Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

mushy brake pedal :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mushy brake pedal :(

i noticed my brake pedal is a little mushy. i could press the brake all the way down if i wanted to when its pressed down at a stoplight. now, i noticed the brake fluid in the resevoir is less than a inch below MAX. the questions are, should i bleed my brakes for the possibility of air being trapped? or do you guys think it could be my master cylinder going bad?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
most hood white kid

i would try an adjusting the brakes, then bleed them, if that doesn't work then definitely is the master cylinder.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

i had the same problem, no constant pedal feel, and if you push hard and long enough the pedal makes its way to the floor. if you're lucky its air in the lines. but if its like mine....

time to get a new M/C
Old 09-15-2004, 10:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

how much do mc's go for?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:59 AM
most hood white kid

in my first car, an 89 Beretta, they were pretty pricy, like 125 bucks I think, but not sure for your car. Just go look on the Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts website and check out the prices
Old 09-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same problem, no constant pedal feel, and if you push hard and long enough the pedal makes its way to the floor. if you're lucky its air in the lines. but if its like mine....

time to get a new M/C</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turn the car off, then push on the pedal a few times. It should stiffen. If it does, the mechanicals are fine. Flush / change your brake fluid. It should solve the problem of a squishy pedal.

Most brakes will go all the way to the floor if you push long and hard enough while sitting with the motor running (you have to work at it, and do it intentionally; which it sounds like you did). The problem is when you push while breaking and it hits the floor, or if there's no pedal pressure at all.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Turn the car off, then push on the pedal a few times. It should stiffen. If it does, the mechanicals are fine. Flush / change your brake fluid. It should solve the problem of a squishy pedal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahhh, i see. when the car is off, and i pump the brake, it does stiffen so in this case, i just need to bleed the brakes. can anyone confirm just to make sure?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 09-15-2004, 05:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

GUMP
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 PM
AVA
Sláinte

Default Re: (EJcoupe)

Your brake pads might be glazed over
Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

?? explain. i thought the mc and brake fluid has to do with the pressure in the brake pedal.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
AVA
Sláinte

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">?? explain. i thought the mc and brake fluid has to do with the pressure in the brake pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does it?

Thats irrelevant to what I'm saying.

If your break pads are 'glazed over' it means you didnt break them in properly, or whatever. And you need to replace them.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

oh, yea. what you're saying is irrelevent cause my pads dont have anything to do w/ my problem.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:12 PM
AVA
Sláinte

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, yea. what you're saying is irrelevent cause my pads dont have anything to do w/ my problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you werent such a dumbass and actually listened to people trying to help, you would fix the problem.

Mushy brake pedal is a symptom of glazed over pads, so why dont you atleast look into it instead of being a fuckface all the time?

Bunch of ********* in EG+ nowadays.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (^Jae)

so im a dumbass, fuckface, and ********. cause i dont know what the **** "glazed over pad's" are or the question should be, do you?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ^Jae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does it?

Thats irrelevant to what I'm saying.

If your break pads are 'glazed over' it means you didnt break them in properly, or whatever. And you need to replace them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if im not mistaken, i have to have new pads to brake them in correct? "or whatever", right? i have oem pads that have about 5-10k on em so that eliminates your suggestion doesn't it? fyi, you're the dumbass cause you dont know how to explain your theory, you're a fuckface cause you got all butthurt from what i said, and you're a ******** cause you had to reply that way, bye
Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 PM
AVA
Sláinte

Considering you've racked up almost 1000 posts in 5 goddamn months , I would assume you knew how to search. This is what I found in a mere 20 seconds...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnzm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u need to be easy on the pads until they are broken in, or u will be only grabbing a part of the rotor since the pad will not fully be contacting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So yes, you need to be easy on the pads until they are broken in, ect I suppose you can read.

So take out your pads, and check them for a glossy 'glaze' and if it has this.. Then that is your problem. Bleed your brake system while your at it and please, learn how to search.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glazed over pads wont cause bad pedal feel tho, just bad braking....
Old 09-15-2004, 08:33 PM
AVA
Sláinte

Default Re: (xerox445)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">glazed over pads wont cause bad pedal feel tho, just bad braking....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they do, I would know because I have glazed over pads.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:34 PM

ok guys settle down. hes just trying to help. i see both of your sides

so if u dont agree that it is even a possablility for the pads to be glazed over then ok... thats your decision.

i dont neccesaraly think they are so bleed your shiz
Old 09-15-2004, 08:36 PM
AVA
Sláinte

Default Re: (mugensport9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys settle down. hes just trying to help. i see both of your sides

so if u dont agree that it is even a possablility for the pads to be glazed over then ok... thats your decision.

i dont neccesaraly think they are so bleed your shiz</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and while hes at it check your goddamn pads! Its not that fuxoring hard good god.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and it amazing that all the other car clicks think where little punks...........
Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ahhh, i see. when the car is off, and i pump the brake, it does stiffen so in this case, i just need to bleed the brakes. can anyone confirm just to make sure?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Confirm you need to flush and replace your brake fluid, inspect your pads and rotors. Look for grooves, iron filings, dust, fluid, check the bearing grease seal, and some other stuff Im sure I forgot. This is a safety issue, so dont put it off till you get panicked on the superhighway reacting to that semi with hay bales on it tipping over.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ^Jae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes they do, I would know because I have glazed over pads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you smoking?

How could glazed over pads cause bad pedal feel. Pedal feel is directly related to the travel of the MC piston, the fluid in the lines, and the travel in the piston in the caliper. Glazed over pads means you have a bad surface on your pads, not you dont have enough material. The spongy feel is from to much travel in the caliper or the MC, air in the lines, or a leaky Brake Booster/Master Cyl. Glazed over pads will just stop shitty, and in turn you will have to apply more brake pressure to stop. That is why your having a problem, it has nothing to do with pedal feel. What kind of MC/BB are your running, and how old they. I would think you have a compound problem if your claiming that glazed over pads are making your brake pedal feel like crap.

Just the fact that your glazed over your pads, warrents that you beat the **** out of your car. Simple enough. Todays brake materials and compounds are very resitant to that kind of abuse and it takes extreem situations for that to arise.

Did you ever think that your MC/BB is bad, and or you have air in your lines, and your pads are fine? How do you know your pads are glazed over....
Old 09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ^Jae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Considering you've racked up almost 1000 posts in 5 goddamn months , I would assume you knew how to search. This is what I found in a mere 20 seconds...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

why dont you check my classified ads for that is where most of my posts are

thanks everyone else for the help, im flushing my brake lines right now so ill get back to you
Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mushy brake pedal :( (EJcoupe)

I have same problem.