Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 350whp engine build thread...(I think my old one got deleted so heres a new one....)

Old 06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 350whp engine build thread...engine is in!!!!!...(I think my old one got deleted so heres a new o

<U>NEW UPDATE!!! AUGUST 2TH 2007!!!</U>

I found my other thread so i decided to copy and paste it into here...so here it is from the beginning!

December 20th 2006

So i got my hands on a D16y8 with 116 000km on it. My plans are to build up the engine then swap it into my 96 civic hb cx this summer and turbo charge it as my daily summer car. I hope to reach 275whp (approx 300hp) on a reliable turbo setup...

So this is the plan:
--BOTTOM END--
Vitara pistons (stock bore)
tt rods
KING bearings
metal head gasket
ARP headstuds
etc...

--TURBO--
Garret T3/T04 57 trim
38mm external wastegate
HKS SSQS BOV
450cc injectors
fuel pump Walbro 255
tuned on CROME
etc....

The rest is still being figured out (mainly the turbo stuff) but that is the main parts...seeing as this is my very first engine build and turbo setup i hope that everything will work out and you'll probably be hearing from me again with many many questions...lol

Today i started deconstruction of the engine and so far no surprises!

As for pics...i'll post them up as soon as i get the time cause this time of year is pretty bussy and since we have all of this new snow, I gotta go have some fun both in the roads and snowboarding.........but i should have some by the end of this week!

Wish me luck!!

UPDATE #2

February

I came across my old thread and realized that i left all of you guys hanging without pics lol...so let me update.

Well the engine has been completely disassembled for about 2 months now and i've been slowing recieving parts...here's what i have so far:

-Vitara std bore pistons
-KING engine bearings
-Eagle rods
-ARP head studs
-ARP 2000 rod bolts
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-Hasting Rings
-New thrust washers
-Action 2MS 6 puck sprung clutch and pressure plate

so after everything was taken apart and i recieved my stuff i brought all of my shiat last week to Champion machining shops for some hardcore work. I had them :

-crack test my block and head
-resurface my block
-rehone the cylinders
-resurface my head
-3 angle valve job
-gap my rings
-micro polish the crankshaft
-flywheel resurfacing

i think thats it...and then to my dismay my engine build slapped me in the face again...lol...I knew all along that my crank had some minor pitting on one of the rod bearings so i had it micropolished and it turns out that some of the pitting didn't come out. So i've gone ahead and given my machine shop the OK to regrind the entire crank therefore i now need some oversize rod bearings...

more money...but i figured that i would be kicking myself in the *** if i didn't do it and I catch a rod bearing. So i went ahead with it

And when I went to Champion yesterday i got a look and the job they did on my head and block and it was so ****ing sexy So i'm really happy with the work that has been done so far!

Anyways my machinist told me that everything should be good for me to pick it up by friday this week or monday. I CAN"T WAIT!!! so as soon as i get my stuff back i'll snap some pics for you guys and post some before and after pictures...and don't worry... this time I actually will cause i came across my cable for my digicam yesterday lol

Seeing as this build has become a little more intense then i first imagined it would be, my new goal in terms of whp is 325-375...

So as soon as i get my stuff back i'll post some pics for ya

UPDATE #3

April

ok....I've got a **** load of pics for you guys...I'm gonna start with some "before" pictures of me taking apart the engine and I'll follow those up with my recent machined pics and new parts. Hope you guys enjoy:bigup:

ok so here is the stock Y8 before i tore into it:bigup:

Valvle cover off

Head off the block

mmmmmm....carbon build up

Block...piston exposed

Girdle, oilpump etc...

Crank

Nice empty block

pitted crank...not sure if you can see the pits lol

stock clutch and pressure plate

Stock flywheel

So those are the before shots and then i brought it to the machinist...

cleaned up sexy valve cover

micropolished then Regrinded then micropolished again crankshaft lol

Empty block with girdle...all clean

Honed cylinders:D

stock cam

new Vitara piston with gapped Hasting rings

Resurfaced flywheel, Action 2ms clutch and pressure plate (6 puck sprung disk):bigup:

Eagle rods with Walbro 255hp fuel pump and ARP head studs

and for the hell of it, i thought i would post pics of my new forged H-beam Eagles compared to the stock rods lol

UPDATE #4

dam...i just realized i didn't post up pics of my head with 3 angle valve job...well here they are

.....and i thought i would also add in a sexy interior pic.......

...and exterior pics....

UPDATE#5

May

hey guys...sorry to leave you hanging! I've been busy with exams and then for the past 2-3 weeks ive been working 75+ hour weeks at work...so i haven't had alot of time to do anything.

But now that im back to a regular 40hour work week and i don't have the stress of school, I'm in full engine rebuild mode again!

So this week, i recieved all of my gaskets, and today im picking up my head gasket from honda. I also should be recieving my innovative engine mounts tomorrow...

So to bring everybody up to date, today i purchased a GT2860rs with a .63ar. I got a sick deal on it from a member on turbod16.com. I also spent a **** load of money and ordered all my turbo parts today...here's the list:

Turbonetics 38mm wastegate
turbonetics BOV
all custom 2.5-3 inch intercooler piping
sparco intercoller: 24x12x3
3 inch down pipe
custom ramhorn mani
precision turbo 750cc injectors
t-bolts clamps, oil lines bla bla bla
full obd1 conversion kit
dyno time + tuning on CROME

I'm probably forgeting stuff but that's the biggest stuff that i can remember. Also i will soon be ordering all of my gauges (all going to be autometer).

So this weekend i will hopefully be able to notch the block and get pics of that to show everyone

I'll update again as soon as i got more stuff!

UPDATE #6

July

ok well I don't know where my other thread that i started with my engine build went that i had updated like 3 tmes went so i guess ill have to start another one

ok guys...well here is the most recent update so for those of you that don't know what is going on I bought a d16y8 engine to put into my 96 civic hb and decided to build it for boost as my 350wheel hp daily driver... so ya lots of shiat has been going down in the past couple of weeks and im really getting down to the final stages of this thing finally and spending ALOT of money...I hope to be doing the swap this coming weekend:

ok so first of all i started by notching the block...

Then i assembled the block internals...

Then the i assembled the head and bolted the ARP head studs down with the new Honda OEM head gasket...

Then we have a pic of the engine lying in the distance behind the Porsche GT2.....

Also my exhaust came in....full 3 inch from the down pipe back, high flow cat, resonator and muffler...all Magnaflow...can't wait to put in on

Engine mounts...innovative mount 60a....that don't fit my engine!!!!!:squintfin

and the beast finally came in...GT2860RS

so that's it for now...ill update you guys again as soon as there's new **** going on

Modified by patrickd_21 at 9:37 AM 6/27/2007

Modified by patrickd_21 at 9:40 AM 6/27/2007

Modified by patrickd_21 at 9:41 AM 6/27/2007

UPDATE #7

July 6th 2007

well like promised, here's the little update...its coming along nicely and im now working on the details

Modified by patrickd_21 at 4:33 AM 7/6/2007

UPDATE #8

JUKY 15TH

The start :

Out with the old :bigup:

Empty bay:

Cleaned engine bay and hood *tu*:

Modified by patrickd_21 at 7:41 PM 7/15/2007

Modified by patrickd_21 at 6:49 AM 7/17/2007

UPDATE #9

July 17th 2007

Here are some pics of the engine in...since last night the exhaust has also been installed and it looks sick but i was too lazy to take pics of that....so anyways here they are:bigup:

Modified by patrickd_21 at 4:14 AM 7/18/2007

UPDATE #10
AUGUST 2ND 2007

Ok guys i came back from the bahamas on saturday night and last night i took some pics of the progress and let me just say that rd turbo is the ****:bigup: but anyways; today we're doing some last minute things to be done and it's hopefully gonna fire up so that i can drive away with it today or tomorrow to start the break in...hopefully today lol

But ya here are some pics taken last night....sorry for the camera phone pics lol

I moved in this picture so it ****ed up but you can kinda get the point of the turbo + wastegate etc...

Modified by patrickd_21 at 4:28 AM 8/2/2007
Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice. keep us posted and more pics
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome! Where did you buy the turbo? Directly from garrett?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicsi940)

nice build up, you are going to love the sound of that exhaust i have the same thing just 3 inch from the turbo back no cat or resonator.. good luck and keep us posted. oh yeha what is the set up??
Old 06-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (evokidvii)

Im no expert on exhausts or metalwork but some the the welds on that thing look fricken ugly
Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
* B A N N E D *

the welds look alright but you should have ordered some mandrel bent piping instead of welding multiple pieces of straight pipe together.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

im pretty sure there is NOT any mandel bent piping.... looks straight to me unless my mushrooms kicked in too early.... o damn.. here they come
Old 06-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akunamatta)

sohc
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: My 350whp engine build thread...(I think my old one got deleted so heres a new one....) (patrick

looks real clean, keep us up to date
Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 350whp engine build thread...(I think my old one got deleted so heres a new one....) (patrick

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoB44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks real clean, keep us up to date</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well most of the bends are mendrel bent but for the price i paid the exhaust i am very satisfied!

and yea it sucks that they closed down my other thread i had going on because i had my whole setup in there.....

I have a link to turbod16.com where i posted the exact same thread as the one that dot deleted on here so if you guys want more info and pics on my setup, you can check this out

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=32241
Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akunamatta)

and yes i think it is your mush kicking in early lol
Old 06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice progress.

Any plans for future drags? autocross?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep...i'll probably start off just getting used to the car on the drag strip...not too hard core of a drag setup, most likely just slicks...hope to be in the 11's on slicks...and then in a year or two turn it into an autcross beast
Old 06-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

set up looks nice. keep us posted.. and good luck
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice
Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn nice but you should have got the gt28rs with the .80 a/r exhaust housing...
you might not make it much past 300 whp
Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

^^^^I'm really praying that won't be the case....well even if i hit 325whp I think ill be satisfied
Old 06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patrickd_21)

ttt
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (patrickd_21)

I was just wondering, I have seen SOOO many people with a turbo built civic just like you OP , but aren't you guys scared of the cops? I always thought turbo is ILLEGAL in cali? How do you guys go about this? I wanted to turbo my b16 for a while... but scared about the cops since my car is for daily driver...

As for your built OP, its sweet and great. I want to built a turbo for my car for a WHILE now..
Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dohcteg)

^ that makes sense........ 99% of the "JDM" hondas I see from Cali are N/A.

I don't understand why California is 3000 times more strict with emissions than everyone else.

And how they crush the cars for street racing, thats not right at all.

On topic, i can't wait to see this thing progress.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoJDM)

vive le quebec and our non-strick laws!

nice stuff patrick, do u go to any meets or anything, i wanna see this thing when its done!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deevin9)

ya well i go to a couple like lafleurs and stuff but not regularily...but since so many people want to see this thing when im done with it, im probably gonna hit up alot of meets later
Old 06-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dohcteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering, I have seen SOOO many people with a turbo built civic just like you OP , but aren't you guys scared of the cops? I always thought turbo is ILLEGAL in cali? How do you guys go about this? I wanted to turbo my b16 for a while... but scared about the cops since my car is for daily driver...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's only illegal if you draw attention to yourself and then get caught
running from the po po FTW

all kidding aside...you can have a boosted car in Cali...it's just that the emissions is a lot more strict there...so things like open DPs and un-recirculated BOVs are frowned upon by authorities.

oh, and to the OP, looks good but i noticed in the 2nd pic the block casting near where the rod end is looks like it's about to crack...but it could be just me. looks good and keep us filled in with some updates!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the engine setup? if u dont mind me askin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 350whp engine build thread...(I think my old one got deleted so heres a new one....)