Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 94civ is giving me nightmares!!! please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 My 94civ is giving me nightmares!!! please help!!

I recently just bought a 94 civic and for the first two months it has driven like a dream. it only has 90,000km on the motor and body. Unfortunately just the other week what we thought was the fuel pump went on it... so we replaced it and the little beast started up again right away. I wish I was joking but seriously, not even two days later the same problem happens again when we go over a speed bump going. ( the problem is hard to explain...)

essentially the car will not (when running) take gas from the fuel tank and essentially the gas throttle goes dead. I started to roll back over the speed bump, forgetting that I was in an automatic and then freaked lol.
ANYWHO, we replaced the fuel pump a second time because we thought the first one we got from lordco was a dud, but the little beast wouldn't turn over. we can't even hear the fuel pump click. so to our misfortune we replaced the fuel pump relay. YET STILL THE LITTLE BEAST WONT TURN OVER. I honestly wake up sweating in the middle of the night because we can figure out what's wrong with her. we have checked the fuel pump and the relay for power and connection, so we know there isn't any broken wires anywhere. I have a suspicion that the ECU went but this car was babied before I got it and everything was original.
since it won't start we cant take it to a shop and we have run out of things that we can test at home

if anyone has any ideas it would help a lot!!!!!!!
if I missed any information please let me know!!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: My 94civ is giving me nightmares!!! please help!!

Spark? Power?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Spark? Power?
yes and yes! everything, that a normal person can check, has been checked. we are currently on the lookout for a new ECU and our local pick and pull had none, since a brand new one is $700 I don't have.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have a bad ECU the way they typically go bad, you won't get spark. When you turn the key on but don't crank, the check engine light should come on then go out. If it stays on, the ECU is not booting up, and the car is not going to start. Sometimes if you leave the key on for a period of time, which can be up to several minutes, the light will eventually go out and you can start.

This is assuming the main relay and ground wires are good. The relay in question is called the main relay and it is mounted to the side of the car right above the handle you pull to open the hood. Is that what you replaced? Also you should check the ECU ground wires, these are 4 small wires attached to one terminal on the thermostat housing.

If the CEL does come on then go out every time but the fuel pump doesn't run, you need to check the fuel pump fuse and wiring, especially the wires under the back seat and the fuel pump ground which is on the body of the car just under the bottom edge of the top cushion of the back seat.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If you have a bad ECU the way they typically go bad, you won't get spark. When you turn the key on but don't crank, the check engine light should come on then go out. If it stays on, the ECU is not booting up, and the car is not going to start. Sometimes if you leave the key on for a period of time, which can be up to several minutes, the light will eventually go out and you can start.

This is assuming the main relay and ground wires are good. The relay in question is called the main relay and it is mounted to the side of the car right above the handle you pull to open the hood. Is that what you replaced? Also you should check the ECU ground wires, these are 4 small wires attached to one terminal on the thermostat housing.

If the CEL does come on then go out every time but the fuel pump doesn't run, you need to check the fuel pump fuse and wiring, especially the wires under the back seat and the fuel pump ground which is on the body of the car just under the bottom edge of the top cushion of the back seat.

yes we just checked the ECU and I thought the sparks went, but turns out they dont. yes I think we replaced the main relay. I will forward this info to my dad thank you! and we checked the fuel pump by jimmy rigging it and hooking it up to power so we know its not broken lol.