idle. Anyone have any thoughts on a high idle? possibly no back pressure? i am running open header until my exhaust arrives.