Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MSD DIGITAL SCI HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD DIGITAL SCI HELP PLEASE

Hello,
I live in middletown CT and I towed my buddy's 95' civic Del Sol S to my house because he couldn't get it running. It has been sitting at his house for over 2 years and I did all the routine things for a car sitting, and it still wouldn't start. It has good fuel pressure at the injectors but it isn't getting any spark. I checked the MSD super CAP and it is good. I think I narrowed it down to the MSD Digital SCI that he put in. He must have installed it wrong. I ran all the checks on the SCI and they are all good. The problem is this, The digital SCI trigger wire(white) must be in the wrong place. When it gets a trigger the red light on the SCI is supposed to blink and it doesn't when it is cranking. If I take the white wire off the ICM and tap it to ground I get spark and the red light blinks like it is supposed to. His ICM on this car has 4 prongs on it. Can someone tell me which wires should be connected to the ICM and on what prongs? The other problem is that all the diagrams I have pulled off the net have different colors for the wires that are in his car.
I currently have the following:
black/yellow - ignition switch 12VDC - I used this for the power of the SCI
Green - ?
Yellow/Blue - ?
I assume the other prong must have connected to the OEM ignition coil somehow.

If anyone can help I would be greatly appreciated. I can send pics if necessary too. notsogrownupjay@comcast.net

I have been focusing on dealing with distributorless ignitions and rotary engines lately so this is kindof a history lesson for me...LOL

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: MSD DIGITAL SCI HELP PLEASE (rotaryjay)

both input wires should be connected inside the distributor to the 2 wires that came off the stock coil. 1 is ign, the other is tach.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Re: MSD DIGITAL SCI HELP PLEASE (JSPECSIR)

the stock coil was removed and an MSD blaster cap was installed afterwards. so the OEM coil and it's wires aren't there.
I will load in some pics tomorrow when there is some sun for me to take some photos.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean not there? did you pull the oem wire out of the distributor? they unscrew from the stock coil, and should still be there after the coil is removed.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Re: MSD DIGITAL SCI HELP PLEASE (JSPECSIR)

I guess when He put the Blaster Cap in and took out the stock coil, he must have removed the wires for the stock coil. I'm still trying to figure out what he did. there are just the 3 wires I mentioned earlier in the ditributor. It's weird I know.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take a pic inside the dist.