Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

muffler setup question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler setup question

I have a 96 coupe and i wanted to know how anyones muffler setup is like?..I will have an ls swap and i wanted to get a world sport catback exhaust...if theres anyone with this setup or anything similar can u let me know how that goes?...my boy told me to get a high flow cat and weld it on..but he also told me that i can use an oem cat from any b series also..so0o im juss a lil confused..
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: muffler setup question (kidruk)

well it depends how legit you want your car to be,
If you dont care, run header, cat delete and exhaust.
If your gonna have (2) O2 sensors get a cat delete with a bung.

If you wanna be super quiet and you have a cat that goes with the swap( it bolts to header on the engine) same as above.

to simplify, anything made for the 99-00 Si will bolt right up to your car. cause its the same chassis and it has a b series. I'm almost 100% that the flanges are all the same.

My advice to you is avoid having the local midas weld up some trick ****. I've had nothing but bad luck with most shops.

Bolt-on cat back is the way to go if you have the cash.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: muffler setup question (tougeEGsies)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tougeEGsies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well it depends how legit you want your car to be,
If you dont care, run header, cat delete and exhaust.
If your gonna have (2) O2 sensors get a cat delete with a bung.

If you wanna be super quiet and you have a cat that goes with the swap( it bolts to header on the engine) same as above.

to simplify, anything made for the 99-00 Si will bolt right up to your car. cause its the same chassis and it has a b series. I'm almost 100% that the flanges are all the same.

My advice to you is avoid having the local midas weld up some trick ****. I've had nothing but bad luck with most shops.

Bolt-on cat back is the way to go if you have the cash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much my opinion as well. And I'm not just saying that to up my post count or bullshit like that. Just saves me time from typing out basically the same thing this guy is saying.

Financially, If I were you I would buy a nice High Flow cat (Carsound makes VERY good ones @ a great price), then I would buy whichever MUFFLER that you prefer. Just the muffler itself...

Then I would take it to any reputable exhaust shop, have them weld a flange onto the cat so it bolts up to your header, and fab you up some piping if whichever diameter you need for your application, and add your muffler to the end obviously.

It sounds like alot of work, but it will be MUCH cheaper than buying a cat, and a full brand name catback, and HOPE that it bolts up since the motor in your car isnt the motor that it came with, yanno? Im not sure if you buy a cat back that is meant for your car YEAR, will fit with the header length of the B series. Someone else will have the answer you need though.

Good luck man! It'll work out fine whichever route you choose. If you have more questions just ask.

And your friend is right by saying any b series cat WILL bolt up to your Bseries header, but since you're going for performance you'll want something with optimal flow. Im not sure about how much used B series cats are going for, but the Carsound isnt very expensive and you'll be happy with it in the end. And it comes with an o2 bung so you can stay legal too

ALSO, in my opinion the World Sport is a great choice. I dont know if you've ever heard it in person but its very quiet compared to most others since its chambered I believe, and not a straight through canister style like the N1. Anothe good choice is one of those OBX or Megan Racing Mugen knock off Ebay "Twin Loop" mufflers. They'll run you like 90 bucks shipped and I've heard NOTHING but good things about it and they sound incredible. I actually have one but its wrapped until xmas haha. When I get it installed I'll post a sound clip for ya but it'll be a few weeks.

Again..good luck brotha.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: muffler setup question (I Shot 50 Cent)

nice..thx for the help fellas..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pretty much my opinion as well. And I'm not just saying that to up my post count or bullshit like that. Just saves me time from typing out basically the same thing this guy is saying.

Financially, If I were you I would buy a nice High Flow cat (Carsound makes VERY good ones @ a great price), then I would buy whichever MUFFLER that you prefer. Just the muffler itself...

Then I would take it to any reputable exhaust shop, have them weld a flange onto the cat so it bolts up to your header, and fab you up some piping if whichever diameter you need for your application, and add your muffler to the end obviously.

It sounds like alot of work, but it will be MUCH cheaper than buying a cat, and a full brand name catback, and HOPE that it bolts up since the motor in your car isnt the motor that it came with, yanno? Im not sure if you buy a cat back that is meant for your car YEAR, will fit with the header length of the B series. Someone else will have the answer you need though.

Good luck man! It'll work out fine whichever route you choose. If you have more questions just ask.

And your friend is right by saying any b series cat WILL bolt up to your Bseries header, but since you're going for performance you'll want something with optimal flow. Im not sure about how much used B series cats are going for, but the Carsound isnt very expensive and you'll be happy with it in the end. And it comes with an o2 bung so you can stay legal too

ALSO, in my opinion the World Sport is a great choice. I dont know if you've ever heard it in person but its very quiet compared to most others since its chambered I believe, and not a straight through canister style like the N1. Anothe good choice is one of those OBX or Megan Racing Mugen knock off Ebay "Twin Loop" mufflers. They'll run you like 90 bucks shipped and I've heard NOTHING but good things about it and they sound incredible. I actually have one but its wrapped until xmas haha. When I get it installed I'll post a sound clip for ya but it'll be a few weeks.

Again..good luck brotha. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My problem is def financially..i was thinking of getting a universal world sport exhaust..i believe its 2.25 or 2.50 inches..get a high flow cat..and have it welded as u said above...with that said my boy told me that in most cases the piping at the shop i would get wouldnt be stainless steel..and to just go with the worldsport catback for more safety and quality..the shop charges i believe 150 to customize piping..that cost is nice..they have a pretty ok reputation..juss testing waters here..havent made a final decision yet..

-thanks again
Old 12-19-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: muffler setup question (kidruk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kidruk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice..thx for the help fellas..

My problem is def financially..i was thinking of getting a universal world sport exhaust..i believe its 2.25 or 2.50 inches..get a high flow cat..and have it welded as u said above...with that said my boy told me that in most cases the piping at the shop i would get wouldnt be stainless steel..and to just go with the worldsport catback for more safety and quality..the shop charges i believe 150 to customize piping..that cost is nice..they have a pretty ok reputation..juss testing waters here..havent made a final decision yet..

-thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see I see... Well you're definitely thinking logically so I'm sure your final decision would be the right one.

Good luck to you!