Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Muffler Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PERFORMANCE MUFFLER & COURT ADVICE NEEDED PLS

Hi

1 year ago I purchased a 1994 Honda Civic DX 5 speed manual transmission vehicle and the exhaust piping was already changed to 2.5.

I do see one resonator on it as well. I purchased a fireball performance muffler with a silencer recently for it, and then I got pulled over by the police 3 weeks after it was installed. The officer said it was too loud and he could hear it a block away.

I told the officer it has a silencer on it, but he said it was too still too loud . The offer then gave me 3 tickets. 1 for unnecessary noise, 1 for improper muffler, and another for failure to surrender insurance (I just simply gave him an expired insurance card by accident, but I had the right one with me).

I really like the sound of the muffler & it does give me a little kick at the higher rpms. I want to keep this muffler and not be forced to cut it off. What's the legal decibel limit in Ontario Canada for mufflers? Also, how can I beat this in court so I can keep my muffler? Any suggestions is welcome as well...what should I do? I really dont want to go back to an oem muffler.

Modified by deathadder at 1:18 AM 11/19/2006
Old 11-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Muffler Advice Needed. (deathadder)

2.5 inches is probably too big of pipes for a n/a d series. i have always heard 2.25 is best and check your local laws. you can usually find them online, search google then get someone with a decibel reader to check to see if your's falls into legal or illegal limits. thats my .02
Old 11-19-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Muffler Advice Needed. (ridin98civic)

I did a google searh for hrs regarding legal muffler decibel levels for Ontario Canada, but I only get links to State legal lvls in the USA. Does anyone know a Canadian link off hand I could check out?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Muffler Advice Needed. (deathadder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deathadder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did a google searh for hrs regarding legal muffler decibel levels for Ontario Canada, but I only get links to State legal lvls in the USA. Does anyone know a Canadian link off hand I could check out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im in ottawa, On and i found this

(10) The exhaust system including exhaust manifolds, shall be inspected and,

(a) no exhaust pipe, muffler or tail pipe shall be missing, or insecurely mounted;

(b) no leakage shall be present at any point in the exhaust system, except through drain holes provided by the manufacturer;

(c) no component thereof shall be so located as to cause charring or other heat damage to any wiring, fuel line, brake line or combustible material of the vehicle;

(d) no component thereof shall pass through the occupant compartment;

(e) no component thereof shall be so located or unguarded that an individual may be burned thereby on entering or leaving the vehicle; and

(f) no exhaust system shall be shortened or modified from original equipment so as to fail to direct the exhaust beyond the underbody of the occupant compartment or luggage compartment, and in no case shall the distance between the outlet and periphery of the underbody, past which it directs the exhaust, exceed 15 centimetres.

doesnt say anything about noise...

im tired and going to bed, here's the link

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DB...e.htm
Old 11-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Muffler Advice Needed. (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DB...e.htm

THIS link, however, more complete i find states:
Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

so it can probably be faught to find out how much noise is REASONABLE
Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Muffler Advice Needed. (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

thanks for that link.